We need a spark

Flacco Machado

Call up Ford and send Dickerson down. If we're going to keep another OF it needs to be an OFer that can hit lefties. Nate and Lew gave us a big spark last year and Nate is still doing his thing this year. This team has a serious problem at DH. Flaherty has no business DH'ing the majors.

This is not what I want but at what point do you all think we will see Thome's name mentioned?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aaaaa. Platoon means McLouth plays vs righthanded pitching and Reimold vs lefthanded pitching.
McLouth looked a lot better than Reimold against the LHP last night. At least he put the ball in play. And he made a couple of plays in LF that Reimold wouldn't have. Reimold's reason to be here is his bat. So far he hasn't had one. Maybe he needs to go on the DL.

As much as I am a Reimold fan, if he isn't hitting he shouldn't get at bats over a McLouth that is hitting.

Even against lefties? Reimold has a career OPS against lefties almost 150 points higher than McLouth. Even if you regress that to typical splits Reimold is ahead by ~100 points of OPS.

I don't buy into the knuckleball, never will. It may work out nice for him in the minors. Devin Jones is a better option than him.
What kind of statement is that? You don't buy into R.A. Dickey, Phil Niekro, Tim Wakfield, Hoyt Wilhelm, and others? I don't get what you mean.

Yea... ummm... what is there to not buy into? Is McCheese suggesting that the thousands of major league wins and long list of knuckleballing All Stars and HOFers were all some sleight of hand?

McLouth looked a lot better than Reimold against the LHP last night. At least he put the ball in play. And he made a couple of plays in LF that Reimold wouldn't have. Reimold's reason to be here is his bat. So far he hasn't had one. Maybe he needs to go on the DL.

McLouth has all of 5 plate appearances against lefties this year. He is 0-5. I don't know what you saw in Mclouth vs lefties but I guarantee you it was not a hit.

Call up Ford and send Dickerson down. If we're going to keep another OF it needs to be an OFer that can hit lefties. Nate and Lew gave us a big spark last year and Nate is still doing his thing this year. This team has a serious problem at DH. Flaherty has no business DH'ing the majors.

Lew hit .183 with a .609 OPS last year.

I think the best option at DH is the guy with the nearly .800 career OPS who's already on the roster, but is scuffling a little.

This is not what I want but at what point do you all think we will see Thome's name mentioned?

That might not be a terrible option, but it does limit the bench to have to carry an exclusive DH who can only hit righties.

McLouth has all of 5 plate appearances against lefties this year. He is 0-5. I don't know what you saw in Mclouth vs lefties but I guarantee you it was not a hit.
What I didn't see in Mclouth last night was 3 K's He put the ball in play, that has some value. And he managed a walk. Reimold did zilch. If Reimold isn't hitting, he has no business in the lineup. Really Reimold has much better career numbers vs LHP than McLouth, but how long can we afford to wait for him to regress to his mean. 2 months? a season?

I miss me some Oriole Magic! I know it's early, but this team constructed as it is now, does not get me excited. I hope by the summer, we've got guys like Schoop, Hoes, Gausman, and Bundy making their debuts for the O's because of outstanding minor league seasons. Maybe, that, coupled with a trade for a big bat at the deadline, a shakeup of the rotation, and the return of Roberts can get things going.

Do we have some "playoff hangover"? Has the hunger or chip on our shoulders faded a bit? Who knows. Just some thoughts going through my head.

So wait a second. Let me get this straight. This team was EXCITING as hell for all of 2012, but now the "pretty much" exact same team does not excite you because we've started off 7-7?????

Oh boy.

Even against lefties? Reimold has a career OPS against lefties almost 150 points higher than McLouth. Even if you regress that to typical splits Reimold is ahead by ~100 points of OPS.

McLouth has the superior glove and I am pessimistic to how Reimold will respond to playing that infrequently. I will agree that the numbers say a slumping Reimold is still a better choice against LHP.

Lew hit .183 with a .609 OPS last year.

I think the best option at DH is the guy with the nearly .800 career OPS who's already on the roster, but is scuffling a little.

That might not be a terrible option, but it does limit the bench to have to carry an exclusive DH who can only hit righties.

I agree, but it would be nice to have that guy who can actually, ya know, HIT, as our designated HITTER.

What I didn't see in Mclouth last night was 3 K's He put the ball in play, that has some value. And he managed a walk. Reimold did zilch. If Reimold isn't hitting, he has no business in the lineup. Really Reimold has much better career numbers vs LHP than McLouth, but how long can we afford to wait for him to regress to his mean. 2 months? a season?

I'd say two months is a pretty good number. Especially when the other option is to put him on waivers and place your faith in McLouth hitting against lefties, or someone like Lew Ford.

For me it's not the record, it's what I see. Markakis , Machado, Davis, and Jones look to be having good seasons at the plate. McLouth looks like the same guy as at last season's end. But Hardy, Reimold, Flaherty, and Wieters look questionable. And we have nothing at DH. Mainly I doin't think we can win consistently with 3 SP who are #3-4's and two squirrels, no matter how ggod the pen is. Our best chance to get a TOR type performance, would be if Jurrjens is healthy. Other wise we aren't likely to trade for that, and I wouldn't expect to get better from Britton or Garcia than I would from Arrieta and Tillman.

I'd say two months is a pretty good number. Especially when the other option is to put him on waivers and place your faith in McLouth hitting against lefties, or someone like Lew Ford.
In a vacuum, maybe but with 3 other back of the order players struggling as well, I don't think we can afford to wait that long. If it was someone like Manny with his youth and potential sure, but Reimold is no Manny. The other option is to pick up a LH bat to DH in platoon with Reimold, and put Piearce on waivers, send down Dickerson, and platoon one of Canzler, or Ford with McLouth until Reimold finds his bat or it's time to give up on him.

In a vacuum, maybe but with 3 other back of the order players struggling as well, I don't think we can afford to wait that long. If it was someone like Manny with his youth and potential sure, but Reimold is no Manny. The other option is to pick up a LH bat to DH in platoon with Reimold, and put Piearce on waivers, send down Dickerson, and platoon one of Canzler, or Ford with McLouth until Reimold finds his bat or it's time to give up on him.

I guess there is a chance that Reimold has suddenly forgotten how to hit. However, all the people "in the know" including our very own Tony Pente believe that if healthy, Nolan is a major league hitter. I can't believe the people ready to be done with him after 14 team games!

I guess there is a chance that Reimold has suddenly forgotten how to hit. However, all the people "in the know" including our very own Tony Pente believe that if healthy, Nolan is a major league hitter. I can't believe the people ready to be done with him after 14 team games!

Well he looks as lost right now as Flaherty, whom we don't expect to hit as well. So if he is not healthy put him on the DL. Right now we can't afford his bat at DH, and we can't afford to drop too far under .500. The league is just too competitive this year. There are no pushovers to fatten up on.

Archived