Small play by Jones tonight that I didn't like

Frobby

6th inning, Longoria on 1st, nobody out. High fly ball to deep CF, but time to get under it. Jones does his "cruise control" thing, catches it going back on his heels, and Longoria tags at 1st and goes to 2B. It might have happened anyway if Jones had sped back and caught the ball in better throwing position, but I'm not sure the runner would have tried if Jones had hurried back and positioned himself better.

Anyone else think this?

The book is out on Adam when it comes to him going for balls in a gap or tagging situations. Players taking extra bases because they know he has a penchant to nonchalant plays. I don't know if Buck has talked to him or not, but it's happening a bit too much for my liking. Adam kind of reminds me of a baseball version of Ed Reed. He's going to do some amazing things and the good outweighs the bad, but we probably have to accept some of these kinds of things as part of the package.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the throw was to the bag, the runner would have been out.

If JJ catches the ball he might have been out anyway!

As for the fly ball, I'm not sure he had any chance to throw him out. Guaranteeing the catch might be the most important thing. Going back towards the wall like that, the training is to find the wall and make the catch. It quite difficult to find the wall, then overrun the ball, which might lead to hitting the wall, in order to get in good catch and throw position.

But...it would be nice to see Adam position himself to catch and throw whenever possible just as a matter of course.

I think the best of the best CF can do this even in tough situations such as going back onto the track towards your glove side. Adam is a good CF, but he isn't among the best of the best.

Jones' defense in CF is making me crazy. Yes, the tag up bothered me. Yes, the Joyce play bothered me. I just don't get it.

He did everything right on the Joyce play. He could have might a slightly better throw, but it had to perfect.

This:

No way Adam had a chance.

We're looking for things to rag on Adam about at this point. He appears so relaxed out there and we misinterpret that IMO.

But...it would be nice to see Adam position himself to catch and throw whenever possible just as a matter of course.

This is what bothers me. Just pay respect to the fundamentals, please. If Jones is going to lead this team, he should lead first by example. That means playing the game the right way, every play. I don't see that yet.

If JJ catches the ball he might have been out anyway!

As for the fly ball, I'm not sure he had any chance to throw him out. Guaranteeing the catch might be the most important thing. Going back towards the wall like that, the training is to find the wall and make the catch. It quite difficult to find the wall, then overrun the ball, which might lead to hitting the wall, in order to get in good catch and throw position.

I think the best of the best CF can do this even in tough situations such as going back onto the track towards your glove side. Adam is a good CF, but he isn't among the best of the best.

If the throw was to the bag, the runner is safe because it is a longer throw. If J.J. catches it clean, I don't think he has time to apply the tag other than the catch-swipe he attempted. Sometimes the shot clock just runs out.

No way Adam had a chance.

We're looking for things to rag on Adam about at this point. He appears so relaxed out there and we misinterpret that IMO.

Love your enthusiasm, but you do know that Orioles can make mistakes and they can do things that need to be tightened up, right? Tell me you at least understand that?

If the throw was to the bag, the runner would have been out.

Or had he sprinted to the ball and made the throw a split second earlier JJ would not have had to swipe the tag so fast and may have gotten the runner. No doubt that's a borderline doubles area either way though.

If the throw was to the bag, the runner is safe because it is a longer throw. If J.J. catches it clean, I don't think he has time to apply the tag other than the catch-swipe he attempted. Sometimes the shot clock just runs out.

Exactly, which is why its hard to ding Jones on this play. He could have thrown him out if everything went perfectly, but its like a 1/10 chance.

Or had he sprinted to the ball and made the throw a split second earlier JJ would not have had to swipe the tag so fast and may have gotten the runner. No doubt that's a borderline doubles area either way though.

I thought he got to the ball well. Could he have made a better break/angle or sprinted a little harder? Maybe, but I don't think it was lack of hustle, it was a tough cut off and he had to ensure making the play over making the fantastic play. For his talent level, this is what we should expect from Jones. Only the very best CF'ers will do it better.

The slowly growing criticism of Adam Jones for seemingly minor and nebulous infractions reminds me of the way Baltimore turned on Eddie Murray between 1984-88.

Sorry, but that's ludicrous. There are threads every day here criticizing almost every player on the team about something. Wieters can't hit lefthanded. Nick has lost a step. Hardy is standing too far from home plate. Etc., etc.

I really like Adam Jones. I'm glad we signed him long-term. But he has some bad habits I'd like to see him correct, and that's why I started this thread.

Archived