Betemit injured running the base paths (Update: out 6-8 weeks)

xian4

Eduardo A. Encina ‏@EddieInTheYard 15s

Betemit MRI shows Grade 2/3 PCL tear with associated injuries. #Orioles

"It really sucked the energy out of the dugout. I didn't even feel like coming back out on the field. I was hoping it was his hamstring. I'm hoping if it's the PCL, you've got a different dynamic, if it's not the ACL. You can rehab and there's no surgery. I'm hoping for even better than that. I don't think I'm going to get it, but I'm hoping it's the PCL."

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather have Betemit, but if he is out for the season, I'd sign Thome as another LH option for DH. Bear in mind, I don't see any one player as full time FH. I don't think that is Buck's plan.

I think he will spell some guys there but not as much as you think. I think before this injury Nolan was going to play vs LHP and Wilson vs RHP. The question was if Nolan was playing well how many AB's was he going to take away from McLouth or Betemit. After this I think Nolan will pretty much be the fulltime guy at DH at the start.

Thome can't play the field and he keeps breaking down. I think if you could add him in late July you would only have to worry about getting thru August with him before the rosters expanded in September. I don't trust him to stay healthy the whole year and he limits your flexibility.

Eduardo A. Encina ‏@EddieInTheYard 15s

Betemit MRI shows Grade 2/3 PCL tear with associated injuries. #Orioles

That is not good in that there is usually significant damage to other structures in the the knee and almost always requires reconstruction and a long recovery period. I know in football we think out for atleast 18 months with a grade 3 PCL. Honestly most never run the same afterwards.

Patients who have grade 3 injuries should be treated with PCL reconstruction. Before surgery the patient should undertake rehabilitation to regain full range of motion and quadriceps strength.

And then there is that. So maybe no Meat.

If we are in the race even if he couldn't come back till August it could only help. He would be a nice bat to have down the stretch.

My young daughter was off school today with the snow and it upset her when he got hurt. He had a good game early in the year at the first dugout club game last year and the crowd was cheering his name a little and she liked that. We took her to FanFest this year for the first time and she got his autograph. I hope for her sake he can make it back this season. I know he isn't a cornerstone player but hopefully he makes it back.

Nick Markakis coming off of an abdominal injury in 2011, was the DH 2 times last year.

Adam Jones (I know you didn't mention him) was the DH 1 time last year.

Chris Davis did DH a lot but that had nothing to do with resting him. He will be at 1B virtually everyday.

Wieters DH'd 9 times last year. It remains to be seen how Buck uses him in that role this year.

Buck talks a good game about resting guys with the DH but in this case, it's just talk.

This is your opinion not mine. I tend to take him at his word. It will be interesting to revisit this later in the season to see how things work out.

Wasn't he going to use the DH to rest guys last year? Who did he rest last year? Jones? No. Markakis? No. Hardy? No. Wieters? Yes. Everyone else who was the DH was a DH type.
Markais won't be up to speed immediately and Wieters can't catch every day. It would be good to keep his bat in the lineup the way he is hitting lately. Same for Ronerts. We had a different team last year than this, and there weren't the opportunities to use DH that way as there are this year. But as I say we'll see. You won't convince me. What Buck actually does will.

Archived