Will this be Arrieta's last start if he tanks? (UPDATE: He Tanked- He was optioned)

sevastras

I have a feeling that Jake is walking a thin line right now. I am not going to speculate who would take his place, but I would think that if he doesnt go out their and throw strikes he will be packing up and heading back to Norfolk again.

Game 1:

5ip

5 ER

1hbp

2BB

Game 2:

5ip

3ER

4BB

I would imagine that Buck will either give him a short leash, or enough rope to hang himself today. I know it is early, but Buck gets frustrated by Jake and expects so much more out of him.

I said I wouldnt speculate, but doesnt Gausman line up with Arietta in the rotation or are they pitching Gausman every 6?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, there is nobody to replace him yet.

Gausman isn't coming up this early, and nobody else has been healthy or effective.

The only scenario I can come up with would be Arrieta and McFarland switching roles.

I would imagine that he isnt too many games away if not this time. Good point on McFarland, he has been pretty good so far.

I am not good with service time, would Gausman coming up in May extend him another year? Only reason I bring up Gausman is that he has been so good, and better than his stats because of the poor defense behind him.

I think he has to wait 20 days to get the extra year. Sometime in late June, early July should prevent him from being a Super 2.

Jake has until Steve Johnson is healthy and had a few starts under his belt in the minors. McFarland and Arrieta could switch roles but I firmly believe Arrieta is close to putting it all together. I know he is a head case and right when it seems he gets it, he loses it. Jake is one bad inning away from being a solid starter. He just needs to avoid bad innings, and he needs the defense to pick him up when he needs it. Jake doesn't have as sort of a leash as everyone seems to think. Buck believes in letting Jake work it out, as long as their isn't a glaring obvious better option, which there isn't right now.

Jake has until Steve Johnson is healthy and had a few starts under his belt in the minors. McFarland and Arrieta could switch roles but I firmly believe Arrieta is close to putting it all together. I know he is a head case and right when it seems he gets it, he loses it. Jake is one bad inning away from being a solid starter. He just needs to avoid bad innings, and he needs the defense to pick him up when he needs it. Jake doesn't have as sort of a leash as everyone seems to think. Buck believes in letting Jake work it out, as long as their isn't a glaring obvious better option, which there isn't right now.

Buck gets frustrated with Jake and expects him to do better. He is harsher on him than say Matusz. This is just what I have perceived from body language and interviews with Buck.

He gets frustrate because he knows the potential there is for Jake, but Jake is shooting himself in the foot by over thinking his pitches. Regardless, Arrieta is one of Buck's favorites and has been ever since Buck arrived. Hence why Jake got the pill for the home opener 3 years in a row.

Gausman is the future. Keeping him for under 1 million dollars per year for a year longer is huge for the organization. I went and watched Gausman's home opener and he everything that everyone is saying; but he needs to get his innings up and fine tune his pitches. Since the Orioles have plenty of other options, there is no reason to start his arbitration clock early.

Arrieta has those innings in the 3rd-5th where he just seems to put guys on via the walk at a high rate. I would like to see his stats in innings 1 and 2 over the last 2-3 years. I think this guy's future might be in the pen, but the Orioles just do not have enough quaity starters at this point. Assuming that Bundy and Gausman could be ready to start next year this team should look to add a bat or two (DH/1B and 2B) and run out a rotation of:

Hammel

Chen

Gonzalez

Gausman

Bundy

The more I look at this team the more I think that next year might be the year if we make a couple smart decisions.

Archived