Everyone has off nights, bounce back tomorrow, Buck

MachadOboutManny

Yeah, it's probably best if you stay out. You don't have the personality that allows for some fun in a game thread. It was easy to second guess Buck because Buck made some bad choices tonight. It happens. It's not the end of the world nor does it mean Buck is not a great manager, but it doesn't mean Buck didn't deserve to be "second guessed" (mos of the "second guesses" came BEFORE the bad thing that happened.

I didn't see all of the game but my guess is that if Strop, Ayala and Hunter do well then all of a sudden Buck gets credit for a win or something and we talk about what a great manager he is.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough game last night. If we score around 5-7 runs a game though we're going to win more than we lose. Everything looks pretty solid today. I'm chalking up the bullpen lose to some bad luck and a few bad pitches. Still a lot to love.

I'm sure Buck feels worse than us. :)

He may be saving Matusz in case Tillman isnt ready or cant go deep if he does pitch.

But that's what we have McFarland for. Matusz is in the bullpen for games just like this. From what I heard the Tillman DL thing was to just a roster shuffle to give the Orioles extra relievers until april 20th (I expect Arrieta to be sent down after his start) and recalled to pitch on the 20th. I don't really know why Buck would leave in Tommy hunter when he had a fresh Matusz in the pen who needed some innings.

I thought Buck did OK last night. Ayala hung a bad pitch to a power hitter who can only hit bad pitches. Strop gave up a few soft base hits. I usually hate sac bunts but even that was acceptable in the situation. I have no problem counting on Manny to come through there. Let the kid you know you trust him. Buck knows Manny's demeanor, and I'm sure if he feels like dropping Manny down will help him, he will do so.

I thought Hunter last year was OK for 2-3 innings. I certainly could be misremembering that. I understand the point that he gives up a lot of homers, but I also understand Buck trying to squeeze and extra inning out of him in case the game went to extras.

Your relievers give up 6 runs in 2.1 IP, you're probably going to lose.

Leaving Hunter out there for a second inning after he only threw eight pitches the frame before might not be the move everyone would make, but under the circumstances, it's the right move. He'd already used Ayala and Strop; O'Day threw 21 pitches yesterday, and Johnson pitched as well. If not Hunter in the ninth, you've got a bag of lefties in Matusz, McFarland and Patton, with Matusz and McFarland needing to be relatively fresh in case Tillman is limited on Saturday; or you send Jim Johnson out for a non-save situation a day after he threw 14 pitches (also known as "The Lee Mazilli Treatment"). Why wouldn't you just stick with a still-fresh Hunter? If the lead-off guy gets on, then maybe you bring Matusz out. Instead, Tommy hung this third pitch of the inning and the whole thing gets ugly.

Also, why would you pinch hit Casilla for Machado in the 9th? Do you really want Ryan Flaherty at 3B if the game goes five more innings? It's also worthing noting that 4-for-7 is the definition of a small sample size, and should be taken with a grain of salt when we're talking about a guy who hit .241 with nearly twice as many grounders as flyballs last season, given that we're at least looking for a relatively deep flyball in that scenario. This isn't Game 7 of the World Series - let the kid take his lumps and hope he pushes a run across; but if he doesn't - and he didn't - hopefully he learns from it and you get up to play Game 3 of 162 the next day. There's no reason to shake the confidence of a 20-year-old kid still adjusting to the major leagues on the second night of the season, and the team is better with him in it if the game goes to extra innings.

Well, I disagree on both accounts. Matusz could have gone in for the 9th and if he had a quick inning gone out for the 10th if needed. After that, you turn the game over to McFarland. Either way, you don't risk a tie game with your 7th best reliever (maybe 6th if you want to argue Ayala). Pitcher's have roles for a reason and the fact is that Tommy Hunter is a 6th inning or behind in the game guy for a reason. You don't put or keep a homer prone reliever in a tie game in the bottom of the 9th when you team just fought back to tie the game of the other team's closer in the top of the 9th. It was just a bad decision by Buck. My hope is that he learned from it because the one thing Buck does well and takes things into consideration and adjust.

As for Casillo for Machado move, yes, I'm going to make that in this situation for a few reasons. Almost any matchup is going to be SSS, however, the 4-for-7 Casilla has against Rodney shows he picks up up pretty well. Two, Machado did not hit very good this spring and hasn't been gang busters this year in the first two games. According to the numbers in his career, he struggles against guys with upper velocity. Normally I would not pinch hit Casilla for Machado since Machado is a better hitter overall, but I think the fact that Casilla's experience in this situation and his previous success against Rodney was a better fit. As for shaking Machado's confidence, I don't buy it. Although he's 20-years old, one of the reasons he was brought up was because of his advanced understanding of the game and confidence. I don't think getting pinch hit for in a key moment in the second game of the season for a guy who has a track record against one of the toughest pitcher's in baseball to hit is going to shake his confidence.

As for Flaherty playing 3B, I have confidence in Flaherty playing anywhere on the infield so it would not preclude me from making a move because of his "defense" at a position afterwards.

Yep, this L goes to BS. His over shifts helped create the big inning. He got out thunked tonight. Are they hiding BM? It seems to me that they must be unsure about Tillman readiness.
I think that just because a move doesn't work doesn't make it a wrong move. Were these moves "questionable"? I guess so. But in my opinion they were not blunders that puts blame on the manager when they didn't work out.

I guess at my age I've realized that a manager can make a reasonable decision that doesn't work out, and that in some situations, the manager has more than one reasonable choice, neither of which is a "mistake" until it doesn't work out and the fans start second guessing him. To me, we lost this game because Ayala had a bad day and Strop had some bad luck and wasn't totally on his game.

