Jake Arrieta - so frustrating to watch this guy pitch. Talented, but erratic. Will he ever put it to

BamaOsFan

So Buck and Duquette are starting him why? Are they not very bright, or just stuck because Matusz et al are even more ridiculously horriffic?

Because they wanted to give him one more shot, because they wanted to believe the spring training results were real, even though they were a mirage because his underlying control problems were still there. I imagine they wanted to also see if they could build his trade value if he had some success early on. But now we have to win games, and Arrieta isn't a guy that will help us do that with any sort of consistency. The risk he brings to the table of overworking our bullpen and comprising it for days after he pitches is far too great.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
None of you guys ever saw Major League where Crash Davis says Nuke Laloosh has a million dollar arm and a ten cent head? A really talented guy who simply can't control it? It was just a reference to that adjusted for inflation. I didn't realize Jake's family posted here.

I'm well aware of the reference. It gets repeated all the time and is neither clever nor original. And it just reinforces the idea that players who can't execute at the highest level are somehow mentally damaged. You may have been joking, but it's something a lot of people try to assert very seriously.

Because they wanted to give him one more shot, because they wanted to believe the spring training results were real, even though they were a mirage because his underlying control problems were still there. I imagine they wanted to also see if they could build his trade value if he had some success early on. But now we have to win games, and Arrieta isn't a guy that will help us do that with any sort of consistency. The risk he brings to the table of overworking our bullpen and comprising it for days after he pitches is far too great.

If they believed in him three hours ago one start where he allowed four runs in five-plus moves that needle almost not at all.

If they believed in him three hours ago one start where he allowed four runs in five-plus moves that needle almost not at all.

Disagree. I think they view their 5th spot in the rotation as very fluid. Obviously Arrieta is making the fourth start of the season, but he's our 5th starter in reality. This team doesn't have any margin for error, and they know that first-hand based on the playoff race last season. I think Arrieta will get another start or two at the absolute most (one or two starts where he struggles - obviously if he pitches well he extends his own leash; but I think he will continue to pitch poorly). I don't think he deserves any more starts at all, and it would benefit the team to figure out which of Jurrjens, Gausman, and Johnson is the best man for the job as quickly as possible.

This is a ridiculous post. I never said, nor implied, anything of the sort.

I'm just saying the Orioles should be quick to move on. Honestly, I don't believe he should make another start until Jurrjens, Gausman, and Steve Johnson have all been given a shot. But I'm confident they will move away from Arrieta quickly, since Duquette has shown to be very pro-active when it comes to these decisions.

I'm very surprised someone as observant as you is so blind to Arrieta's mediocrity. Or so willing to forgive it and be patient with a guy who isn't a quality major league starter.

By the way, proactive doesn't equate to reassessing long-term decisions every five innings. That's called reactionary.

Disagree. I think they view their 5th spot in the rotation as very fluid. Obviously Arrieta is making the fourth start of the season, but he's our 5th starter in reality.

If Buck and Duquette are shuffling rotation spots based on fractional games I'm a lot less impressed than I thought I was.

I'm well aware of the reference. It gets repeated all the time and is neither clever nor original. And it just reinforces the idea that players who can't execute at the highest level are somehow mentally damaged. You may have been joking, but it's something a lot of people try to assert very seriously.

Geez, man, I like Jake a lot. Met him once. It's just frustrating to watch him struggle all the time. He's a perfect example of the reference. You're the one with the "mentally damaged" stuff. That wasn't the implication at all. No reason to get bent out of shape and infer some serious insult.

Yes. Let's quit on Arrieta after one inning that combined a couple bad pitches with some bad luck.

I'm abnormally patient, though. I'd give him two bad innings before releasing him.

You have to admit that there is well north of one innings worth of evidence that Jake has issues that might keep him from ever being a successful pitcher in MLB.

What we saw today with Jake is that he still appears to be suffering from the same deficiencies that he has in the past.

Arrieta needs to lose the cutter. The triple he gave up and broken bat single were with that 91 mph cutter.

Bordy and Palmer were discussing it on MASN as were Manfra and Angel on the radio.

Not sure what the point of having five pitches is if you can't reliably command any of them.

Disagree. I think they view their 5th spot in the rotation as very fluid. Obviously Arrieta is making the fourth start of the season, but he's our 5th starter in reality. This team doesn't have any margin for error, and they know that first-hand based on the playoff race last season. I think Arrieta will get another start or two at the absolute most (one or two starts where he struggles - obviously if he pitches well he extends his own leash; but I think he will continue to pitch poorly). I don't think he deserves any more starts at all, and it would benefit the team to figure out which of Jurrjens, Gausman, and Johnson is the best man for the job as quickly as possible.

This.

Arrieta looked completely lost today. There are too many options competing for the staff for the O's to stick with an ineffective starter for months like they did with Jake (and Matusz & Hunter) last year. I think DD & Buck see the O's as favorites to win the division and they won't risk the season on trying to work through Arrieta's problems at the major league level. I suspect he gets half a dozen starts maximum and if he can't put it all together by that point, he's headed to Norfolk and the next guy will get a shot.

This.

Arrieta looked completely lost today. There are too many options competing for the staff for the O's to stick with an ineffective starter for months like they did with Jake (and Matusz & Hunter) last year. I think DD & Buck see the O's as favorites to win the division and they won't risk the season on trying to work through Arrieta's problems at the major league level. I suspect he gets half a dozen starts maximum and if he can't put it all together by that point, he's headed to Norfolk and the next guy will get a shot.

You have to admit that there is well north of one innings worth of evidence that Jake has issues that might keep him from ever being a successful pitcher in MLB.

What we saw today with Jake is that he still appears to be suffering from the same deficiencies that he has in the past.

As I mentioned, I'm really surprised such an observant and analytical poster has taken a position which contradicts a strong, fairly lengthy history of mediocre-to-poor performance. His position requires the burden of proof in terms of building a convincing case as to why Arrieta has a realistic chance to succeed aside from how hard he throws and his "stuff", yet not only does he not offer any convincing arguments other than the fact the Orioles have awarded him with a rotation spot, he also unreasonably criticizes those of us who point to a solid and long track record of a pitcher who is not a quality major leaguer, as well as those of us who have evaluated him and made a judgment call (and obviously I think a good one that has been supported by both his start today and his entire major league career) that he will not perform adequately enough to hold down a spot in the Orioles rotation this year.

As I mentioned, I'm really surprised such an observant and analytical poster has taken a position which contradicts a strong, fairly lengthy history of mediocre-to-poor performance. His position requires the burden of proof in terms of building a convincing case as to why Arrieta has a realistic chance to succeed aside from how hard he throws and his "stuff", yet not only does he not offer any convincing arguments other than the fact the Orioles have awarded him with a rotation spot, he also unreasonably criticizes those of us who point to a solid and long track record of a pitcher who is not a quality major leaguer, as well as those of us who have evaluated him and made a judgment call (and obviously I think a good one that has been supported by not only his start today, but his entire major league career) that he will not perform adequately enough to hold down a spot in the Orioles rotation this year.

Jake has solid, very solid, peripherals.

That leads some of the more stat minded folks to think he is unlucky or that he may have an epiphany.

I myself have decided that if some pitchers can outpitch their peripherals then it is logical then some pitchers' actual game performance will fall short of what their peripherals suggest they will do.

Yes. But he made adjustments and he has always shown talent and results in spurts. You don't give up now.

Archived