Nick's a magician with the bat

Frobby

Guest rochester
Good analogy, but to me he's more like Pete Rose (from only the left side that is). Rod used his wrists much more in his swing. Ugly, but sure worked for him.

Also good... also thought of Ichiro -

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick may be the best contact hitter on the team. He strikes out less per AB than anyone on the team, with the sole exception of Brian Roberts, who didn't strike out at all in 12 ABs. When you put the ball in play, good things happen. This theorem has been proven for a hundred years. I get so sick and tired of hearing how strike outs don't equate to DPs... or whatever the Mark Reynolds believers ascribed to, or however you justify Ks. Put the ball in play. Good things happen. Nick does this. Yes, he's not the 30 HR guy I think we all wanted him to be. But he's a ******* gold glover in RF and when he's healthy ought to hit .300 in his sleep. Perfect in the 2 slot.

What's funny to me about this thread is that there's virtually no difference between the Markakis that people've been complaining about for years and the Markakis we have now. Only real difference is that the talent level has risen around him, and he seems to be filling an appropriate role within an improved lineup (i.e., he doesn't have to be a .300/30/120 guy).

If Nick's current stats were extended over the course of a full season:

.316/.372/.418 (.790 OPS) with 17 HR and 60 RBI.

Basically a modestly improved 2010 version (very slight drop in power, but better average/more hits and a decrease in strikeouts).

EDIT: I should add that, to my knowledge, Frobby was NOT one of the posters who complained about what Nick "is" versus what he "should be." Just saying the sentiment (strongly supported by others) struck me as semi-amusing.

EDIT v.2: I should also add that I was one of the people who, at one point (can't remember if it was last year or the year before) commented on how I had no confidence in Nick when he stepped to the plate.

This is spot-on analysis. Markakis has a career 117 OPS+ and heading into this last game he had a 117 OPS+.

This is spot-on analysis. Markakis has a career 117 OPS+ and heading into this last game he had a 117 OPS+.

Sure, but Nick has mostly been hitting in the leadoff and 2 so so far. Recently in the three. So the extrapolation doesn't really hold. In the three slot I would expect the RBis to go up, as well as the OPS, with Jones (and Davis and Wieters) consistently hitting behind him. Ks go down even more, is my guess. Walks go up. So do hits.

BTW, George Brett was the best #3 hitter in my lifetime. Nick won't be that. But it would great if he was...

Count me among those who just felt like nick was gonna walk it off when he came to the plate. He had a great approach, watched two hittable pitches just to get a feel for the guys release and arm angle and then just went with one the opposite way, didnt try to do to much, just an exemplary piece of hitting by one of the games best professional hitters right now.

He'll probably never win a batting title but every year he's steady and clutch. Probably the most underrated orioles of the past decade (yes I know he hasn't been here a full decade, you know what I mean though). The guy gives all of us fans confidence when he comes to the dish......and while I hate him, it's almost a jeteresq feel about it, like he's not going to overwhelm anyone but he's going to do exactly what it takes to get the job done and once again tonight, that's what he did.

Love me some Nick Markakis!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I totally thought Markakis was better than Henderson in his prime. Gold Glover, durable, good OBP, decent power and decent base runner (probably a future HOFer if he can stay healthy). I'll take it.
Really? I don't think so.
3,000 hits usually get's you in the HOF unless your last name is Rose or Palmeiro. We'll see.

Everyone knows what a huge Nick fan I am, but he's going to have to pick up the pace to get 3,000 hits or make the Hall of Fame. If he had no decline at all and stayed 100% healthy, he'd reach 3,000 hits at age 38. Chances are good that, like a lot of good players, he falls somewhere short of that, and without the 3,000 hit credential he's not getting into the Hall. I think Nick is more likely to wind up in the category of Harold Baines or Johnny Damon, good hitters who weren't quite Hall-worthy.

It was a nice hit by Nick on a ball off the plate. I think it was meant to be a waste pitch. It was a poor selection for a waste pitch. Nick can flick that to left most of the time, like Boggs or like Jeter to right. The new Nick can play differently because of the surrounding cast. He doesn't have to do it all anymore, I think it has allowed AJ to be more comfortable at the plate too. A nice MOO protects AJ pretty well as long as he has some plate discipline. HOF for Nick? I don't see it, but he still relatively young and could be a close call He does a lot of things right but is not "spectacular" just steady.

