Betemit injured running the base paths (Update: out 6-8 weeks)

xian4

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gives Reimold and McClouth a chance to step up full time but DD needs to bring someone in. I never liked having Betemit be the DH in the first place but that leaves too much uncertainty at LF/DH (without him).

Highly doubt we can bring in a top option but we need to add depth here.

Looks like a serious leg or ankle injury. Carted off on golf cart. Not good. Could

Pearce or Ford be the logical replacement if this is a serious injury ?

I saw the ankle buckle first, and then he came down on the right knee, and it bent the wrong way. Just like there was no longer a ligament.

Casilla. Pearce and Davis are capable of filling in there in an emergency as well, albiet not well.

Davis would be the full time firstbaseman only. Wilson was the back up first baseman and thirdbaseman. Now Casilla is. And he is a good defender at third. I assume that Ryan Flaherty takes the spot.

After listening to the interview with Buck, it almost sounds like he feels that the injury will not hurt the team. He said something along the lines of "It will not hurt the team...I feel really bad for the young man." Did anybody else here the same thing? It makes me think that he wanted more flexibility than what Wilson allowed. I wasn't expecting that from the interview. Now it is quite possible what Buck was saying was, "Next man up!" Just thought it was strange to say immediately after a player went down.

Does anyone think Connor Jackson makes the club now instead of Dickerson or Flaherty? Seems like his stock has gone down?

If Jackson makes the team, it will be at the expense of Pearce since he's battling him for the right-handed bench bat. Betemit is a left-handed hitter and was scheduled to be the DH against right-handers. Flaherty and Dickerson would be the players who should benefit the most by Betemit's injury with Flaherty having the edge because of his versatility and the fact Betemit was the back up at 3B as well.

I'm sorry for Betemit. Tough break for a guy who seems like a good fellow.

I do think this allows for a little more versatility on our roster now though. I think the bench will be Pearce (4th OF), Casilla (UIF), Teagarden © and Flaherty (LH DH, UIF, 5th OF).

I could imagine the O's wanting someone like Dickerson to be available in CF, but I think McClouth has the range to fill in fine for a game or two. To me, that means you take Flaherty.

Recovery Time of Knee Sprains: The Short Answer

As sprains are categorized into three different grades, it’s impossible to say exactly how long a knee sprain takes to heal. Here are some rough guidelines.

Recovery time of a grade 1 knee sprain = a few days to a week

Recovery time of a grade 2 knee sprain = one week to a month

Recovery time of a grade 3 knee sprain = several weeks to several months.

http://www.allaboutsprains.com/2012/05/21/sprained-knee-recovery-time/

If this injury is long-term, this gives Flaherty a chance to stick and to get some actual decent playing time at DH. He can also spell Markakis in RF while he's coming back from this neck thing while also backing up 3B, SS, 2B. Nobody likes an injury, but this just gave Flaherty a golden ticket to make this club. Alternatively, Chris Dickerson's minute chances just improved as well.

I think it is incorrect to think that Flaherty wouldn't have made the team anyway. To me, he had a bench spot to lose. This injury helps his case certainly, but I think he would have been safe regardless. Spring stats are overrated and I still am not sold on Pearce making the club.

Archived