Jake Arrieta Today, 2013

OFFNY

If he really said that, that's absolutely disgusting.

As in, is flat out release him because he is clearly a nutjob not living in reality.

Send him to a mental health clinic and get him off the roster for good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=narcissistic+personality&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#itp=open0

It also just confirms that he is obsessed with himself and looking good. Disgusting.

Except he is right. He is so close to being so good and everyone does know it. And it is frustrating. Nothing wrong with what he said IMO.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JAKE ARRIETA O (vs. AAA-Charlotte, 4/26)

IP:. 6

H:o 3

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 8

Pitches: 94 (54 Strikes, 40 Balls)

2013 ERA: 0.00 (AAA-Norfolk) OO 6.63 (Orioles)

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t568&t=p_pbp&pid=453562

Until he does it consistantly in the majors, Jake Arietta is an afterthought for me. That ball/strike ratio would have led to another meltdown in the majors.

His skill set masters the minor leagues. They don't swing at his fluff in the majors.

I think he gets one more start. And that's only because Steve Johnson isn't ready yet.

Steven Johnson is that exact opposite of Arrieta. He knows how to pitch and makes the most of what stuff he has. It would behoove Arrieta to watch Johnson pitch a game and take notes.

At what point does Cap'n Dream Big shift his focus from "so good" to "something other than s----y"?

I was at the game today. Arrieta looked every bit as bad as (I'm sure) he looked on TV.

I love your Avatar of Mclouth with the pie in face! Great phot of one of my favorite O's. :clap3:

Steven Johnson is that exact opposite of Arrieta. He knows how to pitch and makes the most of what stuff he has. It would behoove Arrieta to watch Johnson pitch a game and take notes.

I think it would be a scream if they MADE Jake chart Steve for three weeks.

I'm still a believer in Jake. His stuff is just too good, and it's not like he goes out there and gets hit hard; he's brilliant for a couple innings and then absolutely falls apart in another couple innings. It's a bit facile to separate the mental and the physical completely but his problems clearly swing much more to the former side of the spectrum. You have to think that at some point, odds are--if through nothing else but attrition, or just a few conditions coming together, a bit of confidence here, a start where luck goes your way there, etc.--it clicks mentally for a guy, even if it's very late in the career a la Jason Hammel. I'm not sure we made the right move sending him down as far as the big club is concerned, but I trust it was the right decision for his sake...that line up there certainly helps me to feel that way. I certainly think he will still be rather important to the Orioles this season.

I'm 100% (gut check) assured that it'll be Garcia. Jurrjens can't opt out until June. Steve Johnson still needs a few starts. The Orioles would be painfully stupid to call up Arrieta after he hasn't even had 2 starts...let alone zero progress.

My predictions:

Garcia comes up and takes the #5 spot and pitches a few decent outings for about a month while Jurrjens tries to fix his walk issues. I don't expect the world out of Garcia. Maybe a few 5-6IP outings with 3ER. Maybe a 7IP affair allowing 4. He won't be a world beater, but he'll be a useful starter who will throw strikes.

Jair's doing well at AAA: 2.64 ERA, .234 AVG against, 6IP on average, 7.7 H/9, problem is that 3.9 BB/9. The walks are getting better, though. Nice WHIP of 1.272. But two out of the 5 outings had 4 walks in only 5 or 6 innings. Strike out rate has been so-so at 6 SO/9, though. Not bad. They'll want to build up more arm strength and leg strength. His last two outings went 6 2/3. If he starts hitting 6-7IP each time out, I'm sure he'll replace Garcia as he has more upside.

The promising thing about Jair is that his 5 AAA starts are better than his most recent AAA stint in the Braves organization:

2012: 4.98 ERA, 4.9 SO/9, 9.8 H/9, 2.0 BB/9, 1.313 WHIP in 14 games. 72 IP, for an average outing of 5 IP.

Small sample size for Jair, but SO/9 up a little, H/9 down, ERA down, WHIP down, thing that is up is the walks. So, he'll get more time down there to work on his control. Oh, and here's some batted ball information:

2012:

21.3% line drives

37.9% ground balls

30% outfield fly balls

2013:

17% line drives

35.1% ground balls

37.2% outfield fly balls

Nice to see the line drive percentage down. Not sure what to make of the GB vs. OFB, yet.

Anyways, I really do believe that Gausman will be up here before long.

I'm sure the Orioles will end up doing the following:

1. Garcia up, Clark down. Garcia will be the #5 starter.

2. Steve Johnson continue to be stretched out. Since we have both McFarland and Hunter as long relief, you won't see Johnson up here unless he's starting or a RP is hurt. Perhaps Strop with a mystery injury?

3. Jair will be up in June if he continues to pitch the way he is. Unless, of course, Garcia is absolutely lights out. Jair has way more upside as he only turned 27 years old in January.

4. Gausman will continue down in AA. He'll make the jump to AAA when Garcia comes up, IMHO. Or shortly there after.

5. If all goes well with Gausman in AAA, we'll see him shortly after the All Star break if any of our starters are hurt or struggling.

The perennial problem of starting pitching is still with us. They somehow cobbled it together last year but the issue still remains. The fact that there is only one solution (draft and develop it) still remains as well. Even marginal, stop-gap guys like Saunders will continue to avoid Baltimore in free agency due to the small size of the ballpark and the competition within the division. What can they do?

The perennial problem of starting pitching is still with us. They somehow cobbled it together last year but the issue still remains. The fact that there is only one solution (draft and develop it) still remains as well. Even marginal, stop-gap guys like Saunders will continue to avoid Baltimore in free agency due to the small size of the ballpark and the competition within the division. What can they do?

They don't avoid the small ball park, they avoid the small salary. Angelos will not sign off on long term contracts to free agent pitchers.

Archived