T.J. McFarland Today, 2013

OFFNY

Been really impressed with him so far. Pretty amazing he has 8 strikeouts in 5 IP considering he throws 86 MPH. ML hitters probably just not used to his sinker yet. I'm sure that will change fast.

He throws strikes and can get outs, perfect long man reliever. I don't ever see him starting for us though. 2-3 innings here and there. Great arm to have in extra inning games.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been really impressed with him so far. Pretty amazing he has 8 strikeouts in 5 IP considering he throws 86 MPH. ML hitters probably just not used to his sinker yet. I'm sure that will change fast.

He throws strikes and can get outs, perfect long man reliever. I don't ever see him starting for us though. 2-3 innings here and there. Great arm to have in extra inning games.

Thanks for the input, Markakis. :)

TJ's strikeout rate won't stay as high as it is.....his numbers in the minors has mostly been along the lines of 6.3/9 with a decent walk rate of 2.8 BB/9. Now, that's been more along the lines of a starter.

As a long relief guy? I think he can raise that quite a bit. Not because of a change in velocity or anything, but as a guy that comes in later in the game when a hitter has already adjusted to the starter...he can catch a lot of guys off guard once or even twice through a lineup. Very deceptive, most of his stuff is low in the zone.

As a starter, he reminds me of someone like Steve Johnson....not as fast as pitcher....but deceptive with good command.

Thing we have to remember about TJ is that he's only 23. He does have 5 years of pro ball under his belt and about 620 IP logged mostly as a starter. 48-31 in the minors, 1.366 WHIP, 3.83 ERA, 116 games of those 116 games he starter 107 of them.

Now, he probably has a lot of value as a long relief pitcher as he's been used. 3 innings here, 2 innings there...maybe a 4 inning stint when needed if he can keep his pitch count low. But I'd imagine 3 times through an order is when batters will catch up. He has looked really good in his 2 stints. During spring training, he progressed nicely nearly each time out.

I think he'll stick on the Orioles roster for the year as a Steve Johnson kind of role. Most likely won't start...but middle and long relief has a role where needed especially if this team plays a lot of close games.

Do lefties tend to work slower than righties? I have to admit, I've never noticed.

Well certainly not a hard and fast rule, but they tend to be a little more methodical. They don't throw as hard, sort of nibble a little more, and will stare a guy down at first more. And lefties are always a little quirky. I'm using a lot of heuristics here, but just what I've observed over the years.

T.J. McFARLAND O (vs. DODGERS, 4/21)

IP:. 2.33 *

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 2

SO: 3

Pitches: 53 (33 Strikes, 20 Balls)

2013 ERA: 2.61

* McFarland entered the game with runners on 1st and 3rd, and nobody out.

Gotta figure TJ is a strong candidate to take over Arrieta's spot in the rotation at this point. He may not be great, but it looks like he can burn innings and has a pretty good idea about pitching.

Why? He is the long man and needs to stick all season. If you put him in as a starter and he fails and loses confidence, he may not continue his success and we may not be able to keep him on the roster.

Starting TJ at this point in the season is a horrible decision. Horrible.

Why? He is the long man and needs to stick all season. If you put him in as a starter and he fails and loses confidence, he may not continue his success and we may not be able to keep him on the roster.

Starting TJ at this point in the season is a horrible decision. Horrible.

Yeah, I really don't think he's going to have a mental breakdown he doesn't do well in the rotation. I don't have a lot of confidence in Britton and Matusz and Hunter have already failed several times over as starters.

Yeah, I really don't think he's going to have a mental breakdown he doesn't do well in the rotation. I don't have a lot of confidence in Britton and Matusz and Hunter have already failed several times over as starters.

He is young, there is a great chance that will happen. Then, we lose him. No thanks, not worth the risk.

My options: Steve Johnson (rehabbing, in 2 weeks, he is your guy). Until then, stay with Jake or use Garica or the other guy on the 40 man that we claimed off waivers. We have a plethora of options. I would leave Matusz and Hunter where they are.

He is young, there is a great chance that will happen. Then, we lose him. No thanks, not worth the risk.

My options: Steve Johnson (rehabbing, in 2 weeks, he is your guy). Until then, stay with Jake or use Garica or the other guy on the 40 man that we claimed off waivers. We have a plethora of options. I would leave Matusz and Hunter where they are.

Yeah, I disagree, I don't think there is a "great chance" he'll have a mental breakdown and fall part if he doesn't do well as a starter. I could be wrong but I think Jake is done for now and while SJ is an option, we need somebody quicker than two weeks and he hasn't even made a start in the minors yet. If we use Garcia we have to drop someone off the 40 man roster. I don't see them doing that yet.

Archived