Kevin Gausman Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but I have to be in the "please send him down to Triple A" group. Yes, his stuff was impressive, however, it took the Jays 2? innings to figure him out. Now of course, this is a small sample size of one game and its up to debate whether it was him or Wieter's game calling, that's not good. It took the AL East an entire rotation through Britton to finally guess his number. Britton first got called up, he was lights out. My point is this, kid has the stuff, no doubt, but he has not faced selective and skilled hitters on a regular basis. Sure he did in Spring Training for an inning or two and last night, but not on the regular. Pitching is a different beast than hitting. I never understood this Oriole philosophy to rush pitchers, especially given our track record. Britton, Arrieta, Tillman, and Matusz alone in recent years. I don't know, maybe its just my hesitation with the failure we've had rushing pitching talent to the bigs.

I think what I liked the most from watching him was his demeanor on the mound never changed. If he was nervous, I couldn't tell. If he was getting rattled, his face never showed it. He had the right look of demeanor between seriousness and excitement, and it stayed that way the whole game. He made some mistakes, it was his first start and he's 22, so that's to be expected. I liked what I saw.

I'm sorry, but I have to be in the "please send him down to Triple A" group. Yes, his stuff was impressive, however, it took the Jays 2? innings to figure him out. Now of course, this is a small sample size of one game and its up to debate whether it was him or Wieter's game calling, that's not good. It took the AL East an entire rotation through Britton to finally guess his number. Britton first got called up, he was lights out. My point is this, kid has the stuff, no doubt, but he has not faced selective and skilled hitters on a regular basis. Sure he did in Spring Training for an inning or two and last night, but not on the regular. Pitching is a different beast than hitting. I never understood this Oriole philosophy to rush pitchers, especially given our track record. Britton, Arrieta, Tillman, and Matusz alone in recent years. I don't know, maybe its just my hesitation with the failure we've had rushing pitching talent to the bigs.

I don't think AAA does anything for him, especially a AAA location that has more forgiveness than most due to the ballpark. The man has 70+ stuff, he has very good command, he was poised. What he needs to learn is how to deal with major league hitters, and there's a dearth of them in AAA.

I just don't think you were watching too closely if you think he should be sent down, for any reason other than service time concerns (which itself would be dumb). The guy basically made one mistake, which was the gopher ball to Arencibia. He will need to work on pitch selection and when to throw his offspeed stuff, but he is heads and shoulders better than the mess our 5th starters spot has been most of the year.

If Chen comes back and we get Gausman lined up as the #5 for a while, I think we are in pretty damn good shape. Let him learn up here, he's good enough to at least keep us in games in the meantime. Let's not forget we were right in this game until the bullpen blew up.

Was really impressed with Gausman. He deserved a W no doubt about it. Nick and Jonesy in particular thought so too, fought the bitter fight w back to back homers in the 8th to get back into the game. Shame the bullpen wasn't on the same page... Have a really strong feeling that Gausman will be something really special (as do many others) for the future of Os starting pitching.

Really disturbing how his fastball doesn't miss any bats.

A #4 pick should have a fast ball that can get out ML hitters. He should be able to throw all FB's and pitch to a 4.50 ERA. Now we are finding out that his FB needs to be spotted and he has to impove his secondary pitches. Fits with all the O's pitchers. And 22 isn't that young for a #4 pick, he's supposed to have exceptional talent.

A #4 pick should have a fast ball that can get out ML hitters. He should be able to throw all FB's and pitch to a 4.50 ERA. Now we are finding out that his FB needs to be spotted and he has to impove his secondary pitches. Fits with all the O's pitchers. And 22 isn't that young for a #4 pick, he's supposed to have exceptional talent.

He does, you don't get drafted #4 and rated as high as he has if you don't, and two starts doesn't change that.

KEVIN GAUSMAN O (vs. TIGERS, 6/02)

IP:. 6

H:o 5

R:O 1

BB: 0

SO: 4

Pitches: 96 (63 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2013 ERA: 7.20

PITCHES BY INNINGS

18 (12 Strikes)

24 (15 Strikes)

16 (11 Strikes)

11 (71 Strikes)

12 (81 Strikes)

15 (10 Strikes)

This post shows how little you know about baseball, and you should delete it post haste to avoid further embarrassment.

Archived