What's funny to me about this thread is that there's virtually no difference between the Markakis that people've been complaining about for years and the Markakis we have now. Only real difference is that the talent level has risen around him, and he seems to be filling an appropriate role within an improved lineup (i.e., he doesn't have to be a .300/30/120 guy).

If Nick's current stats were extended over the course of a full season:

.316/.372/.418 (.790 OPS) with 17 HR and 60 RBI.

Basically a modestly improved 2010 version (very slight drop in power, but better average/more hits and a decrease in power.

I think people have adjusted their expectations for Nick. His career arc the first three years suggested he'd be a superstar, and people were disappointed when that didn't pan out. Then his career arc the next three years suggested a player who was in decline prematurely. So, when he produced something in between in 2012, people were happy with it. Also, when he was out of the lineup last June and the first half of July, he was badly missed, and people really appreciated him more when he returned (it didn't hurt that he was pretty hot for the next 6-7 weeks before his season ended).

Bottom line, Nick's a very reliable player you can always count on to come to the plate with a plan, no matter the pitcher or the situation. That's a rarity and folks have come to appreciate that.

One of the many things my business partner and I used to debate heatedly was Nick versus Carl Crawford. He has won thousands of dollars in fantasy leagues and used to run his own betting line. The other similar running argument was Joe Flacco versus almost anybody. "He'll never take you to a Super Bowl. Quarterbacks from small schools never catch up to the speed of the game." We haven't had either argument for a while. And I don't think his fantasy teams have done as well the past few years. The betting line is out of business.

Now that I think about, Nick and Joe are similar in a few ways. Largely unheralded first round draft picks who went to small schools. Intense competitors with low key temperaments. Thick, bushy eyebrows. Under-appreciated for years. Quiet leaders who play their games very, very well.

Who knows? If that fat lefthander from the MFY hadn't plunked Nick, we might have two world champions in Baltimore right now.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I totally thought Markakis was better than Henderson in his prime. Gold Glover, durable, good OBP, decent power and decent base runner (probably a future HOFer if he can stay healthy). I'll take it.
Everyone knows what a huge Nick fan I am, but he's going to have to pick up the pace to get 3,000 hits or make the Hall of Fame. If he had no decline at all and stayed 100% healthy, he'd reach 3,000 hits at age 38. Chances are good that, like a lot of good players, he falls somewhere short of that, and without the 3,000 hit credential he's not getting into the Hall. I think Nick is more likely to wind up in the category of Harold Baines or Johnny Damon, good hitters who weren't quite Hall-worthy.

By Bill James' Favorite Toy (there's a version on ESPN.com) Nick has somewhere between a 15-25% chance of getting to 3000 hits, depending on some assumptions you make.

I'm not sure he gets in even if he gets to 3000. The Expansion Time Bomb means HOF standards will have to go up, since it doesn't seem like anyone really wants to start inducting twice as many players. And PEDs will obscure or obliterate old standards, because in a few years we will have guys with well over 3000 hits, 500 homers, 300 wins, etc who are out, while guys with 170 wins or 1500 hits are in. That may serve as an excuse to not induct guys with Johnny Damon's career even if they get to a milestone number.

This is going to seem like a strange comp on its face, but Nick might be the new Lou Brock. Brock never had a massive offensive season. Sure, he had a ton of steals, but since he was caught 307 times his running didn't add a lot to his overall value. But probably because of the perceived value of his speed he was able to play until he was almost 40 and he got 700 PA a year, so he just cleared 3000 hits. That may be how Nick would have to do it - play 20 years and get 175-200 hits almost every single year. And I think in 2025 that might not be enough.

I think his best bet is to have a late career surge like Dwight Evans (another guy he has quite a lot in common with) and develop the backstory that pushes his vote total over the top. That probably will depend on the success of his teams as much as anything.

Here are my quick feelings on Nick.

His stats aren't all that impressive from a Fantasy Baseball perspective, but I'll take him on my REAL baseball team every day of the week and twice on Saturday doubleheaders! He has such an unselfish approach to the game that is not common in today's sport. He chokes up and just goes with the pitch. His approach is a thing of beauty.

One more thing. Buck sees EVERYTHING! Had it not been for Nolan Reimold hustling to second last night, that error would have been an easy 6-4 fielders choice and Nick never gets a chance to win it! Great job by my boy Nolan!

Archived