O's make statement about September 5th. O's Game will not be moved.

Tony-OH

You do realize that the White Sox series, which was debated ad nausea here, fell at the same time as the Grand Prix, at which point the area around Camden Yards looked like it was preparing for some sort of battle? Never mind that the White Sox don't travel well, at all, and nobody in Baltimore wants to go see the White Sox, and the fact that schools had just started back up that week. So lets review shall we:

1. Grand Prix

2. A ballpark nobody could get to or had to jump through hoops to get through

3. A team nobody travels to see or wants to see

4. School nights

But oh no, lets not let logic get in our way. :rolleyes:

Well here is some logic:

On Thursday September 5 2013 the Ravens will be opening their season on prime time TV and school will be in session. Many Ravens/O's fans will opt to watch the NFL on TV after getting there kids to bed at 8:00 PM (I'll be one). The O's and White Sox will play before <15,000 in paid attendance, less than 10,000 if the O's are out of the race.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well here is some logic:

On Thursday September 5 2013 the Ravens will be opening their season on prime time TV and school will be in session. Many Ravens/O's fans will opt to watch the NFL on TV after getting there kids to bed at 8:00 PM (I'll be one). The O's and White Sox will play before <15,000 in paid attendance, less than 10,000 if the O's are out of the race.

That doesnt sound like logic... it sounds more like your opinion.

There will be a decent crowd at OPACY. Baltimore is filled with die hard baseball fans... not everyone is a Ravens fan :cool:

Meh.

The Ravens probably don't really care all that much as long as they're not losing revenue (and they won't.) I guess the fans might care, but I'm not 100% sure why... they've gotta play 8 at home and 8 on the road regardless.

Goodell sucks.

Because Baltimore likes to party and opening up the season at home with the entire country watching is something SB champs should get.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean much but the Baltimore chip on my shoulder is making me mad, I just don't know who to direct my anger at.

I'll tell you why I'm mad. I booked an event to come film in Baltimore the weekend of the 7th for a reduce rate ONLY BECAUSE it gave me an extra reason to fly across the country for the Ravens home opener. The last time we won the Superbowl, for some reason we didn't get the home opener as well, instead getting the 2nd Monday night game, to which i bought tickets and a flight, (as well as two 3rd baseline tix to Orioles home games for Cal Ripken's last home games), and after 9/11, none of that happened either! I was extremely excited about going to the season opener, and now am very annoyed that I have to fly home to film an event and get no Ravens game. I'll go to some O's games, but I'm already flying home for a couple O's games this summer.

Extremely frustrated...

Guest rochester
The suit seems to indicate that they are trying.

I am not a big fan of clogging up the courts, especially when a majority do not have merit, but I like this one. Not only (IMO) it have merit but may persuade these other money-grubbing "clinics" to think twice. Saying that, I would find it interesting if a player or two were named as well - THAT would be ugly and precedent setting... and probably not smart.

Well here is some logic:

Given that you know nothing about the circumstances of the series you cited, I don't think I'll be trusting your opinion about what will happen almost six months from now.

I am not a Ravens fans (moved away from MD well before they arrived) and am not really much of a pro football fan, so I am really asking this out of curiosity; it's not a loaded question. What, really, are the Raven fans losing here? I assume the first Ravens game in Baltimore will include all kinds of celebratory stuff regardless of what day the game is played. I can understand that you might feel like you are going to miss something because of the "controversy", but what are you really missing? Again, this is an honest question. I am not trying to jerk anyone's chain.

As a Ravens season ticket holder since The Move (and lifelong O's fan), here's my honest answer: I was really looking forward to attending THE major event of the NFL regular season (at least it's first month, anyway), the one game that kicks off the whole year. America's insatiable appetite for football is finally whetted on Sept 5th after an unbearable offseason, and just about every NFL fan in America is tuned in. It's a great source of pride that we get to host this game - not out of some whim of a greedy network exec somewhere who thinks we'll draw big ratings, but because our team EARNED it by winning the Super Bowl! The city will be so jazzed. The fans will be so psyched. Hard to imagine a better atmosphere. And while some laugh at the 7-year "tradition" (or whatever the short amount of time this Thursday night thing has been going on), it's a GOOD tradition, a positive reward for the team/city that won it all: Opening at home and then getting 10 days to prefer for Week 2. It may not have been around long, but it's a nice perk for the Super Bowl Champ that should continue, whether this is its 2nd year or 30th year.

And, one negative that hasn't been mentioned is that it's more likely than not that the Ravens will play their first home game with an 0-1 record (home teams win a lot more than they lose in the NFL, and since we're likely to visit Denver on Opening Night... I don't like our chances). We likely won't even get that brief moment in the sun at M&T Bank Stadium as The NFL's Best Team, Defending Champion Baltimore Ravens. We'll just be the 0-1 Ravens, hoping to get back to .500 in their home opener, which will only be a big deal at that point to fans in Baltimore. The atmosphere will still be electric, but 1/10th what it could be the week before.

So while it will be more or less forgotten by December, especially if the Ravens are doing well, it IS a big deal to me and a lot of other Ravens fans right now. I hope I've done a decent job explaining why...?

I'm not so much trying to vilify the O's or MLB as much as I'm upset about the outcome. If we were playing the game on Wedneday night, I'd be fine. If we were playing on Sunday night, I'd be fine. I just think it sucks that the losers in this situation are the fans.

I didn't mean to imply that YOU were trying to vilify the Orioles. But the NFL (and therefore the Ravens) most certainly were. I think the firing-synapse portion of the population saw through the league's deceptions.

I still can't believe that there are people in Baltimore that are blasting the Orioles for this as if it was their fault.

What's more disappointing is that there are people here that legitimately buy the religious angle being spoon fed to them by the NFL spin machine.

And, one negative that hasn't been mentioned is that it's more likely than not that the Ravens will play their first home game with an 0-1 record

Its not even April yet and this is what people are thinking? The game hasn't even been announced yet.

What's more disappointing is that there are people here that legitimately buy the religious angle being spoon fed to them by the NFL spin machine.

The NFL can spin it because they had a meeting and said they discussed the possibility of playing on Wednesday but decided not to because of the Jewish holiday...thats all they needed to do to play the religous card.... however, we all know that the NFL & NBC want this game and will do whatever it takes to have it played on a thursday night.

which is why the ravens are playing on the road..

This whole story is getting old... not sure why people are acting like big babies just to celebrate the SB victory again... :noidea:

This whole story is getting old... not sure why people are acting like big babies just to celebrate the SB victory again... :noidea:

Because we're enthusiastic fans, we're being "big babies"?

I invest a lot of money in the Ravens every year. I enjoy each game. But the ultimate goal when training camp opens each summer, the reason I spend all that $$, is the hope of seeing my team win it all. I have a close friend pushing 80 years old, who reminds me anytime my team is close to a championship, to cherish every moment, because we have no idea when it might happen again. I certainly didn't think, back in '83, that it would be at least 30 years before the O's would win again! So, yeah, I'd like the Super Bowl celebration to at least last until the season opener of the following season. I want every bit of pomp and circumstance I can get while we're the champs. These bragging rights don't last for long, so I want to enjoy every second. I would think a passionate sports fan of any sport would understand that.

Archived