Jason Hammel Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just keep in mind that this was a short season team he was facing. In other words this is a level lower then Bundy held to 5 hits in 30 innings last season.

Playoff team or not Hammel should have been able to keep them off the board.

Melewski said the three hits that led to the run were not well hit. And as Hammel said, it's a little more difficult to set those guys up. He doesn't know them, had not worked with the catcher before, and each and everyone of them are chomping at the bit to get a piece of a ML pitcher.

I think he is mainly trying to improve his stamina and get a feel for his pitches again which he said he did.

It would have been nice to hear from the Aberdeen manager or pitching coach on his performance or maybe Rick Peterson who seems to be MIA this year.

Melewski said the three hits that led to the run were not well hit. And as Hammel said, it's a little more difficult to set those guys up. He doesn't know them, had not worked with the catcher before, and each and everyone of them are chomping at the bit to get a piece of a ML pitcher.

I think he is mainly trying to improve his stamina and get a feel for his pitches again which he said he did.

It would have been nice to hear from the Aberdeen manager or pitching coach on his performance or maybe Rick Peterson who seems to be MIA this year.

I don't want to give the impression that I am overly concerned, it was just a rehab outing.

That being said he shouldn't need to be setting up kids a couple months out of HS/College.

I don't want to give the impression that I am overly concerned, it was just a rehab outing.

That being said he shouldn't need to be setting up kids a couple months out of HS/College.

I get what you're saying, but don't forget many of these kids have all been projected to be ML hitters. Now, of course most of them won't get there, but they have the skills.

I'd like to see if a healthy Hammel in the last month is a better option than a shaky Gonzalez. If he can command his slider and has some sink on his two seam FB he will be. It's probably too little too late, but worth a shot if can be anything like the guy we saw in 2012.

I think you're missing the point a little. I've heard others say this, Chen for one. You can't work on pitch sequencing because these kids swing at anything. But he (Jason) and they need to get ready to be setting up ML hitters. You can only work on your stuff down there, not your head.

And yes. It was just a rehab outing. I imagine... Hammel is headed to our pen? I don't know how stretched out he is.

I imagine... Hammel is headed to our pen? I don't know how stretched out he is.

Yes I do know how stretched out he he is. From this thread.

8-29 46 pitches

9-4 57 pitches

Has to be long relief up here. Or another playoff game at Aberdeen? Sarasota with the rest? :confused:

Buck and DD = one = ... Social_Marketing_See_Behind_Curtain_Transparency.jpg

I think you're missing the point a little. I've heard others say this, Chen for one. You can't work on pitch sequencing because these kids swing at anything. But he (Jason) and they need to get ready to be setting up ML hitters. You can only work on your stuff down there, not your head.

And yes. It was just a rehab outing. I imagine... Hammel is headed to our pen? I don't know how stretched out he is.

Hammel doesn't need to work on his pitch sequencing, he needs to throw what Wieters puts down. :P

JASON HAMMEL O (vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/13)

IP:. 5

H:o 3

R:O 3

BB: 1

SO: 2

Pitches: 62 (39 Strikes, 23 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.12

PITCHES BY INNINGS

11 (61 Strikes, 5 Balls)

12 (71 Strikes, 5 Balls)

91 (61 Strikes, 3 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

16 (11 Strikes, 5 Balls)

2 earned runs over 5 innings.

After a rough start, Hammel retired 9 straight batters, and 12 out of the last 14 that he faced (allowing 2 singles in that span.)

0 walks, also.

JASON HAMMEL O (vs. D-RAYS, 9/20)

IP:. 5

H:o 6

R:O 3

ER:)2

BB: 0

SO: 3

Pitches: 77 (52 Strikes, 25 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.07

Hammel was getting clobbered in the game thread in those first two innings, and the genius manager wannabes were trashing Buck for even using him. But Hammel kept us in it, and got stronger as he went along. I was kind of surprised Buck yanked him after five innings and 77 pitches.

Archived