Will this be Arrieta's last start if he tanks? (UPDATE: He Tanked- He was optioned)

sevastras

Jake earned another start.

If your 5th starter can go 5 innings and allow 1 earned run you are in good shape.

He walked five. He went to a 3-0 count on several others. If he'd been facing any offense other than the Rays (or maybe the Astros or Marlins), the damage would've been a lot worse.

I agree that he won't lose his job because of this outing, but nothing about Arrieta's outing tonight screams "good shape" to me.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jake earned another start.

If your 5th starter can go 5 innings and allow 1 earned run you are in good shape.

Seriously want a pitcher who cant go any deeper than 5? He had some VERY nice stuff tonight, but the guy just wont throw strikes. It is frustrating. I think if you look at the box and see 5 innings 7 SO and 1 run you would say this guy is great, but he walked what 5 or 6?

He walked five. He went to a 3-0 count on several others. If he'd been facing any offense other than the Rays (or maybe the Astros or Marlins), the damage would've been a lot worse.

I agree that he won't lose his job because of this outing, but nothing about Arrieta's outing tonight screams "good shape" to me.

I was thinking Pirates and Marlins.

Its about results. 5 IP. 1 ER

While I agree with a lot of what you say on here, I disagree on this. You want your relievers pitching 4 ever game? We would have to have 2 more relievers on our bench. While I would take that every game in September, I cant see the relievers holding up. Especially since the last 2 games were 5 innings 5 runs, and 5 innings 3 runs. It is still just 5 innings. I would rather have 8 innings a 3 runs a game.

While I agree with a lot of what you say on here, I disagree on this. You want your relievers pitching 4 ever game? We would have to have 2 more relievers on our bench. While I would take that every game in September, I cant see the relievers holding up. Especially since the last 2 games were 5 innings 5 runs, and 5 innings 3 runs. It is still just 5 innings. I would rather have 8 innings a 3 runs a game.

Arrieta is the 5th starter. There are 4 others.

I said he earned another start, that's it. He has to show improvement.

His last start was in the pouring rain in 40 degree temps. I can't count that against him.

I am not thrilled with his outing tonight. He just can't locate. That said, anybody who can't see the obvious, and huge, potential this guy has...Needs to be a soccer fan. His stuff is off the charts. Will he master the command? Maybe and maybe not. But I can clearly see why they want to give him every opportunity to find it. IMO, the most talented pitcher on the club. Chen is the best starting Pitcher on the club.

Always funny, if Hammel, Chen or Gonzalez pitched this game the remarks would be not great, but pitched out of trouble, kept the O's in the game giving up only one. Hammels last or perhaps two ago 3 walks, two HBP and many here thought he looked good. With Jake though it was the Rays, still looked lousy. Yada, yada, yada...even in ST, when he had a decent outing it was because he pitched under the lights. It's nice to have a W...give it a rest.

Archived