Opportunity knocks for Ryan Flaherty

postal

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way Flaherty goes down is if Roberts is healthy and up with the club. Or Flaherty is hurt himself. Flaherty is at least playing solid defense.

Some good numbers:

Line drive percentage is up from last year (from 11% up to 13%). He's been hitting the ball harder lately and having better at bats. That's encouraging to see. His last 2 games he's smoked about 3 balls...2 directly at players (one 2B, another CF) and another that just missed a home run to dead center field by a foot.

I think he'll turn it around soon.

Is it his .549 OPS in 238 major league PAs that make you think he's going to "turn it around" or his .711 OPS in 227 PAs? Maybe it the fact that he has a 40% whiff rate against change ups this year and has only three hits off any kind of breaking balls this season?

I've see enough of Flaherty and his approach to surmise that at worse, he needs more seasoning in AAA. The sooner Orioles do this the sooner they may have a semi-productive player at second base.

How in the world is this guy still on the team.....and still getting the bulk of the starts at 2b?? He belongs somewhere in the minors...and probably not Norfolk.

I think he will be up for the next couple of weeks. I think it depends if Roberts is just two weeks away or longer.I think he stays up if they think Roberts will be back in a few weeks.

Blanton made Ryan look silly in the 7th. Three straight change-ups low and away, swung and missed at all three. That was about as bad of an at bat that I have ever seen at the MLB level. I don't mind him making outs but I would like to seem him at least put some good ABs together.

I've see enough of Flaherty and his approach to surmise that at worse, he needs more seasoning in AAA. The sooner Orioles do this the sooner they may have a semi-productive player at second base.

Flaherty is 26, will be 27 in July. If he's going to turn it around it's gotta be quick. He's already to the point where he'd be bucking the odds by starting a productive career this late in life.

I'm curious as to why he's not anticipating and then hitting off speed pitches. Or he is and he just can't hit them? Is there anyway to see what pitches he's been thrown?

The simple explanation is that he can't hit them very well. And that would help explain why he was just getting to AAA at 25 and the Cubs didn't think all that highly of him. Duquette and Co probably thought it was fixable, and it looks like the early returns on that assessment aren't great.

I'm curious as to why he's not anticipating and then hitting off speed pitches. Or he is and he just can't hit them? Is there anyway to see what pitches he's been thrown?

It's frustrating to watch. It's like you know it's coming, the announcers know it's coming, even he knows it's coming, and he still can't hit it. Still, much better players have gone through spells like that -- notably Adam Jones in the playoffs against the Yankees last year. Why couldn't he just lay off those sliders in the dirt? But Flaherty does not have the established record of Adam Jones, so he needs to turn things around soon if he wants to stick with the club.

So I didn't have time to read the link Tony posted but let's say he gets off speed stuff 40 percent of the time? A minor league hitter should be able to adjust and at least hit .225? Or am I reaching?

This post will get flamed because its based on what I SEE and not on stats, but I just don't like the guys mannerisms. He strikes out (looking terrible as he does it) and then he kinda chews his gum and looks at the pitcher in a strange, cocky way, as if to say, "Okay, you got me, but you ain't no good!" I really want to like Flaherty, I really do, but I just don't.

With nearly 80 ABs, a batting average equaling a supermodel's body weight, and an OPS in the vicinity of .400, it is about time for DD to start thinking about an alternative solution at 2B. Enough is enough.

Archived