Steve Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

The thing about Johnson is his typical line is 5 2/3 100 pitches and 3 or 4 runs. That eats through our BP. I like his savvy out there and he clearly knows how to pitch, but he has to nibble too much because he really doesn't have very much in the way of stuff. It's all guile. 4.2 BB per nine innings. If he can figure out a way to cut that in half and lowers his pitch count per inning he becomes more valuable.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They could. I was explaining the situation to the previous poster as to one possible reason why Jurrjens is not being promoted and/or is not being considered.

Thank you sir. I pay little attention to whose on the 40 obviously :D

I'm not afraid to admit I have low expectations for Johnson. At least I won't be easily disappointed.

I just don't understand the Johnson-fest on this board. He's a great long man. No more than that. Limit his exposure and he'll work well. Throw him out there too many innings and Christmas tree lit up. Mark my words! He's his old man. And his old man was extremely lucky!

Happy for him. Hope they are more patient with Steve than they were for Britton. Hope Steve pitches better than Zach did. He's a great kid and he

deserves a shot.

You certainly are in love with Steve more than other guys way better stuff. Sure he had a decent year last year but his leash should be no longer than Brittons, Jakes or anyone elses. I'm sure the rest of the guys waiting are great people too.

Not picking on you specifically there is just a lot (probably too much) of Steve Johnson love. I understand the sentimental angle he brings, but he is going to have to make me a believer. He reminds me way too much of Brad Bergesen.

I just don't understand the Johnson-fest on this board. He's a great long man. No more than that. Limit his exposure and he'll work well. Throw him out there too many innings and Christmas tree lit up. Mark my words! He's his old man. And his old man was extremely lucky!

He pitched well in his 38 innings last year. That qualifies him as a savior on the OH.

I like the guy, I hope he does well and I think you are right about his role. Hopefully he is who he was last year. I have serious doubts.

I see just the opposite of pro-Johnson "OH bias" in this thread. I think a lot of people are assuming he is his father and writing him off.

One person in this thread compared him to Brad Bergeson. Why, I don't know. Bergeson averaged 5.6 K/9 in his minor league career. Johnson is at 8.4.

Meanwhile, someone else talked about a "typical Johnson start" being under 6 innings and allowing 3 or 4 runs. That certainly wasn't "typical" of his major league starts last year. And given his ERA in Norfolk last year I don't think it was typical of his minor league starts either. It appears to me it is only "typical" of someone's imagining what Johnson is like as a pitcher based on what his father was.

The Johnson I saw last year threw much harder than his father did and was not some AAAA "nibbler" trying to eke out a career living on the edge of the plate.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

I see just the opposite of pro-Johnson "OH bias" in this thread. I think a lot of people are assuming he is his father and writing him off.

One person in this thread compared him to Brad Bergeson. Why, I don't know. Bergeson averaged 5.6 K/9 in his minor league career. Johnson is at 8.4.

Meanwhile, someone else talked about a "typical Johnson start" being under 6 innings and allowing 3 or 4 runs. That certainly wasn't "typical" of his major league starts last year. And given his ERA in Norfolk last year I don't think it was typical of his minor league starts either. It appears to me it is only "typical" of someone's imagining what Johnson is like as a pitcher based on what his father was.

The Johnson I saw last year threw much harder than his father did and was not some AAAA "nibbler" trying to eke out a career living on the edge of the plate.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Johnson works 88-90, that's not much harder than his father, Imo. He also walks way too many, call it command, call it nibbling, call it whatever you like, but he allows too many baserunners.

Happy for him. Hope they are more patient with Steve than they were for Britton. Hope Steve pitches better than Zach did. He's a great kid and he

deserves a shot.

Britton threw 99 pitches in 4 1/3 innings last start in the minors.

I largely agree with this. His stuff certainly looked better than I was expecting last year. Not top half of the rotation by any stretch, but I've seen guys get by with a lot worse.

Archived