Brian Matusz Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frobby is correct as usual. Low, outside 1/3. Not a bad spot for a change up.

&batterX=80&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3

Wait, but I thought Matusz threw two FAT pitches and was terrible. Hmmm, you mean he was low in the zone and generally right around the strikezone? Weird.

Matusz Providing Relief in a Role He Doesn't Relish

(by Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/04/matusz-providing-relief-in-a-role-he-doesnt-relish.html

From this article that I posted earlier in the thread:

Matusz inherted 14 runners last season. None of them scored. He's inherited 10 this season. None of them scored.

24 inherited baserunners over the last 2 years since he was put into the bullpen, and none have scored.

Matusz had been showing some pretty good results with his changeup the past few games. In that sense you need to take career stats/splits with a grain of salt. Pretty obvious he had regained some feel for it of late and that was one of the reasons Buck decided to leave him in there in this particular situation (good RHB with power and game on the line etc.). It wasn't the greatest changeup that Cespedes hit, but it certainly wasn't a bad one either.

Wait, but I thought Matusz threw two FAT pitches and was terrible. Hmmm, you mean he was low in the zone and generally right around the strikezone? Weird.

Ok, you dragged me back in. Are you seriously saying that wasn't a bad pitch? You're smart enough to know that when you throw a flat changeup to a hitter like Cespedes when you're ahead in the count, it's got to be farther down than that. That's 0.2 inches below the strike zone - if I'm reading that right, and it's certainly not in the corner. Someone else posted that Cespedes was on his knee hitting that. You're fine with that comment, but my comment is way out there?

Ok, you dragged me back in. Are you seriously saying that wasn't a bad pitch? You're smart enough to know that when you throw a flat changeup to a hitter like Cespedes when you're ahead in the count, it's got to be farther down than that. That's 0.2 inches below the strike zone - if I'm reading that right, and it's certainly not in the corner. Someone else posted that Cespedes was on his knee hitting that. You're fine with that comment, but my comment is way out there?

Where I'm losing you is in your generally negative comments about Matusz. The guy has been extremely good out of the bullpen. Even if I agree with you that he threw three bad pitches in that last inning, it doesn't change the fact that overall he's been very tough as a reliever: 2.22 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, 10.7 K/9, 4.83 K/BB, and has not allowed a single inherited runner out of 24 to score.

As to yesterday, the worst of the three pitches was the hanging slider hit for a single. The one Cespedes fouled was a good pitch in a decent location, but he timed it well. The one hit for a HR could have been a bit lower and/or a bit more on the outside half of the plate, but it wasn't a terrible pitch.

Where I'm losing you is in your generally negative comments about Matusz. The guy has been extremely good out of the bullpen. Even if I agree with you that he threw three bad pitches in that last inning, it doesn't change the fact that overall he's been very tough as a reliever: 2.22 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, 10.7 K/9, 4.83 K/BB, and has not allowed a single inherited runner out of 24 to score.

As to yesterday, the worst of the three pitches was the hanging slider hit for a single. The one Cespedes fouled was a good pitch in a decent location, but he timed it well. The one hit for a HR could have been a bit lower and/or a bit more on the outside half of the plate, but it wasn't a terrible pitch.

You're absolutely right in that first paragraph. I just don't completely separate what he did as a starter from what he did as a reliever. I need a lot more appearances in key situations for more than a batter or 2 to conclude he's going to be a good reliever - but he may become one. I hope he does great. I explained where I'm coming from. People here said the idea of trading him for Morse was crazy and offensive when I suggested it. Nobody that I saw piped up and said it was even an okay idea. So, people here pretty much universally think he's very good. I don't. I don't think he has good stuff, good command, or good control. I'm sorry if that bothers people. It's just an opinion. Again, I hope he proves me wrong. And with that, I really am out of this thread.

I think some of us (ME) are guilty of judging Matusz against his former lofty draft level

I'm curious if Matusz has a great year out of the bullpen. What do you do with him next year?

He will be arb eligible and is already making 1.6 million, which is 2x Patton, and 3x Tillman.

Do you let him get another bump in pay. Do you trade him??

What is LH bullpen arm worth??

I'm curious if Matusz has a great year out of the bullpen. What do you do with him next year?

He will be arb eligible and is already making 1.6 million, which is 2x Patton, and 3x Tillman.

Great question. I'd say if he has a good season, he'd probably get $2 mm in arbitration. He's certainly overpaid right now compared to a guy like Patton, who has an equal amount of service time, is almost equally effective, and is making half as much money.

I think some of us (ME) are guilty of judging Matusz against his former lofty draft level

You seriously consider not tendering him a contract. Unless he's really shown that he can be a multifaceted reliever who can pitch different roles effectively, not just a LOOGY.

You seriously consider not tendering him a contract. Unless he's really shown that he can be a multifaceted reliever who can pitch different roles effectively, not just a LOOGY.

Clearly he isn't just a LOOGY. He's on pace to throw about 70 innings and has thrown to RHB slightly more than LHB.

BRIAN MATUSZ O (vs. MARINERS, 4/30)

IP:. 1.33 *

H:o 0

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 2

Pitches: 19 (12 Strikes, 7 Balls)

2013 ERA: 2.92

* Matusz entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base with 2 outs.

Archived