R:O 2

BB: 0

SO: 1

Pitches: 24 (18 Strikes, 6 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.27

PITCHES BY INNINGS

10 (71 Strikes)

14 (11 Strikes) *

* Matusz retired 2 batters in the 9th inning before departing.

Yeah, well you don't think that's where he wanted to throw it, do you? It was supposed to be outside corner at the knees. Seems like Cespedes wasn't fooled a bit by the pitch so even with better location he may have hit it pretty good. It just probably wouldn't have gone out of the park if it were properly located. I remember while Cespedes was at bat, I said to myself, "you just have to keep him in the park to win this game".

Can't be too mad about it. Matusz has been crucial in the recent games. Just can't believe the O's are in 3rd place at 15-10 with a Yankees team of has beens. Something is going on there. If they signed Vlad when we did, he would have hit 50 homers.

I'm amazed at how people are STILL in denial about Matusz. And I've been saying this all along - not just after a bad game. He's simply not very good, and there is not much upside there. He - more than anyone else including Strop - cost the O's the game. He choked badly against Cespedes - throwing 2 straight fat pitches to their best hitter when he was ahead in the count. Either he has no command in the clutch, or he's really stupid. Pick 1 or the other.

I'm amazed at how people are STILL in denial about Matusz. And I've been saying this all along - not just after a bad game. He's simply not very good, and there is not much upside there. He - more than anyone else including Strop - cost the O's the game. He choked badly against Cespedes - throwing 2 straight fat pitches to their best hitter when he was ahead in the count. Either he has no command in the clutch, or he's really stupid. Pick 1 or the other.

How about I pick... that WASN'T a fat pitch. It was a good pitch and Cespedes did an incredible job going after it and hitting it out. Similar to what Chris Davis had done in the top of the inning. It was a great piece of hitting, more than a failure on the pitcher's part. It happens.

How about I pick... that WASN'T a fat pitch. It was a good pitch and Cespedes did an incredible job going after it and hitting it out. Similar to what Chris Davis had done in the top of the inning. It was a great piece of hitting, more than a failure on the pitcher's part. It happens.

I'd say you're in denial or out of your mind. Throwing a pitch that hittable to their best hitter in that situation was a horrible mistake, and it followed another fat pitch that Cespedes just missed.

And how about the hanging slider he threw to the leadoff man that was crushed? Another cardinal sin. If he can't command the pitch, don't throw it. That's why relievers generally stick to a couple of pitches that they're very good at.

I'd say you're in denial or out of your mind. Throwing a pitch that hittable to their best hitter in that situation was a horrible mistake, and it followed another fat pitch that Cespedes just missed.

His command was not perfect yesterday and Cespedes went down a got a changeup. I'm sure Brian wanted that pitch more to the outside, but if pitchers could throw every pitch exactly where they wanted to no one would get hits. Matusz has been very good in this role and up to that AB had pretty much dominated righties this year. Home runs happen, but Matusz is very good in this role and his stuff plays well in short stints.

It wasn't a perfect pitch, but it wasn't that bad, either. Definitely below the strikes zone but Cespedes just went down and golfed it.

The only issue I had was what Ruzious has pointed out. Cespedes just missed a fastball in that location, I think they should have changed his eye level a bit on the following pitch. That said, it certainly wasn't a fat pitch and it credit to Cespedes for crushing it.

Archived