Betemit injured running the base paths (Update: out 6-8 weeks)

xian4

What is odd is that a PCL is normally torn with a bent knee. Running up the stairs or dashboard injury. Never in my career have I had an athlete tear a PCL with a hyperextended knee. A PCL is rehabbed usually quicker than an ACL. In fact often PCL tears are not surgically repaired. So saying he is done for the season may be premature.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reimold might get first crack at those ABs at DH against right-handers, but I think Buck really likes what Flaherty brings to the table offensively and versatility wise and he might end up using Flaherty as a sort of super sub that allows guys to get more rest. I can see Flaherty playing 3B occasionally against a tough right-hander to give Machado a break, second base occasionallt in order to give Roberts a break, and Rf occasionally in order to give Markakis a break. I could see Flaherty starting four times a week including some DH time now that Betemit is out.

Buck wants his bench to be versatile and having a bench of Teagarden, Casillo (2B/SS/PR), Pearce (LF/RF/1B) and Flaherty (OF/INF) gives him some pop from left-side and right-side and some speed on the bench with Casillo. Although like Betemit's bat against right-handers, he truly was a DH because he so sub par everywhere else you play him. Not so with Flaherty.

Flaherty is old enough that he doesn't need to go down to AAA to develop. Buck should be able to find him enough ABs with Betemit out now.

Actually looked like injuries to both legs. Looks like a left leg hamstring and right knee hyperextension

I just squirmed watching the highlight. It really did look like two things happened but I guess not since we're only hearing PCL.

Reimold might get first crack at those ABs at DH against right-handers, but I think Buck really likes what Flaherty brings to the table offensively and versatility wise and he might end up using Flaherty as a sort of super sub that allows guys to get more rest. I can see Flaherty playing 3B occasionally against a tough right-hander to give Machado a break, second base occasionallt in order to give Roberts a break, and Rf occasionally in order to give Markakis a break. I could see Flaherty starting four times a week including some DH time now that Betemit is out.

Buck wants his bench to be versatile and having a bench of Teagarden, Casillo (2B/SS/PR), Pearce (LF/RF/1B) and Flaherty (OF/INF) gives him some pop from left-side and right-side and some speed on the bench with Casillo. Although like Betemit's bat against right-handers, he truly was a DH because he so sub par everywhere else you play him. Not so with Flaherty.

Flaherty is old enough that he doesn't need to go down to AAA to develop. Buck should be able to find him enough ABs with Betemit out now.

I really like this idea. I know guys want to play every day but in the long run rest can only help. I hope Buck is more adamant about that this year.

I just squirmed watching the highlight. It really did look like two things happened but I guess not since we're only hearing PCL.

I really like this idea. I know guys want to play every day but in the long run rest can only help. I hope Buck is more adamant about that this year.

Well its only PCL until they get into the knee.

Just watched the highlight (or lowlight) of the injury on MLB.com. Yikes! You can definitely see when it happens.

Cherish that clip because it might be the last time any of us see Wilson Betemit in an Orioles' uniform.

Well...that's awful.

I'll wait a minute for someone to explain why that isn't neg-rep worthy, but, if I'm reading that properly, it's one of the more deplorable sentiments I've seen expressed on the board.

Well...that's awful.

I'll wait a minute for someone to explain why that isn't neg-rep worthy, but, if I'm reading that properly, it's one of the more deplorable sentiments I've seen expressed on the board.

I don't think he meant it the way you are taking it. I think he was just saying its sad that we won't be seeing him again anytime soon so enjoy what you did see of him.......he just worded it VERY poorly.

I don't think he meant it the way you are taking it. I think he was just saying its sad that we won't be seeing him again anytime soon so enjoy what you did see of him.......he just worded it VERY poorly.

Maybe so...IMO, it's a stretch to read it that way, but maybe so.

Archived