Pedro Strop Today, 2013 (Pitching)

OFFNY

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly wasnt expecting that from Strop. Comes in and gets rid of Pujols on 3 pitches?! Im far from a knee jerk kinda guy, but with that outing Im almoat fully behind Pedro again. One more like that would probably do it.

Flame awat.

Didn't stay awake to see it, but that looks awfully good. I think his problems are mostly in his head, so if he can just build some confidence and start attacking hitters, he can turn things around.

Didn't stay awake to see it, but that looks awfully good. I think his problems are mostly in his head, so if he can just build some confidence and start attacking hitters, he can turn things around.

He looked filthy. Nothing middle of the plate. Great movement on his pitches. Looked confident, but I guess you have to be down by 5?

Lets see him in late inning pressure situations. On second thought, lets not.

C'mon Roy. Strop was great for us in pressure situations for 4.5 months last year. Buck will nurse him along, and when the right time comes, he'll pitch great in a tight spot. Just wait.

PEDRO STROP O (vs. ANGELS, 5/05)

IP:. 0.67

H:o 0

R:O 0

BB: 1

SO: 0

Pitches: 10 (5 Strikes, 5 Balls)

2013 ERA: 5.73

First three pitches were balls and that was scary. I'm glad he was able to settle down and find his rhythm, though. I feel like he just needs to take a deep breath and throw his stuff. It's funny, Hammel said something the other day: "I had to learn that when I'm not pitching well, it helps to throw softer, not throw harder." (Or something like that). I think that holds true for Strop, also. Maybe he is figuring that out…

I think we all hope he is.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I feel like for the most part pitchers who "figure it out" typically don't figure it out permanently. There are certainly exceptions.....I believe that Tillman has figured out some of his issues, although his appeared to be more mechanical as opposed to mental. I don't think that pitchers like Arrieta and Strop will ever be truly dependable because their mental state at any given time seems to dictate how they approach batters.

Perhaps the best we can hope for with Strop is for him to figure it out enough that he at least becomes a semi-valuable trade chip.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I feel like for the most part pitchers who "figure it out" typically don't figure it out permanently. There are certainly exceptions.....I believe that Tillman has figured out some of his issues, although his appeared to be more mechanical as opposed to mental. I don't think that pitchers like Arrieta and Strop will ever be truly dependable because their mental state at any given time seems to dictate how they approach batters.

Perhaps the best we can hope for with Strop is for him to figure it out enough that he at least becomes a semi-valuable trade chip.

I think that most of the time a pitcher is said to have mental issues he just doesn't have the physical ability to put the ball where he wants to put it enough to be successful.

Thirded. See: Arrieta, Jake.

Remember the Steve Dalkowski story? How Earl figured out that he was mentally not quite all there, and how he was unable to do the 16 different things they wanted him to do. So Earl just told him to throw him fastball all the time, and he had his one minor league season where he didn't look like Nook LaLoosh. Dalkowski just couldn't throw two or three pitches over the plate enough (while trying to hold runners and not balk and everything else) to win. So Earl picked what he could do - throw 100 mph and dare the other team to hit it.

So even when it's "mental" I think it's often the case that the guy just can't handle doing a bunch of different things at a MLB level. It's not that he's sweating and shaking and on the verge of a breakdown. It's more that pitching in the majors is hard.

Archived