Machado in the two hole?

ChuckS

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There have been comments that Machado shouldn't bat #2 because of his .294 OBP in 2012. However, that was mostly because of a .284 OBP in 149 PA's against right-handed pitchers. Against lefties, in 53 PA's, he had a decent .321 OBP. That's a small sample size, but does indicate that perhaps his overall OBP in 2012 was misleading when he's against lefties. Add that he's got a .356 OBP so far in spring training in 59 PA's (only 15 against lefties, with a .333 OBP), and perhaps it's not such a bad idea having him bat #2 against lefties. I couldn't find his OBP against lefties in the minors, but he had a .359 OBP at AA in 2012 (459 PA). This would also be a judgment call by Buck - if he thinks Manny looks comfortable against lefties, then perhaps he can give this a try, and see if Manny rises to the occasion. I like the idea of having two batters at the top of the lineup before we get to our "Murderer's Row" of Jones-Davis-Wieters-Reimold-Hardy." (I include Hardy because he's over his shoulder problems and hopefully will hit more like he did in 2011 than he did in 2012.) I also think of Reimold as more of a slugger who should bat lower and get more RBIs - I don't like him batting #2.

I kind of like this lineup against lefties:

1. Markakis RF

2. Machado 3rd

3. Adam Jones CF

4. Matt Wieters C

5. Chris Davis 1st

6. Nolan Reimold LF

7. Rick Hardy SS

8. Steve Pierce DH (or Jackson in LF, Reimold at DH?)

9. Brian Roberts 2nd

Against righties:

1. Nick Markakis RF

2. Nate McLouth LF

3. Adam Jones CF

4. Chris Davis 1st

5. Matt Wieters C

6. Nolan Reimold DH

7. Rich Hardy SS

8. Manny Machado 3rd

9. Brian Roberts 2nd

What'd I miss?

In Buck I trust. But I have to say that this one is a test of faith! I would have thought that Reimold would make a better choice for the top of the lineup against a lefty, and that Machado would do better in a lower pressure spot in the order until he gains some more experience.

Agree with everyone who thinks Machado isn't ready for the 2 hole. He's an OBP liability, just like Hardy was. McLouth should hit there against righties and Reimold against lefties.

Winner winner, hot and a brat dinner...

Watching Manny this spring he has shown a lot of plate discipline. He is tied for the lead in walks. He looked good last year, in that he didn't chase a lot of OZ pitches. I think eventually he will be a good OBP guy. I wouldn't have a problem batting him #2 vs LHP. I like Reimold batting 6.

Even the great Buck makes his mistakes. Manny needs to be at the bottom of the order in a low pressure spot. Not 2nd guessing, first guessing. Already said the same. It cost us here.

But if you switch him and Nolan does he get the walk and score the go ahead run?

He certainly isn't my first choice to bat second but I am in favor of giving him more then two games to prove himself.

Archived