This JJ Hardy situation needs to be monitored

justice98

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hardy's not looking very good at the plate right now. Like a lot of players, Hardy can be very streaky. For example, last year Hardy had a .569 OPS in April and then .922 in May. Even in his good season of 2011, he really had two hot months and didn't hit very well the rest of the time. So, it's hard to say whether he'll get hot at some point and have a pretty good year, or not. I agree the situation is worth "monitoring" but as a practical matter there's nothing to be done about it right now.

I'm ready to sign Thome to DH,RHP, let Reimold DH, LHP, send Flaherty down and bring up Navarro.

Don't want Thome. Give Canzler a chance to be the full time DH. He is swinging the bat well. Send Pearce through waivers. He will probably make it through at a 700K salary.

Don't want Thome. Give Canzler a chance to be the full time DH. He is swinging the bat well. Send Pearce through waivers. He will probably make it through at a 700K salary.
Canzler doesn't have a history of hitting ML RHP. Thome does, and he's is a great guy to have in the clubhouse. Auxiliary hitting coach.

When I brought up the topic of Hardy's offense in the offseason I was assured that he was going to rebound nicely this season. I have full faith in the large number of fellow posters who felt this way and I feel this is just a momentary blip for Hardy.

Or maybe your concerns were right. At this point, if he does not hit, we just have an excellent defensive short stop and a great mentor for Manny Machado.

Hardy is what he is a GG SS who will hit 20 HR. The problem is not Hardy, it's that we can't afford to have all three of Hardy, Reimold, and Flaherty/Casilla sucking at the back of the order.

Ding ding ding...ill hit up your rep when you stop posting too many good posts. Must spread rep.

Yeah Hardy is a guy who does two things well and everything else poorly. He fields well, and he can hit for power on the right pitch. Everything else, whether it be running the bases or hitting for average or working counts and drawing walks, he's bad at. If he hits 25 HR, you tolerate everything else because he's such a good defensive shortstop.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see a difference. He will go to RF but not until he gets two strikes. I've seen him do it a number of times this year.

I agree he does it with 2 strikes, my point is, he needs to go up there with a plan to look for fastballs away early in the count and go to RF with them. Pitchers know he won't do it making it easy to get him behind the count.

My memory tells me he was doing this in the short period of 2012 that wasn't a slump, which is a small window, but I think he is capable.

I agree he does it with 2 strikes, my point is, he needs to go up there with a plan to look for fastballs away early in the count and go to RF with them. Pitchers know he won't do it making it easy to get him behind the count.

My memory tells me he was doing this in the short period of 2012 that wasn't a slump, which is a small window, but I think he is capable.

If I recall correctly the Twins had him using the whole field. He didn't care for it and when he arrived in Baltimore the O's told him go back to what he did with the Brewers.

If superior positing is causing the drop in babip then there is no reason to assume that Hardy, without making adjustments, will revert back to his career babip.

Ah, poor J.J, he always has been a bit prone to the hazards of superior positing.

One of the reasons Hardy was available for what amounted to a contract dump by the Twins was because the Twins had become exasperated with Hardy's refusal to change his approach at the plate. Hardy has always been a pull hitter who looks for pitches on the inner half of the plate to pull. Until he changes, and I doubt he will, he will continue to be a mistake hitter who will be below average offensive player. Thankfully, he's so good defensively that he makes up for it in the field even though his numbers a bit down this season so far. Hardy is better than a .189 hitter but he's basically a Tony Batista-type bat.

Yes it was. I brought facts to the party and was beaten back by boundless optimism.

I still think Hardy rebounds slightly from his 2012 numbers.

Where did you stand on the "sell high" topic mid last season for Arrieta or last offseason for Tillman? Just curious...

Or maybe on the lack of moves this past offseason? Again, just curious...

Archived