Jake Arrieta Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They don't avoid the small ball park, they avoid the small salary. Angelos will not sign off on long term contracts to free agent pitchers.
Right, that stingy PA should have given Saunders the 3 years that he wanted. Then we would win every game he pitched in Safeco. The others? Not so much. Or he should have out bid LAD for Greinke. Yeah that's the ticket. I don't know if PA is cheap or not, but I do know spending that much on the likes of Greinke, or giving a multi year contract to the likes of Saunders is stupid.

Right, that stingy PA should have given Saunders the 3 years that he wanted. Then we would win every game he pitched in Safeco. The others? Not so much. Or he should have out bid LAD for Greinke. Yeah that's the ticket. I don't know if PA is cheap or not, but I do know spending that much on the likes of Greinke, or giving a multi year contract to the likes of Saunders is stupid.

I agree both of those signings would have been bad (although Greinke would look great in our rotation right now (assuming he didn't get hurt of course)).

But, the Lohse signing is looking ok so far, maybe the last year or so will be wasted, but it's not like that contract would have bankrupted us.....regardless, I do hope we can start getting some solid contributions from the #5 spot eventually, whoever that may be...

Maybe its true what you say about Jake and Zach. Maybe it will be proven to be true. My concern is the unbelievable track record(negative) in the

development of pitching talent in this organization. I saw a lot of progress moving up the roster last year, or so I thought. Then, every time it seems

the pitcher that gets his chance, he falters. Why? It has to fall on the athletes shoulders of course, but at some point you have to wonder about the

pitching coaches at some level...or at all of the levels.I DONT happen to think it's Rick Peterson's fault.

It's about consistency. Jake Arrieta is dominant at times, then falls apart. No amount of coaching will be able to get Jake out of that valley once he hits it. It has to come from within.

Britton will be back, but he needs more time in the minors to work on throwing strikes and command. His sinker is back. His velocity is back. The ground balls are there. Now he just needs to stop throwing so many pitches and walking guys.

Matusz is a dominant reliever. Well developed into that role. He can go multiple innings.

Tillman I have faith in. SO/9 up, but he needs to stop nibbling. He's developed an arsenal of pitches over the last 2 years...and we saw the fruits of his (and the organization's) labours in 2012. I don't expect a replication of overall numbers, but Tillman can be a 3.75-4.25 ERA guy for this club. That's not an ace, but plenty good with this bullpen and offense.

I agree both of those signings would have been bad (although Greinke would look great in our rotation right now (assuming he didn't get hurt of course)).

But, the Lohse signing is looking ok so far, maybe the last year or so will be wasted, but it's not like that contract would have bankrupted us.....regardless, I do hope we can start getting some solid contributions from the #5 spot eventually, whoever that may be...

Our pitching needs to come from within...or through trade. We can't afford to give up draft picks when our farm system is relatively barren.

It's about consistency. Jake Arrieta is dominant at times, then falls apart. No amount of coaching will be able to get Jake out of that valley once he hits it. It has to come from within.

Britton will be back, but he needs more time in the minors to work on throwing strikes and command. His sinker is back. His velocity is back. The ground balls are there. Now he just needs to stop throwing so many pitches and walking guys.

Matusz is a dominant reliever. Well developed into that role. He can go multiple innings.

Tillman I have faith in. SO/9 up, but he needs to stop nibbling. He's developed an arsenal of pitches over the last 2 years...and we saw the fruits of his (and the organization's) labours in 2012. I don't expect a replication of overall numbers, but Tillman can be a 3.75-4.25 ERA guy for this club. That's not an ace, but plenty good with this bullpen and offense.

I know we need him where he is, but I really would like to see him get at least one more shot at starting.

5 shutout innings, 2 runs in the 6th, then 1 more goose-egg in the 7th before departing.

JAKE ARRIETA O (vs. AAA-Syracuse, 5/02)

IP:. 7

H:o 6

R:O 2

BB: 1

SO: 7

Pitches: 92 (61 Strikes, 31 Balls)

2013 ERA: 1.38 (AAA-Norfolk) OO 6.63 (Orioles)

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t568&t=p_pbp&pid=453562

Much better performance than his last time. If he can throw strikes, I'm all for him being in the rotation. He's gonna have to do this more than once to prove he's worthy, though.

Typical defeatest response:

First, not all signings fail (see Ryan Dempster, Ervin Santana, etc).

Second I wasn't even advocating signing free agents I simply stated that pitchers aren't avoiding Camden yards, instead for better or worse the Orioles have not been making competative offers.

JAKE ARRIETA O (vs. AAA-Buffalo, 5/07)

IP:. 6.67

H:o 7

R:O 5

ER:)4

BB: 2

SO: 2

Pitches: 99 (61 Strikes, 38 Balls)

2013 ERA: 2.75 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

17 (11 Strikes)

11 (71 Strikes)

71 (41 Strikes)

14 (91 Strikes)

23 (11 Strikes)

18 (12 Strikes)

91 (71 Strikes) *

* Arrieta retired 2 batters in the 7th inning before departing.

I went to the game tonight. I've never in my life seen a guy steal home so even though it was against Arrieta it was pretty cool. Jake looked pretty average to me. He kept his pitch count low but still couldn't get through 7. I didn't hate the 2 run HR he gave up because it was a 1st pitch fastball where he's trying to get ahead but it was to the Bisons best hitter who hit a mammoth shot off Steve Johnson last night so probably not the best location. Jake was also hit on his pitching hand by a line drive but seemed ok and stayed in the game.

And thank you Trayvon Robinson for throwing me a ball. :)

• 3 weeks later...

JAKE ARRIETA O (vs. AAA-Lehigh Valley, 5/25) *

IP:. 1

H:o 1

R:O 2

ER:)1

BB: 2

SO: 1

Pitches: 24 (11 Strikes, 13 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.05 (AAA-Norfolk) OO 6.63 (Orioles)

* Arrieta came out of the bullpen to start the 8th inning.

Archived