Why I like Nick Markakis - BB

BoltonBob

He's a below average MLB player. Like I've been saying for a while now. Being barely above replacement level isn't saying much for an MLB player because you are comparing yourself to AAA players.

If you were saying this for longer than this season, you'd be wrong. And most of a player's value is just getting to average. More than half of all MLB players are below-average, and there's a ton of value in those players. There's value in just being a flexible, motivated, multi-position player who plays at replacement level.

That's kind of irrelevant in Markakis' case. Since his career is 20-some wins above replacement and 7-8 wins above average, and unless he has some kind of permanent injury will probably rebound.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as Roberts and steroids. I do think his injury problems the past 4 years are possibly steroid related. But I have no proof of it, either. Some guys like Bonds seem to thrive on them.

So the two concussions in 7 months that messed his head up, was a result of PEDs?

SMH

Would be nice to have someone ask Nick or the coaching staff about his season and lack of power. There appears to be no end in sight.

I wonder if it's to do with the multiple surgeries he's had over the last year.

Someone get a memo into Roch and let him ask Buck & DD! :)

There appears to be no end in sight.

If we don't know what the problem is, and it apparently just took hold within the last 2-3 months, then why is the assumption that there's no end in sight? To me I'd assume that the body of his career is the baseline, and absent other information his performance will trend back towards career averages.

If we don't know what the problem is, and it apparently just took hold within the last 2-3 months, then why is the assumption that there's no end in sight? To me I'd assume that the body of his career is the baseline, and absent other information his performance will trend back towards career averages.

Well said. There seems to be a tendency to predict regression when an oriole plays above his career averages, but accept it as the new normal when he plays below them.

So the two concussions in 7 months that messed his head up, was a result of PEDs?

SMH

Well how many players suffer from multiple concussions in baseball? His stolen base knee injury this year was also on a regular looking slide. Same as one of his concussions.

Well how many players suffer from multiple concussions in baseball? His stolen base knee injury this year was also on a regular looking slide. Same as one of his concussions.

Hell, Ken Griffy Jr was hurt quite a bit, by playing hard.

Same with Bryce Harper.

Look at Jeffrey Hammonds.

Multiple guys throughout baseball playing hard and racking up injuries as a result.

Archived