Opportunity knocks for Ryan Flaherty

postal

Yup, I was a Flaherty believer and now I'm not. He's had a chance and he's dropped the ball. I want him playing everyday at 2B in Norfolk so we can see if he has a future as an everyday guy.

He's got to go down.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, I was a Flaherty believer and now I'm not. He's had a chance and he's dropped the ball. I want him playing everyday at 2B in Norfolk so we can see if he has a future as an everyday guy.

He's got to go down.

For.....?

I too was a Flaherty believer. I admit it. But this guy does need to start hitting or we will do something different. His bat is a black hole.

It seems no one throws him a fastball and he cant hit the offspeed stuff to save his life.

Is he on the 40-man roster?

Yes.

I think Flaherty could be in the long-term plans for sure: we saw what he did towards the end of last season when he got hot. I think he's an acceptable stopgap until Roberts comes back, given that the next-best option is Yamaico Navarro, who isn't exactly great himself. I like him a lot more than Casilla, who looks like a pitcher at the plate. Flaherty is having decent at-bats and showing at least some power, and his defense is much better than last year. it's not like the Orioles are swimming in a wealth of 2B options right now so I think they'll keep giving Flaherty chances to come around.

Is he on the 40-man roster?

Yes.

It's May. I can see Buck and DD sending Flaherty to AAA for some fine tuning. Navarro or Chris Nelson would be good replacements until Roberts comes back.

I hope Flaherty learns how to handle a breaking pitch and earns his way back to the majors.

I never, ever thought I'd say this...but I sure miss Brian Roberts! Come on back soon, BRob!

Any word on a time table for his return. He seems to have disappeared. Last thing I saw he was running have to think it would not be long after that.

I never, ever thought I'd say this...but I sure miss Brian Roberts! Come on back soon, BRob!

When BRob comes back, it will likely be Casilla who sticks. For now Flaherty has value to platoon against RHPs and is still getting regular playing time, even if it is not every day.

Navarro has been coming on in the past couple of weeks, .793 OPS with .359 OBP. He's a RH bat though. Buck has been platooning at 2B. Don't know how good he is against RHP.

327/400/473/873 vs RHP this year

143/259/333/593 vs LHP this year

When BRob comes back, it will likely be Casilla who sticks. For now Flaherty has value to platoon against RHPs and is still getting regular playing time, even if it is not every day.

Flaherty has no value if Navarro is brought up. Sorry.

Archived