Kevin Gausman Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really disturbing how his fastball doesn't miss any bats.

A #4 pick should have a fast ball that can get out ML hitters. He should be able to throw all FB's and pitch to a 4.50 ERA. Now we are finding out that his FB needs to be spotted and he has to impove his secondary pitches. Fits with all the O's pitchers. And 22 isn't that young for a #4 pick, he's supposed to have exceptional talent.

I don't think there is anything honest in this post.

Let's face it - KG was brought up out of desperation. That said, he is exceptionally talented. I mean, wow - we haven't seen stuff like this from a starter in... well... never, that I can recall.

To me, it looked like he stopped overthrowing today. His velo settled around 94-95, touching 97 at times. But suddenly, the ball had a LOT more life on it. The two-seamer sinks, hard. It looks like a true sinker, but coming in at 96 on occasion. That is nasty, nasty stuff.

With the more relaxed-looking approach, it also looked like he got a feel for fastball location - and location in general. In other words, he started *pitching* today. The first couple starts he was throwing - hard.

I got a feeling we have an ace on our hands, gents. Pretty nice thought if he and Bundy both rise toward their potential over the next 1-2 seasons.

Let's face it - KG was brought up out of desperation. That said, he is exceptionally talented. I mean, wow - we haven't seen stuff like this from a starter in... well... never, that I can recall.

Since Mussina, IMO.

Not sure his slider will be enough to make him a TOR pitcher, but we'll be very happy with him.

We'll never know because no one tries it BUT the answer is most likey it's impossible. Chen Ming Wang through an awful lot of fastballs when he was good. Anyway, it's not a lie, it's just an opinion that is wrong. If he said there was a pitcher who threw all fastballs and had an ERA under 4.50 that would be a lie. Get it? I know you do. Otherwise we're going to have an awful lot of liars on this site.

I said the content of the post was dishonest. Not the poster. My opinion is that it was not an honest post.

Really disturbing how his fastball doesn't miss any bats.

A #4 pick should have a fast ball that can get out ML hitters. He should be able to throw all FB's and pitch to a 4.50 ERA. Now we are finding out that his FB needs to be spotted and he has to impove his secondary pitches. Fits with all the O's pitchers. And 22 isn't that young for a #4 pick, he's supposed to have exceptional talent.

1. Fastball misses bats when they are not sitting fastball.

2. No starting pitcher throws the same type of fastball, with no movement, 100 percent of the time. Even a 10 percent throw away offering keeps bats of the fastball.

3. 22 is not old for a College pick that contributes to a major league team before his signing anniversary.

Did I explain myself better?

Lets get back on topic here......if Gausman can go for 6 innings, 5 hits, 0 walks and 1 run against the best lineup he will face all season long (because obviously he won't have to face our lineup), then the sky really is the limit for him.

Consistency will tell the tale though. Arrieta, Britton, matusz, several others have all had "that game" as a starter where we thought to ourselves "holy crap, we finally have our stud" only to eventually be disappointed by them never becoming that guy on a consistent basis. Even Tillman, who's been the best of the young guns we've brought up, still struggles on occasion.

We all loved what we saw from KG out there today. We all love his potential. I really truly hope he found something today by realizing his stuff is more than good enough and he doesn't have to "overthrow".

Like others have pointed out, I also noticed he say 94-95 instead of 96-98 against the tigers. I also noticed far fewer pitches left out over the middle of the plate.

Hell, even the one tater he allowed to prince fielder was on the outside part of the plate away from fat boy, he just managed to put a solid swing on it and with his power, in Camden yards, that's all it took.

But other than that he was superb, I think he was only ever really in trouble once or twice after that at most. If you can get 6 innings of 1 run ball against the defending al champs in a park like ours, you've got something good.

Now that we've seen what he's capable of, the question becomes can he repeat it again and again.

Personally, and I'm sure some people will have a conniption for stating this, but is like to see him work one on one with Snyder alone. Every fifth day Snyder can be kg's personal catcher. Almost like ra dickey had his own knuckleball catcher with the mets, snyders lone job should be using his vast knowledge of major league hitters (he's been in the league around a decade) and coming up with a gameplan days in advance with Gausman and working on everything they need to do to make him successful. Going over probable matchups, hitter tendencies, developing a sound gameplan etc.

Wieters knows the other 4 guys and can catch 4 days in a row. Let Snyder handle Gausman and let them build a trust together and maybe we can finally get a guy from the minors to the majors that WE DRAFTED who doesn't crumble under the pressure.

He'd be the first since what, mussina? What we've been doing didnt work. I'm not blaming wieters for matusz, arrieta and Britton struggling in the majors, but he was their catcher. So like I said, maybe take a gamble here and let KG and Snyder work together on their own and maybe we can finally have a Oriole draftee pitcher who will stick.

Why not?

Archived