Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not trying to pick a fight with you. This is a thread about JJ. However we got to that point he failed to do his job. He hasn't had a good season, I don't know what else to say. Every player gets judged on their performance.

You are right, he is wrong. Let it go. Not going to convince this guy.

You are a good poster and very reasonable guy so I am shocked at your take on this. JJ is a class act but there is no way he should be with the Baltimore Orioles after this season. They aren't going to pay him for this horse crap anyways....it is time to turn the page. If people can't see that, then they are okay with losing.

Here is my take. JJ is loved by Buck. It isn't like last year was his first good season. He has had others. Many closers have had bad seasons and bounced back. We have no closer in the wings.

One more thing. I don't think JJ's salary will stop us from improving on the other areas of the team. We aren't getting a top FA pitcher here anyway. AM spent plenty on one year deals. We can argue about money better spent but I don't think JJ will cost us elsewhere.

I am not trying to pick a fight with you. This is a thread about JJ. However we got to that point he failed to do his job. He hasn't had a good season, I don't know what else to say. Every player gets judged on their performance.

So Chen giving up 5 runs had/has nothing to do with the loss? He gets a pass? Or that the offense scored one run off Hughes, who has an ERA > 5 or Huff who was blasted by the Red Sox in his last outing and has an ERA > 6. Would JJ get the blame if the score was 5-2 in the 9th, he gives up a run and we score 3 in the bottom of the 9th?

Here is my take. JJ is loved by Buck. It isn't like last year was his first good season. He has had others. Many closers have had bad seasons and bounced back. We have no closer in the wings.

He is snake bitten by the Yankees. He cannot pitch against them effectively. There is no way DD has JJ on this roster next season. I think JJ's shelf life has reached expiration as a closer.

So Chen giving up 5 runs had/has nothing to do with the loss? He gets a pass? Or that the offense scored one run off Hughes, who has an ERA > 5 or Huff who was blasted by the Red Sox in his last outing and has an ERA > 6. Would JJ get the blame if the score was 5-2 in the 9th, he gives up a run and we score 3 in the bottom of the 9th?

Dude, are you joking? Wait is this Jim Johnson???

You are trying to compare those situations? Giving up a run down 3 as opposed to tie game game we just fought back to tie? He has been doing this all season long. This isn't his first bad night. He threw a ball away in Yankee Stadium.

Aren't they all needed for the loss? If you take any of them away the game is still tied. If you take 2 of the runs Chen gave up we may have won.
JJ vs the Yankees this season. 7 games, 1 win 1 loss 4 saves 2 blown saves, 6.1 innings 6 hits 3 runs 2 earned 2 walks 5 k's. Exactly how does that equate to the above?

Haha, alright man. Have it your way.

You are trying to compare those situations? Giving up a run down 3 as opposed to tie game game we just fought back to tie? He has been doing this all season long. This isn't his first bad night. He threw a ball away in Yankee Stadium.

He gave up the 6th run of the game. One more then we scored. All 6 runs lead to us losing the game. If Chen had given up less we could have won. If the offense had score more we could have won. The loss is not JUST on JJ! No game that he has lost or blown the save all season is only his fault. It's a team game. All wins and losses are because of the team. Blaming one person for any loss is incorrect!

He is snake bitten by the Yankees. He cannot pitch against them effectively. There is no way DD has JJ on this roster next season. I think JJ's shelf life has reached expiration as a closer.

JJ Still leads the league in saves. Someone will have him as their closer next year if he is released by us. I would sign him, and get a backup plan, then maybe look at dealing him later if the situation presents itself.

He gave up the 6th run of the game. One more then we scored. All 6 runs lead to us losing the game. If Chen had given up less we could have won. If the offense had score more we could have won. The loss is not JUST on JJ! No game that he has lost or blown the save all season is only his fault. It's a team game. All wins and losses are because of the team. Blaming one person for any loss is incorrect!

Are you a little league coach? ..These are professional players being paid MILLIONS of dollars to perform a job. When individuals are being paid that much they should expect a little blame upon themselves. Jim Johnson deserves blame for numerous losses this year, i'm sorry you can't see that.

The job of a pitcher coming out of the bullpen is to not allow a run. It's an un-written rule but is what is expected. If we would ask them, I believe most of them would agree with me. They know their role and accept it. In this case, and many other times this season JJ did not do his job and with that comes responsibility.

Archived