Kevin Gausman Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't imagine he is overly close considering the lack of innings/pitches he threw while in the majors.

Let's investigate, shall we.

Here is Steve Melewski before the season started:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/02/kevin-gausman-on-his-innings-limit-high-expectations-and-powdered-donuts.html

He estimated the cap for Gausman this year to be in the 160 to 180 IP range (he threw 141.2 last year).

So far in 2013 Gausman has thrown 33.1 in the majors and 74 so far in the minors. That totals 107.1 so far in 2013.

That leaves him with somewhere in the 50-70 innings range for the rest of this year. So it seems to me that that's EXACTLY what they're doing with him. We need him to have room left in the tank for the stretch run in September and hopefully October as well. If he starts going 6-7 innings in a start now, he'll be basically cooked by the end of September. So it seems like things are roughly right on target at the moment.

Gausman's performance this year has been truly disheartening. I remember the scouting report when we drafted him. They noted his exceptional velocity. Perfect pitching frame. Mediocre at best fastball command and complete absence of a pro level breaking pitch.

Don't know who the scout was, but he was spot on. Nailed it.

We have got to change our philosophy. Instead of trying to develop fastball command, look for fastball command. Instead of trying to pray someone develops a breaking pitch, look for a breaking pitch.

Gausman's performance this year has been truly disheartening. I remember the scouting report when we drafted him. They noted his exceptional velocity. Perfect pitching frame. Mediocre at best fastball command and complete absence of a pro level breaking pitch.

Don't know who the scout was, but he was spot on. Nailed it.

We have got to change our philosophy. Instead of trying to develop fastball command, look for fastball command. Instead of trying to pray someone develops a breaking pitch, look for a breaking pitch.

I don't understand how you can give up on someone who is in their first full professional season.

I didnt read one scout who criticised Gausman's fastball control. Have a look at our own Stotle's scouting report in the draft forum. Good velocity, control and secondaries were noted. He justs needs some time to learn how to pitch around the plate.

Again dude, its been one year in the professional leagues, where he has been jerked around with no real developmental plan.

His AA numbers indicated that he was ready. He skipped AAA like most high prospects and that was a developmental flaw. Hindsight was 20/20.

Duquette and the pitching personnel gave him a shot. He cannot command his pitches. He has no control. Forget pitch sequencing and the nuances of pitching which he is working on acquiring right now in AAA. He does not know where the ball is going.

His AA numbers indicated that he was ready. He skipped AAA like most high prospects and that was a developmental flaw. Hindsight was 20/20.

Duquette and the pitching personnel gave him a shot. He cannot command his pitches. He has no control. Forget pitch sequencing and the nuances of pitching which he is working on acquiring right now in AAA. He does not know where the ball is going.

Hyperbole much? Last year in 15 IP as a pro he walked 1 batter. This year in 46 IP he walked 5 batters in AA. He got called up to the ML - they hit him hard. He started to nibble. This effected his command. He started pitching scared. The Orioles screwed up his development plan. He will get his command back. He needs to command his secondary pitches better for sure, but he has had good control until he got called up to the ML.

This is blatantly false and you should be ashamed of yourself.

I tend to agree but does anyone know if he's been working on new pitches and tinkering without regard to outcome? Theres always that

possibility. The Orioles may be trying some things with him and it could affect his production.Has anyone personally seen him pitch in his last two

starts?

I STILL think he gets a callup and STILL think he can get outs.

I dont know what the strategy was when he was up here, but it was ugly. So hopefully establishing a changeup and slider is what he's doing.

Archived