Yes, all of that. The manager's job is to put the team in situations where they are most likely to succeed the highest percentage of the time. And it's often not at all clear which of several options is that situation, even after the fact. If sluggers start bunting all the time against the shift, you change the shift. You don't just abandon the strategy that was probably responsible for the O's big defensive improvements last year.

I know people love parceling out blame, but often times you do defensible, reasonable things, and you still lose. It happens.

I didn't see all of the game but my guess is that if Strop, Ayala and Hunter do well then all of a sudden Buck gets credit for a win or something and we talk about what a great manager he is.

Well that's certainly the simplistic view. Nobody blamed him for putting Ayala or Strop in the game. Look, just about everything Buck did last night did not work, it happens. He puts on a shift and then either there's a miscommunication or Wieters went with the wrong spot but you don't pitch a guy away when you put on a shift. Honestly, with a ground ball guy like Strop, I'm not really sure why we are pulling shifts anyways because why limit Strop to pitching to one side of the plate? Strop has good enough stuff that the O's should only be putting on the shift with those players with extreme tendencies. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the shift late in games like that with our top guys on the mound.

Even in the game thread where things can be emotional, I didn't see anyone saying Buck was a terrible manager. People questioned some of his moves. When moves or non-moves happen late in game and it backfires, people are always going to second guess the manager. It's part of the fun of being a baseball fan. Why some people get offended over this notion I'll never understand.

As for Casillo for Machado move, yes, I'm going to make that in this situation for a few reasons. Almost any matchup is going to be SSS, however, the 4-for-7 Casilla has against Rodney shows he picks up up pretty well.

No disrespect Tony, but I'm going to completely disagree. I wouldn't use a guy with a career .639 OPS, coming off a .603 season, as a pinch hitter for anyone except the pitcher. 4-for-7 off a guy who was a completely different pitcher before last year is really worse than meaningless - it's downright misleading.

In 1982 I wouldn't have pinch hit Kiko Garcia for Cal Ripken (even if Kiko was 6-for-13 off Geoff Zahn), and I'm not pinch hitting Casilla for Manny.

I thought Hunter proved last year he was best used for one inning. I guess Buck needs to prove it again this year.

Ayala is better used with a clear inning. At least he was last year.

I thought the O's were in "to be continued" mode. I don't know why this all has to be proven again this year.

True, but I had no problem with Ayala being there. He made a bad pitch to a mistake hitting right-handed batter. It happens.

Honestly, with a ground ball guy like Strop, I'm not really sure why we are pulling shifts anyways because why limit Strop to pitching to one side of the plate? Strop has good enough stuff that the O's should only be putting on the shift with those players with extreme tendencies. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the shift late in games like that with our top guys on the mound.

Probably because the analysis of the spray charts indicated that even against a hard thrower the ball was very likely to go into the shift. The Orioles are doing this to increase the odds of a good outcome, and as 2012 taught us the odds aren't always right. But that doesn't mean you ignore the odds.

I don't think Buck wants TJ making his debut on the road against a division foe in a walk-off situation. That's a good way to kill a guy's confidence real quick, especially a guy whose position on the team is already tenuous. Now obviously he'll have to take the kid gloves off soon, but I think he'd like his debut to be in a less pressure-filled environment.

No disrespect Tony, but I'm going to completely disagree. I wouldn't use a guy with a career .639 OPS, coming off a .603 season, as a pinch hitter for anyone except the pitcher. 4-for-7 off a guy who was a completely different pitcher before last year is really worse than meaningless - it's downright misleading.

In 1982 I wouldn't have pinch hit Kiko Garcia for Cal Ripken (even if Kiko was 6-for-13 off Geoff Zahn), and I'm not pinch hitting Casilla for Manny.

Yep, I figured you would. You are not a match up guy. You've always been the Anti-Larussa guy and I'm a Larussa match up guy. Different strokes! Normally I'm not considering pinch hitting Casilla for anyone, but I do put weight in a guy going 4-for-7 off a guy. I know when I played I just hit certain guys better than others, even if they were much better pitchers than the other guys. Heck, I might have tried to squeeze that run in. :) BTW, just because I think he should have pinch hit there does not mean that move was not defensible. I can see the arguments for letting Machado hit there. By the way, my main point with buck is that most of his moves back fired, not that he managed terribly.

;)

Probably because the analysis of the spray charts indicated that even against a hard thrower the ball was very likely to go into the shift. The Orioles are doing this to increase the odds of a good outcome, and as 2012 taught us the odds aren't always right. But that doesn't mean you ignore the odds.

I'm sure Buck had a good reason for it. My biggest issue was how we setup the hitter during the shift more than being majorly opposed to the shift itself. I'm not a huge proponent of using the shift late in games with power relievers, but I fully admit I haven't looked at the spray charts and tendencies.

Well that's certainly the simplistic view. Nobody blamed him for putting Ayala or Strop in the game. Look, just about everything Buck did last night did not work, it happens. He puts on a shift and then either there's a miscommunication or Wieters went with the wrong spot but you don't pitch a guy away when you put on a shift. Honestly, with a ground ball guy like Strop, I'm not really sure why we are pulling shifts anyways because why limit Strop to pitching to one side of the plate? Strop has good enough stuff that the O's should only be putting on the shift with those players with extreme tendencies. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the shift late in games like that with our top guys on the mound.

Even in the game thread where things can be emotional, I didn't see anyone saying Buck was a terrible manager. People questioned some of his moves. When moves or non-moves happen late in game and it backfires, people are always going to second guess the manager. It's part of the fun of being a baseball fan. Why some people get offended over this notion I'll never understand.

Which I agree with, totally. I just don't understand comments such as "this one's on Buck"

The thing I do like about Buck is that, if asked, he usually has a good explanation as to why.

I didn't see the post game presser, but did anyone ask about the shifts or did he comment on as to why?

Archived