This JJ Hardy situation needs to be monitored

justice98

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd gladly take a Hardy cool down for a pitcher to get hot. ;)

He's looked locked in for a month and Wiets is looking good now. If JJ can hit around .245 - .260 with power I'm a happy man.

I'd still like to see his OBP up at .310 or higher. However, his low OBP is less of a problem batting towards the bottom of the order, and he does have a .354 OBP in his last 23 games (though almost entirely due to his .326 BA in that span).

The swing looks good and Hardy, unlike even in 2011, he's consistently going to RF when he has to. He no longer is in complete pull mode like he had been. I don't know where the OPS winds up, but I think he gets close to .800, maybe even over by the end of the season.

Yep, it doesn't look like he has opposite field HR power (more like gap power), but at least he's keeping the defense honest now and not rolling so many pitches over.

• 2 weeks later...

Still monitoring....Hardy has a 1.393 OPS in June so far...now has been worth 2.5 rWAR roughly 40% of they way through the season...overall OPS up to .792...is leading vote getter for starting AL shortstop for the all star game....has a 1.018 OPS since May 4....

Simply based on output versus expense, I'm wondering where Hardy would rank on best return on investment in Orioles history. Hardy's not perfect, but that extension is proving to be one of the better contracts, extensions or new the Orioles have ever made.

Simply based on output versus expense, I'm wondering where Hardy would rank on best return on investment in Orioles history. Hardy's not perfect, but that extension is proving to be one of the better contracts, extensions or new the Orioles have ever made.

Great contract, and an even better trade. What did we move? Hoey and some other arm equivalent to Hoey?

When I brought up the topic of Hardy's offense in the offseason I was assured that he was going to rebound nicely this season. I have full faith in the large number of fellow posters who felt this way and I feel this is just a momentary blip for Hardy.

Feeling any better now?

Hardy is standing closer to the plate, and his offense has drastically improved.

Last year and the beginning of this year when he was damn near outside the box was one of the most inexplicable things I have seen from a hitter. It was almost painful to watch at times. Seriously, there were balls down the middle of the plate that he would have to fully extend his arms and bend over at the waist to hit.

If he ever gets in that habit again, someone should jump out of the stands, run up to him, and nudge him closer to the plate.

Having said that, Hardy is one of my favorite O's, a hard working, blue collar, 'salt of the team' guy.

Feeling any better now?

I did state, in this very thread, that he would rebound from his 2012 numbers.

I also think that sniping me at the height of one of his hot streaks is about as accurate as the OP freaking out during one of his cold streaks.

I am very pleased that Hardy has stopped trying to pull every pitch thrown to him.

His OBP is still deficient.

Archived