O's wanna move Ayala

Greg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would Pittsburgh do that deal? McPherson is going to be in their starting rotation. And McKenry is their back up catcher.

A man can dream. I thought they would like something to help with their loss of Hanrahan. I think Ayala would be a good addition to Grilli.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be a fan of this move unless we had a very good reason to do it. Ayala is a guy who seems comfortable in any situation and usually finds a way to get out of trouble. Unless he's part of a package to improve this team (currently or future...no "warm body" type move), I'd have to hold onto this guy.

Trading him makes sense. Last year except for when Eveland had the role when Lindstrom was out we didn't really have a long man in the pen. That is a perfect way to keep McFarland on the roster. I like Ayala but common sense said all along he had the least importance going forward from the right side. They got away with keeping Flaherty all last year and it looks like they are going to try it again and give McFarland a role we didn't have filled last year.

This wouldn't be the worst move the O's could make but he is a good reliever and doesn't make a whole lot (in the baseball world) so I don't see any reason to move him for nothing just to make room for guys like Hunter or McFarland. I'd rather Ayala than either of those two.

I'm on the other side. I think both of the pitchers you mentioned have more upside. It would take a lot for Ayala to pitch as well as he did last year.

Ayala needs to start an inning to do well. We have seventh, eighth, and ninth accounted for, so the need is for long, lefty, power arm, and situational shut down guys. Not Ayala's specialty.

Right, his inherited runners scored % was high.

Ideally I would like to see a high upside guy in the lower minors.

I think Drungo mentioned this before, but we really don't have a need on the ML club right now so this makes the most sense. Find a future catcher or OF, wherever you can make the best deal.

Take a look at the money tied up in project pitchers for the Pirates. Don't you think Ayala is a bargain at twice minimum?

He's absolutely a bargain, but nobody's going to give up anything for a 35 year old middle reliever with bad peripherals. I like Ayala, but his trade value is near zero.

He's absolutely a bargain, but nobody's going to give up anything for a 35 year old middle reliever with bad peripherals. I like Ayala, but his trade value is near zero.

Bad peripherals? He's a solid reliever, making nothing, coming off a great year. I'd infinitely rather keep him than just save the 1M.

Bad peripherals? He's a solid reliever, making nothing, coming off a great year. I'd infinitely rather keep him than just save the 1M.

So would I. His value to the team is much greater than his trade value. All I was saying is that we're not getting anything for him if we move him.

Archived