PITCHES BY INNINGS

81 (51 Strikes, 31 Balls)

15 (91 Strikes, 61 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 51 Balls)

15 (81 Strikes, 71 Balls)

20 (10 Strikes, 10 Balls)

16 (11 Strikes, 51 Balls)

21 (12 Strikes, 91 Balls)

Excluding Hammel's 3 terrible starts against Detroit, TB, and Minnesota his stat line is...

75IP 72H 33ER 11HR 23BB 51K 3.96ERA 1.27WHIP

Just thought this was interesting.

To me this says that he just hasn't been very good this year. Even if you take away his three worst starts his stats look just ok. And of course, his bad starts count too.

Is this the "real" Hammel or can we expect the 2012 version to show up in the 2nd half? Tonight's start was encouraging at least.

Missed in all of last night's 9th inning shenanigans was a very nice start by Mr. Hammel.

I thought he looked pretty darn good with very few balls hit well off of him. Good movement on the fastball, with the slider and curve both looking pretty good as well.

JASON HAMMEL O (vs. WHITE SOX, 7/02)

IP:. 7

H:o 9

R:O 5

BB: 1 *

SO: 7

Pitches: 110 (72 Strikes, 38 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.19

* Hammel also had 1 hit batsman.

PITCHES BY INNINGS

11 (71 Strikes, 41 Balls)

16 (14 Strikes, 21 Balls)

11 (91 Strikes, 21 Balls)

19 (10 Strikes, 91 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 41 Balls)

17 (10 strikes, 71 Balls)

24 (14 Strikes, 10 Balls)

Not even a question. Hammel keeps getting starts.

I posted in the GT that he had given up 6 hits through 3.1 innings but then he only gave up 1 more through 6. I don't understand why he was sent out for the 7th when in the same situation Buck took out Tillman. At 2-1 we were right in the game with a well rested BP.

Hammel is going to give us this kind of start and what's frustrating is Buck is using him like he's still a number one. He isn't. He might be the number five guy on this team. That's fine but please use the BP when it's not a four run game in our favor.

I posted in the GT that he had given up 6 hits through 3.1 innings but then he only gave up 1 more through 6. I don't understand why he was sent out for the 7th when in the same situation Buck took out Tillman. At 2-1 we were right in the game with a well rested BP.

Hammel is going to give us this kind of start and what's frustrating is Buck is using him like he's still a number one. He isn't. He might be the number five guy on this team. That's fine but please use the BP when it's not a four run game in our favor.

A graph was shown on the broadcast according to which Hammel stinks early and late, and is good in the middle. So if anyone should have the short leash, it's him. I do not understand Showalter at times. Hammel had already given him a quality start. You do everything you can do to keep this game a 2-1 game with the top of your order coming up the next inning. The O's gave away another game. I understand "you can't win them all," hitters need to "get ABs," pitchers need to "get IPs" but ultimately this is a competitive sport, where you play to win, always.

Excluding Hammel's 3 terrible starts against Detroit, TB, and Minnesota his stat line is...

75IP 72H 33ER 11HR 23BB 51K 3.96ERA 1.27WHIP

Just thought this was interesting.

This approach I don't particularly like, although it can give a certain perspective.

But do this: subtract his 3 best starts, and see how his stats look. I'd be interested to know.

Either way, none of it matters in the end, because his stats are his cumulative pitching effort, and that is what we have in reality.

Not even a question. Hammel keeps getting starts.

Why is it not a question? Hammel is pitching like the weak link of the rotation. Britton is doing just as well if not better. If Britton can't get out of the 6th he is supposed to go to Norfolk, be traded, or switch to a life of crime.

But Hammel is getting starts based on what now looks like an unsustainable performance from last year.

I personally believe that our problem is not the 5th starter rotation of Garcia, Britton, Arrietta and Gausman. You can't expect too much from a 5th starter and there have been ups and downs. The problem is the Opening Day starter who is the biggest liability in the rotation at the moment, regardless of a 7-5 record. Tillman, Gonzo, Chen are fine as #2-4 starters.

What to do with Hammel? Do the O's keep trotting him out there? Should he be demoted to the bullpen in lieu of Britton?

Britton can't get out of the 6th inning. Hammel is usually good to get you there, and can get you into the 7th. Warts and all, he's going to keep starting. End of discussion.

Archived