O's wanna move Ayala

Greg

Yeah, but you aren't asking McFarland to do Ayala's job. You're asking Hunter to do Ayala's job. Would you rather have Hunter available as the long man of the pen or have no long man at all? Second question. Do you think Hunter can replace Ayala adequately as a setup guy?

Right. Essentially, it boils down to this:

Hunter in a 1 IP role & McFarland in a long relief > Ayala in a 1 IP role & Hunter in long relief.

They think they're upgrading both spots by trading Ayala. Whether that is true remains to be seen (I haven't been impressed at all with McFarland), but their logic makes sense.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but you aren't asking McFarland to do Ayala's job. You're asking Hunter to do Ayala's job. Would you rather have Hunter available as the long man of the pen or have no long man at all? Second question. Do you think Hunter can replace Ayala adequately as a setup guy?

I'll agree with RZ's statement here (:eek: shocking I know)

Right. Essentially, it boils down to this:

Hunter in a 1 IP role & McFarland in a long relief > Ayala in a 1 IP role & Hunter in long relief.

They think they're upgrading both spots by trading Ayala. Whether that is true remains to be seen (I haven't been impressed at all with McFarland), but their logic makes sense.

I wasn't at first, but I think he's been better as of late. His last outing was better than Matusz. A few of those HRs were wind aided and he struck out five over 4 innings. I like that he's a ground ball pitcher in our park and as much that I thought Matusz was going to become a starter again I'm just not sure anymore. He might be best out of the pen and give McFarland the first shot after Arrieta if he fails and Johnson isn't healthy.

I'm not sure Hunter can do Ayala's job. I'd like to keep a 23-yr old lefty, and I like Hunter out of the 'pen, but the guy is a lock to have an ERA around 4 in my opinion. Yes, he'll throw 95, but will he keep the ball in the ballpark?

Check his stats from last Sept in the pen. Zero HRs allowed.

Use him in one inning stints and he can get it done.

Could you be more specific. Trading a 35 year old reliever, replacing him with a 27 year old (Hunter) who looked good last September, and getting a promising LH starting pitcher on the staff as the long man is bizarro world?

Flaherty over Casilla is also a legit question to be asked.

Please stop peeing on my Cheerios.

It was a post about the general outlook of the team. It is much improved. That is all.

I don't get this , why would we give up Ayala instead of 'Home-run' Hunter ??? Ayala was solid for us last year and really seemed to fit in the clubhouse and Bull-pen pretty well.

You have to look at when each player is worth the most.

First the O's have more pitchers than spots. This is Britton and Matusz's last option year if they get optioned any time this year. So they may have to be on the 25 man roster next year. Bundy and Gausman are coming. Wada may be healthy by mid season. The O's probably have to make a decision of Jurrjen by mid June. Some of the starters could get moved to the pen during the year. There will be pitchers that need to be traded for released at some point.

Ayala is on a one year contract coming off a good year. His highest value is now. Each month he pitches his value goes down because he has few months under O's control. That is why the O's are trying to trade him now.

Hunter has very low value now because of his overall numbers from last year. However if he is in his optimum role - short reliever - and does well, he will be worth more at the deadline if the O's decide to trade him. He has three more years under O's control so his value on the market is not just this year.

DD and Buck are trying to maximize player's value.

Archived