Brawl in Dodgers/Padres Game: Greinke injured

Dipper9

Agree that it was not intentional but Greinke definitely called him out after hitting him. And Quentin is tied at number 36 for most times being hit by a pitch. And on a per-plate-appearance basis he's number 1.

When he got hit on the wrist on Tuesday night against these same Padres by a Belisario sinker in the 7th inning he was forced to leave the game. After being hit, he started towards first base but after a few steps he stopped and called out the trainer. Quentin thought the wrist had been broken although x-rays later came back negative.

Maybe after getting whacked Tuesday night and then again last night, he finally said, "That's it. Enough is enough".

Yes, and his response should have been "doggone it, I'm going to keep getting hit like three times a week if my batting stance actually has me over the plate most of the time. Enough is enough, and I'm moving back 12" in the box."

It appears that Quentin has been hit by three or four strikes. He gets hit because he knows that it allows him to drive outside pitches, and if someone hits him it's as good as a walk.

Quentin wouldn't say the exact words but did say this, "It's unfortunate about the situation, but it could have been avoided." As to what Greinke's exact words were he said this:

"That was the final straw," Quentin said of Greinke's words. "Look at his body language and look at the video. It's clear as day."

So, basically, he's saying that he's not man enough to just walk to first after getting plunked while standing on top of home plate and inviting everyone to hit him. Blaming Greinke's body language or whatever he said is no different than my four and six year olds saying "he made me throw a train at his head because he called me a doody head!" Except that, as far as I know, Quentin isn't four, or even six.

He was charging the mound to send a message to any pitcher who dared to not throw him a ball out over the middle of the plate where he can drive it 450 feet. I hope he's suspended 50 games.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, and his response should have been "doggone it, I'm going to keep getting hit like three times a week if my batting stance actually has me over the plate most of the time. Enough is enough, and I'm moving back 12" in the box."

He wasn't over the plate. He was a good 12" or more back in the box. Look at his feet. It looks like he was getting ready to swing.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26209215&c_id=mlb

He wasn't over the plate. He was a good 12" or more back in the box. Look at his feet. It looks like he was getting ready to swing.http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26209215&c_id=mlb
Ok, so maybe this time he wasn't actually over top of the plate. But it sure seems that this was his revenge for getting hit so much, which is directly attributable to the fact he hangs out in or very close to the strike zone on a regular basis.

Ok, so maybe this time he wasn't actually over top of the plate. But it sure seems that this was his revenge for getting hit so much, which is directly attributable to the fact he hangs out in or very close to the strike zone on a regular basis.

Look. I'm not defending him. He should have trotted down to 1B and that would have been the end of the story. There is no way Greinke was trying to hit him. The catcher's glove is set up over the plate.

I think, regardless of whether his stance increases his risk of getting hit, he got tired of it and decided to go after Greinke. Remember, he thought Padres pitcher Belasario had broken his wrist when he hit him on Tuesday night.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26146839&c_id=mlb

Quentin's postgame comments will probably not sit well with the Commissioner's Office.

I agree. This is one of the most violent/stupid things I have ever seen a MLB player do in my life time. The Dodgers have to be extremely mad. With all the injuries the Dodgers are having' date=' I don't think they are going to make it to the World Series like some have predicted. They might have to get lucky just to make it to the playoffs.[/quote']I don't think it was that violent at all. Serious injury resulted but no punches were even thrown, just a normal charge at the mound, Greinke met him with his shoulder, and then they wrestled each other down. Quentin's fault for charging the mound, attacking Greinke, when he probably wasn't even being thrown at, but the brawl was pretty typical. I think Quentin should get like 10 games.

Greinke and Quentin have a "history" of these types of incidents.

AFAIK, no such history exists between Sabathia and Markakis. But if it were to happen, and considering Sabathia's size, I'm afraid Markakis would come up on the losing end.

For those saying he shouldn't have charged the mound, I wonder what your opinion would be if CC hits Markakis tonight and Markakis charged CC.

Uh...if it's a 1-run game in the 7th with nobody out, I would call him an idiot. There'd be no reason to believe it was on purpose, and he'd be risking injury and ensuring a suspension. I'd be pretty pissed at Nick.

I have seen the play over and over today on MLB. I think the mound charge was pretty normal. It was Greinke running down the mound at the end and intentionally going into a slam to meet the rush. It really maxed out the impact. And Greinke broke first.

I do think the pitch probably wasnt intentional because the catcher didnt do anything. Sometimes when it is intentional the catcher knows beforehand and the catcher pretty much jumps up and gets in front. Like they knew what was coming. This catcher didnt do that and he also didnt protect his pitcher.

Uh...if it's a 1-run game in the 7th with nobody out, I would call him an idiot. There'd be no reason to believe it was on purpose, and he'd be risking injury and ensuring a suspension. I'd be pretty pissed at Nick.

well, if it ended with CC being out for two months like Greinke, I don't know that I would mind that much, but, no, seriously, baseball needs to set new rules with the Players Association for mound charging and for throwing at hitters. Make it a mandatory 50 game suspension and a similar suspension if a pitcher is tossed out of a game after a warning for throwing at someone. That will stop this nonsense.

For those saying he shouldn't have charged the mound, I wonder what your opinion would be if CC hits Markakis tonight and Markakis charged CC.

Dumb as dumb could be. What would your reaction be if he broke his arm, missed three months, came back badly, and the O's missed the playoffs by a couple of games? That he was a real man, and that's more important than winning?

well, if it ended with CC being out for two months like Greinke, I don't know that I would mind that much, but, no, seriously, baseball needs to set new rules with the Players Association for mound charging and for throwing at hitters. Make it a mandatory 50 game suspension and a similar suspension if a pitcher is tossed out of a game after a warning for throwing at someone. That will stop this nonsense.

Hockey stopped bench clearing brawls with a simple rules change. If baseball wanted to they could, too. 30 or 40 game suspension for charging the mound, similar for leaving the dugout, and the manager gets suspended for 20 games, too. And suddenly there's no problem any more.

Greinke and Quentin have a "history" of these types of incidents.

AFAIK, no such history exists between Sabathia and Markakis. But if it were to happen, and considering Sabathia's size, I'm afraid Markakis would come up on the losing end.

Yea, that's a very bad example. It's like the beginning of the "fair fight without weapons" between Andre the Giant and Wesley.

I think there is a much better chance that MLB will do something substantive in regards to brawls given that this is the Dodgers and their huge investment in Greinke.

You could argue that the fight cost the Dodgers $10-15M in lost production. And that's if Greinke comes back at 100% in 2-3 months.

Yes, this is unworkable, but maybe a real solution: Keep the suspension penalties where they are, but you have to pay the salary for missed time for anyone you injure. I guess that would incentivize fights among minimally-salaried players.

Archived