I'm not bemoaning the loss of Reynolds, but...

NewMarketSean

This is kinda silly.. The guy could have hit like Babe Ruth and if the pitching isn't there then it wouldn't matter.

The rest of your post makes sense. They banked on Roberts and Reimold as their upgrades which was risky. Through 4.3% of the season it hasn't worked 57% of the time.

I'm not so sure. Think about it this way. Recall the old saw about waiting to buy that big FA bat until you are "one or two players away" from competing for the division/playoffs/WS. The notion that one player can tip the balance - and put the team over the top - is heralded as the cornerstone of the responsible approach to free agency. Now, think about them banking on Reimold hitting up to his potential for a season... and therefore not acquiring the "big bat" with that in mind. That was my point. That it appeared to me that they were banking on Reimold - gambling, rather. I just think that was risky, if indeed that was their thinking.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not so sure. Think about it this way. Recall the old saw about waiting to buy that big FA bat until you are "one or two players away" from competing for the division/playoffs/WS. The notion that one player can tip the balance - and put the team over the top - is heralded as the cornerstone of the responsible approach to free agency. Now, think about them banking on Reimold hitting up to his potential for a season... and therefore not acquiring the "big bat" with that in mind. That was my point. That it appeared to me that they were banking on Reimold - gambling, rather. I just think that was risky, if indeed that was their thinking.

I hear you and maybe I misunderstood what you were saying.

I guess my issue was with this statement:

But my take was: our season almost hinged on him producing

Well, the season doesn't hinge on this because there are so many other factors. But I think you are saying any improvement in the team would hinge on Reimold producing, and I believe that is what the O's were thinking, or at least publicly saying, after failing to add a significant bat in the offseason.

No doubt it was risky. But then it would have been risky (and maybe riskier in $ and prospects) to add some of the big names out there.

I wish they would have done more in the offseason. Though, I don't exactly know what was available to them. I walked away from the offseason thinking they were worse than they were at the end of the year due mainly to the loss of Reynolds and no impact signing.

Archived