Where's EdRod?

Frobby

Bowie is what, 25 miles from Baltimore?

More seriously, this is a 20-year old kid who has pitched four games at AA. He doesn't throw in the upper 90's. For me, he's someone you might hope to see some time after the all-star break next year, or maybe in 2015. He'll spend the rest of this season at Bowie and should get about 7 more starts before their season ends. Then the O's can judge whether to return him to AA next April or start him at Norfolk, depending how he fares the rest of this year. I don't favor rushing this kid, who already is very young for the level he's at.

Ha, I was going to say about 30 miles. :cool:

Just a thought to add - one good thing about 20 year old pitchers is they can get bigger and stronger and perhaps add an MPH or 2 to their fastball over time. I concur about not rushing him. I do like that he appears to be durable.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rodriguez gave up home runs to 2 of the first 4 the first batters of the game (the lead-off batter and the # 4 batter), and it didn't get much better after that.

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Erie, 7/28)

IP:. 4

H:o 7

R:O 6

BB: 3

SO: 2

Pitches: 84 (53 Strikes, 31 Balls)

2013 ERA: 5.88 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (12 Strikes, 81 Balls)

27 (14 Strikes, 13 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 31 Balls)

27 (20 Strikes, 71 Balls)

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Portland, 8/03)

IP:. 4.67

H:o 8

R:O 5

BB: 2

SO: 5

Pitches: 98 (64 Strikes, 34 Balls)

2013 ERA: 6.46 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

17 (13 Strikes, 41 Balls)

18 (12 Strikes, 61 Balls)

25 (14 Strikes, 11 Balls)

21 (15 Strikes, 61 Balls)

17 (10 Strikes, 71 Balls) *

* Rodriguez recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

There's something about the last out of each inning with Rodriguez.

He struck out the final batter swinging in 3 of the 4 innings that he pitched. He might have made it 4-for-4 if the catcher had not thrown out the player attempting steal 2nd base.

It's everybody else before that in which he has had trouble with lately.

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Portland, 8/08)

IP:. 4

H:o 6

R:O 5

BB: 4

SO: 4

Pitches: 90 (53 Strikes, 37 Balls)

2013 ERA: 7.01 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

24 (18 Strikes, 61 Balls)

21 (11 Strikes, 10 Balls)

13 (11 Strikes, 21 Balls)

32 (13 Strikes, 19 Balls)

Rodriguez' best outing in quite a while.

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Erie, 8/15)

IP:. 5

H:o 4

R:O 0

BB: 1

SO: 8

Pitches: 96 (59 Strikes, 37 Balls)

2013 ERA: 6.13 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

12 (81 Strikes, 41 Balls)

22 (15 Strikes, 71 Balls)

16 (10 Strikes, 61 Balls)

22 (14 Strikes, 81 Balls)

24 (12 Strikes, 12 Balls)

A lot of pitches for 5 IP, but 8 K and 0 R is a step in the right direction. Hopefully, he gets his feet under him now at AA.

Another good start from Rodriguez. 6IP, 5H, 1R, 1ER, 1BB, 7K

His transition to AA hasn't been entirely smooth, but his K-rate is extremely high and considering his age, I'm pretty impressed.

Another good start from Rodriguez. 6IP, 5H, 1R, 1ER, 1BB, 7K

His transition to AA hasn't been entirely smooth, but his K-rate is extremely high and considering his age, I'm pretty impressed.

I agree with your take. Obviously you can't rave about a 5.52 ERA, but he's had several really good starts, he's striking out a lot of guys and he's still taking the ball every 5-6 days. He's already got 131 innings under his belt this year, which is a lot for a 20-year old. He could make another two starts before the season ends and finish somewhere in the 140-145 range. He's putting himself in great position to be a factor for the Orioles in 2015.

Even though he had 5 shutout innings in his previous outing, Rodriguez threw 96 pitches.

This time, he was able to go 6 innings, ceding 1 run, walking 1, and striking out 7.

He may finally be starting to settle in at this (AA) level.

A strong finish to the season would be great, and perhaps he can split next year between AA-Bowie and AAA-Norfolk if things go well.

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Binghamton, 8/20)

IP:. 6

H:o 5

R:O 1

BB: 1

SO: 7

Pitches: 94 (61 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2013 ERA: 5.52 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (11 Strikes, 9 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

12 (71 Strikes, 5 Balls)

15 (12 Strikes, 3 Balls)

23 (15 Strikes, 8 Balls)

I am all for letting these guys take their time in the minors. I would use Tampa as a model on how to develop pitching prospects.

I had this discussion with another poster in another thread. I may be putting words in your mouth, but the Rays model is I think misunderstood.

As far as I can tell (and I just did a quick survey, not a comprehensive review), "take their time," as the Rays seem to practice it, does not mean pitching at a higher age relative to league. Most of the (successful) Rays pitchers have pitched against older competition through most of their minor league careers. What the Rays HAVE done is avoid midseason promotions; generally, a pitcher will start the season with an aggressive assignment, then stay there all year.

So if you actually want to advocate a Rays-style approach, you ought to approve of the way the Orioles have handled Zach Davies and Devin Jones (ignoring that 1 start he made at Frederick) and dislike what they've done with Rodriguez and Tyler Wilson.

8 shutout innings.

2 hits.

0 walks (but 1 hit batsman), and 5 strikeouts.

At one point, he retired 13 consecutive batters.

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Binghamton, 8/26)

IP:. 8

H:o 2

BB: 0 *

Pitches: 95 (66 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.70 (AA-Bowie)

* Rodriguez had 1 hit batsman.

PITCHES BY INNING

15 (11 Strikes, 4 Balls)

91 (41 Strikes, 5 Balls)

14 (11 Strikes, 3 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

10 (51 Strikes, 5 Balls)

15 (10 Strikes, 5 Balls)

13 (11 Strikes, 2 Balls)

81 (61 Strikes, 2 Balls)

8 shutout innings.

2 hits.

0 walks (but 1 hit batsman), and 5 strikeouts.

At one point, he retired 13 consecutive batters.

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Binghamton, 8/26)

IP:. 8

H:o 2

BB: 0 *

Pitches: 95 (66 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.70 (AA-Bowie)

* Rodriguez had 1 hit batsman.

PITCHES BY INNING

15 (11 Strikes, 4 Balls)

91 (41 Strikes, 5 Balls)

14 (11 Strikes, 3 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

10 (51 Strikes, 5 Balls)

15 (10 Strikes, 5 Balls)

13 (11 Strikes, 2 Balls)

81 (61 Strikes, 2 Balls)

Only 5 strikeouts. This kid was OBVIOUSLY rushed.

Archived