This JJ Hardy situation needs to be monitored

justice98

Whatever his problem was in the spring has carried over. Really, whatever his problem was last year has carried over, which kinda makes it a trend. Frankly, his decline at the plate has kinda gone unnoticed in the sense that his numbers have declined every year. He had a good year in 2011, not as good a year last year with numbers down across the board, and this year he's off to a terrible start.

His strong defense notwithstanding, I can see this Hardy situation needing to be addressed in some fashion next offseason. Granted, we're not even out of April and a hot month or couple of weeks could breath some life into his bat, but that's why I say it should be monitored.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He pulled everything in 2011. The difference is that he was much better at hitting the mistakes. Pitches have wised up and pound him on the outside until they get two strikes. Then he's succeptible to the inside pitch. He protects on the outside pitch with 2 strikes. He's not really a threat to hurt you on that pitch. He is what he is. The thing I don't get is why he doesn't move closer to the plate so he can at least hook that outside pitch and dare the pitcher to come inside.

Pretty good analysis.

In 2011 he cheated and pulled the ball. But pitchers have really adjusted. I totally agree he needs to change his approach and be happy with some line drives to RF. Once he starts seeing more pitches in, he pick his spots to cheat again.

He did this for a spell in 2012, we saw a period where he was hitting live drives to RF and up the middle. It didn't last and I'm totally baffled by it.

When I brought up the topic of Hardy's offense in the offseason I was assured that he was going to rebound nicely this season. I have full faith in the large number of fellow posters who felt this way and I feel this is just a momentary blip for Hardy.

I don't know that you can call a year plus of the same results a "momentary blip." Especially when you look at his numbers outside of a season or two in MIL. Hardy is what he is, and his struggles are compounded by the fact that our 7-8-9 is basically a black hole. You can afford one hitter like Hardy, but not 3.

I don't know that you can call a year plus of the same results a "momentary blip." Especially when you look at his numbers outside of a season or two in MIL. Hardy is what he is, and his struggles are compounded by the fact that our 7-8-9 is basically a black hole. You can afford one hitter like Hardy, but not 3.

He was kidding.

Whatever his problem was in the spring has carried over. Really, whatever his problem was last year has carried over, which kinda makes it a trend. Frankly, his decline at the plate has kinda gone unnoticed in the sense that his numbers have declined every year. He had a good year in 2011, not as good a year last year with numbers down across the board, and this year he's off to a terrible start.

His strong defense notwithstanding, I can see this Hardy situation needing to be addressed in some fashion next offseason. Granted, we're not even out of April and a hot month or couple of weeks could breath some life into his bat, but that's why I say it should be monitored.

A bit too early for that. IMO

It was an "I told you so" backhanded slap. A regular occurrence.

Any chance we can find this thread. I know I agree with your "slight rebound" and did at the time. I just don't remember "a lot" of people suggesting a great improvement.

It was more then just one thread over the offseason.

Maybe I am misremembering the vehemence of a few posters with the idea that more folks were in disagreement.

Maybe it was the Hardy in the two hole thread? I really have no desire to dig for it but best of luck to you if you choose to.

Hardy's BABIP last season was 21 points below his career average. And a lot of those balls that didn't find grass were at'em balls. He would have been a lot closer to his career average .738 OPS if they had.

But how many of them were at'em balls because the defense shifted on him due to his tendency to pull the ball?

But how many of them were at'em balls because the defense shifted on him due to his tendency to pull the ball?
Who knows? As if he has the ability to hit 'em where they aint. He is what he is. All he can do is get a pitch he can drive and square it up. He did that a lot last season. I expect he'll be a lot closer to his average .738 OPS this season. Why are people more concerned over Hardy than they are for Reimold? Expectations should be a lot higher for him.

Who knows? As if he has the ability to hit 'em where they aint. He is what he is. All he can do is get a pitch he can drive and square it up. He did that a lot last season. I expect he'll be a lot closer to his average .738 OPS this season. Why are people more concerned over Hardy than they are for Reimold? Expectations should be a lot higher for him.

Huh?

If superior positing is causing the drop in babip then there is no reason to assume that Hardy, without making adjustments, will revert back to his career babip.

I am concerned about Reimold but Reimold, to me, is showing a better approach and Hardy, if healthy, is going to get substantially more at bats.

Archived