Minimum MLB contract at 500k is it time to give the kids in the minors some money?

Gurgi

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering if it is time to maybe triple the amount of money that the minor leaguers make. Would a minimum of 35k be right for low minors? 75k for AAA.

The minors are not unionized and the MLBPA is more concerned with bargaining away the rights of those that haven't made it yet then they are helping them.

Is it time to give the kids in the minors some money?

I was wondering if it is time to maybe triple the amount of money that the minor leaguers make. Would a minimum of 35 K be right for low minors? 75 K for AAA.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, IT'S BEEN time to give them more money for quite a while now.

However, as Corn just stated, it is highly doubtful that it will happen.

The minors are not unionized and the MLBPA is more concerned with bargaining away the rights of those that haven't made it yet then they are helping them.

I guess so. Still it just seems a little wrong.

I was wondering if it is time to maybe triple the amount of money that the minor leaguers make. Would a minimum of 35k be right for low minors? 75k for AAA.

I believe that the minor leaguers should be in the union. Playing in the minor leagues itself probably is not a goal that players should aspire too. If I had the skill to play minor league baseball, I'd do it no matter the compensation.

I guess so. Still it just seems a little wrong.

I agree. I think your suggestion is overly generous but there is plenty of room between the two figures. If the MLBPA made even the tiniest stink about it during the next CBA the owners would toss the guys in the minors a bone.

I agree. I think your suggestion is overly generous but there is plenty of room between the two figures. If the MLBPA made even the tiniest stink about it during the next CBA the owners would toss the guys in the minors a bone.

Maybe they can find a way to let them into the union as part-time, seasonal.

The devil's advocate view is that two-bit Indy leagues have no problem filling out rosters paying players less than $1000 a month for four or five months. So why should MLB teams pay their org guys five, six, eight times that?

Which is why the MLBPA would pretty much have to be involved to force a change.

Which is why the MLBPA would pretty much have to be involved to force a change.

And until such time as the members want to dilute their impact, I guess it will stay the same. Ask Lew Ford how much he requires to play.

And until such time as the members want to dilute their impact, I guess it will stay the same. Ask Lew Ford how much he requires to play.

Well folks like Lew, who can sign deals as minor league free agents can do a lot better then those kids under team control.

Well folks like Lew, who can sign deals as minor league free agents can do a lot better then those kids under team control.

Very True. I've heard quite a few minor league players gripe about the pay scale. Of course non of them ever made it to the bigs. Not saying that is cause and effect.

And Lew played several years in the Atlantic league where a top player makes $2500 a month during the season.

Well according to the graph I found here:

http://www.yougoprobaseball.com/how-much-money-do-minor-league-baseball-players-make-get-paid.html

2,500 a month is doing pretty good.

Level 1st Year 2nd Year 3rd Year

Rookie $1150 $1200 $1250

Short S A $1150 $1200 $1250

Low A $1300 $1350 $1400

High A $1500 $1550 $1600

Double A $1700 $1800 $1900

Triple A $2150 $2400 $2700

Of course they don't get paid during ST, just meal money.

The devil's advocate view is that two-bit Indy leagues have no problem filling out rosters paying players less than $1000 a month for four or five months. So why should MLB teams pay their org guys five, six, eight times that?

Because Indy leagues aren't connected to a billion-dollar industry that regularly hands out 9 figure contracts? Because there isn't a single major league team that can't afford to pay their minor leaguers enough to make sure they aren't going to struggle to feed their kids in the offseason? Because Indy leaguers generally know what they're getting into and don't have the potential cup of coffee dangling in front of their faces, possibly convincing them to forgo a college education? Becuase MLB teams should pay more for the privilege of controlling these players' fates until they retire?

Archived