Steve Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

he actually was. In the Third after being given the lead, he proceeds to give it up. He bent but did not break. He waited until the 6th to actually break. He only had one 1-2-3 inning. That sounds pretty horrible to me, especially given who was in the M's lineup and getting hits: Bay, Andino, Ryan, etc.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. BUT, now that Britton is up, he's probably going to get another start or two. Britton wasn't quite as horrible as people are making him out to be. Let's see what he can do on regular rest next time out.

I would agree with this. His stuff seemed pretty good and he only walked 2, so he wasn't overly wild. I'd give him another start based on what I saw tonight.

Getting better Stevie. Love the 8 K's. You'll be back in form very soon.

I hope so.

I was listening to it on the radio. 5 excellent innings, and then he struggled in the 6th, but he still managed to strike out 2 batters in said inning before he left.

I would agree with this. His stuff seemed pretty good and he only walked 2, so he wasn't overly wild. I'd give him another start based on what I saw tonight.

No way should he get another start. He pitched poorly against one of the worst offenses in baseball, in their home park where they typically struggle.

Britton will get knocked around even worse against every other team in the AL with the lone exception of Houston. If he starts again we're conceding our third consecutive loss with our #5 pitcher.

Sorry, but I think it's crazy to think he wouldn't get bombed against the Angels with guys like Trout, Pujols, Hamilton (who will probably be hitting by then), Trumbo, Kendrick, etc.

Britton was very lucky today. A lot of stingers.

10 hits, 2 walks in 6 IP allowing 6 earned runs and throwing 100+ pitches. That's a poor outing by nearly every standard.

I will say that some of his off speed stuff looked good. His four seamer looked awful. Some of his 2 seamers were very good. Others were hung.

The Orioles didn't do him any favours by pitching him on 11 days rest. If you want him to get better, you pitch him consistently. Should have never called him up.

Britton was very lucky today. A lot of stingers.

10 hits, 2 walks in 6 IP allowing 6 earned runs and throwing 100+ pitches. That's a poor outing by nearly every standard.

I will say that some of his off speed stuff looked good. His four seamer looked awful. Some of his 2 seamers were very good. Others were hung.

The Orioles didn't do him any favours by pitching him on 11 days rest. If you want him to get better, you pitch him consistently. Should have never called him up.

You pitch him consistently in the minors first. Calling him up was foolish and giving him a second start would be idiocy.

Even just looking at his limited performance this year, you could see he was very hittable and he had control problems. This isn't the kind of guy should who should pitch with such an overworked bullpen.

No way should he get another start. He pitched poorly against one of the worst offenses in baseball, in their home park where they typically struggle.

Britton will get knocked around even worse against every other team in the AL with the lone exception of Houston. If he starts again we're conceding our third consecutive loss with our #5 pitcher.

Sorry, but I think it's crazy to think he wouldn't get bombed against the Angels with guys like Trout, Pujols, Hamilton (who will probably be hitting by then), Trumbo, Kendrick, etc.

Yes...and our other options would have an easy time against that lineup.

I'll take my chances with Britton, knowing that he'll continue to get better as he didn't really look all that bad tonight. He had some struggles, but it's not like he was all over the place like Jake. He just needs to make some minor adjustments, and he'll be good to go.

Im a huge Steve Johnson fan. He just isnt ready yet. Needs 2-3 more starts.

I agree with Roy. Steve needs some more time at AAA. The pitcher that should start on Saturday should be the one that gives the O's the best chance to win. That is Garcia for now.

Britton had too much rest between starts which might have contributed to him not being in command as much as he needs to be. But he has not shown great command at AAA either so far. I think Britton like Johnson needs more time at AAA.

He has to have another chance. IMO

Absolutely right. Anyone who looks beyond the last two games is living in the past. The fact the Angels are 9-15 and struggling mightily just means they're due, and Angelos' penny-pinching roster is obviously showing the first signs of completely unraveling. It's not like we're playing major league baseball here, where borderline AAA pitchers sometimes throw 8 innings of 1-hit ball.

Steve needs some more time. It's not Arrieta. I actually think next up is going to be Freddy. I'd be surprised if we saw Johnson before June. Britton will get another start. Freddy will be next. Johnson keeps rehabbing at AAA and would be next in line. My opinion.

Absolutely right. Anyone who looks beyond the last two games is living in the past. The fact the Angels are 9-15 and struggling mightily just means they're due, and Angelos' penny-pinching roster is obviously showing the first signs of completely unraveling. It's not like we're playing major league baseball here, where borderline AAA pitchers sometimes throw 8 innings of 1-hit ball.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised you would support giving more chances to another terrible pitcher after you incorrectly backed the Orioles giving Arrieta a chance. You seem to have trouble identifying pitchers who aren't capable of being quality major league starters.

You also should give up the sarcasm. Stick with your typical objectivism, and heed the performance-based results we have in front of us with Arrieta and Britton. It will eventually help you understand that you have some sort of blind spot for some of these failed Orioles pitchers.

Archived