R.A. DICKEY O (vs. GIANTS, 6/05)

IP:O 8.33

H:o. 2

R:O. 0

BB:. 2

SO:. 5

Pitches: 103 (68 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.66

Notice it was against a National League opponent not an AL East foe.

I think all the years of Wakefield have prepared the AL East for Dickey.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A spot-start for Esmil Rogers (his second of the season), and the bullpen closed the door for the final 5 innings tonight against the Rangers.

BLUE JAYS BULLPEN O (vs. RANGERS, 6/07)

(Aaron Loup, Neil Wagner, Brett Cecil, Steve Delabar)

IP:O 5 O(WIN) [Wagner]

H:o. 1

BB:. 0

SO:. 7

Pitches: 57 (42 Strikes, 15 Balls)

• 2 weeks later...

BLUE JAYS BULLPEN O (vs. RANGERS, 6/07)

(Neil Wagner, Brett Cecil, Dustin McGowan)

IP:O 3.33 *

H:o. 2

BB:. 0

SO:. 2

Pitches: 41 (28 Strikes, 13 Balls)

* The bullpen (Wagner) entered the game with runners on 1st and 3rd base and two outs.

After beating the Tigers this afternoon, the Blue Jays stand at 41-41.

R.A. DICKEY O (vs. TIGERS, 7/01)

IP:O 7

H:o. 6

R:O. 2

BB:. 1

SO:. 4

Pitches: 105 (76 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.59

Good game today, but they are hurting: lost Cabrera (DL), Lind (back) and Encarnacion (hamstring/could not even DH today) in the past week. Not to mention BOS crushing their pitchers. Kawasaki recalled and was starting at second base today.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, relatively thorough article on the gamble their GM took and the implications going forward. Author thinks the Jays need to double down and try to see these things through as Dickey gets better and Reyes is healthy.

The salaries escalate dramatically in 2015 so this might be a limited run if they don't make it work this year or next.

I really dislike Toronto and hope this continues to work against them in a major way. Taking a chance on an old knuckleballer and an aging pitcher moving out of a pitcher's park (Buehrle) plus a flier on Josh Johnshon - I really didn't get the hype. We'll see how it finishes out.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9472320/what-went-wrong-toronto-blue-jays-season

Will be very interesting to see how the prospects they shipped to the Marlins and Mets pan out.

(And I wasn't aware Buerhle's average fastball was that low. That must be painful to sit through 33 starts a year as a Blue Jay fan. :laughlol:)

Archived