2013 Washington Nationals

OFFNY

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats the unthinkable? Firing Davey? That is quite thinkable. Four other MLB teams have thought that and actually have done it.

Davey is too sure of himself.

Sure he is. Why shouldn't he be? He's been a good to great manager everywhere he's gone.

Anyway, there's still a ton of baseball left. Granted, their season hasn't gone the way they've thought it would but there's a lot of time to fix things up. The Orioles scuffled along around .500 before killing it in August and September last year, no reason why the Nats can't.

But they look pretty stupid for holding Strasburg back last year. Last year might have been their only shot.

So if Davey is the problem, what changed between last year when he was a brilliant manager and now?

His team cant hit. And they have a crippled third base. Zimmerman should be at first. They should trade Laroche because I dont think Zimmerman will be able to play third for much longer.

Honestly I dont know if Davey is a problem. Or if he is a bad bullpen manager. I dont follow them. I will admit to enjoying their troubles. I could tell Davey really wanted to stick it to the Orioles last year and thought his team was better and they should be able to do it. But we took four of six. This year we did better by taking three of four. It has to stick in his craw. He wanted to sting Angelos bad.

From what I have seen, Davey has done a poor job with the bullpen this year. But honestly, I just don't think they are as good of a team as everyone thought they were coming into this year. Sure, they have some injuries, but everybody does. Offensively, not having Harper hurts them, but will getting Werth back really turn things around for them? He is probably only going to provide a modest improvement.

They just have a handful of black holes in their lineup. And I hear a lot of their fans just assuming that everything is going to fire on all cylinders when Harper, Werth and Strasburg get back. But how long will it be before someone major gets hurt again? The fact is that they seem to have a lot of guys that look like they are injury prone. Strasburg, Harper, Werth, Zimmerman...that is the core of their team and if I were a Nats fan, I would not be assuming that all of them would be on the field together for any extended period of time.

Whats the unthinkable? Firing Davey? That is quite thinkable. Four other MLB teams have thought that and actually have done it.

Davey is too sure of himself.

Some of the fans are already calling for firing Davey. I listen to the Nats radio for giggles and when they take calls fans are suggesting firing Davey.

Here's what Boswell had to say today:

Davey's really suffering right now because he honestly believes this is a remarkable club in the making. He also second-guesses himself brutally - some of it in public. He pitched to Chris (Crush) Davis last week in Baltimore in a match-up vs. Clippard, who had held LHed hitters to 2-for-37 this season. STILL, Davey was bucking the Book and choosing to face a guy with 18 homers. A couple of pitches later, Davis had 19 and the game turned.

Davey's safe for the rest of the year. Easily. The room is with him. They think they are letting him down, not the other way around. Managers don't win or lose the games that much. You just have to make sure you don't have a manager that is PREVENTING you from winning. They won 98 with Johnson last year. So that question was answered long ago.

The Nats will play better. And with a week left in the season, they'll still be in the playoff pitcure. Granted, that is a MUCH lower evaluation than almost anybody had on Opening Day. But with the schedule they have and players coming back, they still look like an 88-to-91 win team. 90 is about a 90% chance of making the playoffs. Lot of season left. BUT they have played very poorly, tight, burdened by expectations. That, obviously, has to change. The season is so damn long that you almost have to get hot at some point, if only by accident or gifts from your foes. If you still have good morale, plus talent, that one spark can always light the fire. Then, how big does the blaze get, or does it smolder out?

http://live.washingtonpost.com/ask-boswell-130603.html

Some of the fans are already calling for firing Davey. I listen to the Nats radio for giggles and when they take calls fans are suggesting firing Davey.

Oh, absolutely. They are jumping all over him. Davey can't make Zimmerman throw the ball to first, Espinoza hit and Rodriguez throw the ball over the plate. Or keep Harper from running into stationary objects. :)

I don't really have anything against the Nats, but I do love when a team throws ridiculous money at a less-than-great player, justifies it with silly arguments, and then it blows up in their face.

Jayson Werth is 34, has given them 2.1 rWAR over almost 2 1/2 years, and will be owed $83M for his age 35-38 seasons. Without a huge and unexpected turnaround it'll make the short list of dumbest contracts ever. But that's ok, because it showed the world the Nats were for real, and it allowed them to lure in big-money stars like Adam LaRoche and Denard Span and Dan Haren.

I don't really have anything against the Nats, but I do love when a team throws ridiculous money at a less-than-great player, justifies it with silly arguments, and then it blows up in their face.

Jayson Werth is 34, has given them 2.1 rWAR over almost 2 1/2 years, and will be owed $83M for his age 35-38 seasons. Without a huge and unexpected turnaround it'll make the short list of dumbest contracts ever. But that's ok, because it showed the world the Nats were for real, and it allowed them to lure in big-money stars like Adam LaRoche and Denard Span and Dan Haren.

I'll never forget how the DC fans turned on Joe Gibbs. They loved him and then were calling for his head. Nats fans are a bunch of turncoats.

The best part about that was I knew it was going to be a bad move the second I

heard about it a few years ago. Werth was a good player on the Phillies but he never was the guy so to speak. Some moves you just know are bad moves, Albert Haynesworth wiht the Skins is another one I saw from the start. Anyhow, the Nats can still turn it around this year but they do have problems. I think they lack the depth that better teams have

and I do think hubris has gotten the best of them. As the OP puts out, there's always some kind of excuse- really blaming OPACY for the home runs on the same night one of your

guys gets three and OPACY isn't exactly Coors circa 1997. I mean it's a hitters park but it's not the bandbox that Jordan Zimmerman wants to make it out to be. Anyhow, I don''t

really hate the Nats either but I am glad to see us doing better than them especially after seeing the WaPo predict that they would finish first and we'd finish last and derided our

success last year as "luck."

Let's wait until the end of the season before we judge Davey Johnson's managing. Something tells me they will be in pretty good shape by the end of the year.

Problem with that is waiting until the end of the season may be too late to get things turned around this year. Davey somewhat painted himself into a corner by saying "with this talent, it's World Series or bust this year".

Davey and Rizzo = smartest two guys in baseball. Just ask Davey, Rizzo or Tom Boswell. :)

They're only O's fans that jumped ship. Don't let em back.

I don't know if that's exactly fair to them. Some of them absolutely are though. I'll tell you this much. I live in Northern Va which is much closer to D.C than Baltimore obviously and people still wear O's gear here. I doubt you see much people wearing Nats gear in the Baltimore suburbs. I do think with the younger ones though that they're genuine since the Nats are pretty much all they've known since they started following the game. I am just glad I got my 12 year old brother on to the right team early on and now what's crazy is that he

tells me that he actually hates the Nats.

Archived