Small play by Jones tonight that I didn't like

Frobby

When things aren't going great, Jones tries to do too much, make a great throw or catch to spark things up. He does not play within himself. The way the O's have been hitting or haven't been hitting certainly plays a role. Nick and AJ have been the only consistent hitters thus far. BS talks of pitching and D, neither of those have been game winning. Compound that with poor hitting and the opposition has hit the Trifecta.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a defensive slump for Jones.

Defensive slumps are tricky beasts.

I agree with Tony, he needs a little kick in the pants from Buck then let him play through it.

There is no guarantee McClouth will be better!

These last two misplays stem from his superman complex. trying to do too much, If he hits the cut off man only one R scores on the next play, but he thought Longo was going to come home so he threw a strike to Wieters that would have nailed him had he tried. Dumb. Same with the missed ball in CF, he was trying for the web gem catch and save some runs instead he plays it into a double. He would be a great player all around if he could just learn to play within himself. Unfortunately by the time he grows up enough to do this, he'll be past his prime.

I agree with the post in general. Small nitpick. The throw home almost went over Wieters head.
Wieters was standing 10 feet in front of the plate, had he been in position to make a tag, the throw would have been about chest high.

This is a defensive slump for Jones.

Defensive slumps are tricky beasts.

I agree with Tony, he needs a little kick in the pants from Buck then let him play through it.

There is no guarantee McClouth will be better!

McLouth would be better. He is technically better in the OF. All the things that Jones doesn't do well, McLouth does regularly. McLouth isn't great, but he is above average and takes better routes than Jones. Jones has a stronger arm so we'd see less assists but I'm guessing less mistakes made and less "doubles".

Doesn't matter, the only time we'll see McLouth in CF is to give Jones rest or if he's hurt.

McLouth would be better. He is technically better in the OF. All the things that Jones doesn't do well, McLouth does regularly. McLouth isn't great, but he is above average and takes better routes than Jones. Jones has a stronger arm so we'd see less assists but I'm guessing less mistakes made and less "doubles".

Doesn't matter, the only time we'll see McLouth in CF is to give Jones rest or if he's hurt.

Would love to see that arm in leftfield cutting down runners trying to go from first to third and from second to home.

There is no way to know this. Nate hasn't played CF consistently since 2009 and only some in 2010 and 2011.

Being good in LF does not mean he will be equally good in CF.

And same with Jones, moving to LF might be difficult for him. Less so then moving from LF to CF, but its still a risk.

Maybe Nate should get a few starts in CF to give Jones some rest, that I am on board with. But a full time switch it highly risky. Most likely Jones work his way out of this and plays a league avg CF most of the season.

There is no way to know this. Nate hasn't played CF consistently since 2009 and only some in 2010 and 2011.

Being good in LF does not mean he will be equally good in CF.

And same with Jones, moving to LF might be difficult for him. Less so then moving from LF to CF, but its still a risk.

Maybe Nate should get a few starts in CF to give Jones some rest, that I am on board with. But a full time switch it highly risky. Most likely Jones work his way out of this and plays a league avg CF most of the season.

For the record, I never said Jones should move to LF. I said McLouth is technically a better OF than is Jones. I think most here would agree. Because he hasn't played there regularly doesn't change the fact that he is technically more sound a defender than Jones.

Last year Jones had a rough stretch on defense. He had 8 errors on the year and made 6 of them from May 27th thru June 30th. After that he made only 1 error and from my memory played much better overall. Hopefully he picks it up from here.

He was in front of home plate. Agreed. Just watched it again. At the most he's 5 feet in front of the plate and has to leap to catch the ball.

I agree that throw would have arrived too high even if Wieters had been at home plate. In fact, I'm not even sure Jones intentionally overthrew the cutoff man, he just kind of airmailed the throw in general.

I agree that throw would have arrived too high even if Wieters had been at home plate. In fact, I'm not even sure Jones intentionally overthrew the cutoff man, he just kind of airmailed the throw in general.
It might have been high, but it wouldn't have been too high not to have still nailed Longo. The problem was he was thinking throw to the plate rather than throw to the cut off man. There shouldn't be a difference.

Archived