Josh Stinson in Baltimore Will start Wed game.

BaltimoreO's

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Claimed off waivers from Oakland at the beginning of the month.

Seems like he was in "waiver" hell recently.....Claimed, reassigned, released, claimed, reassigned, released, etc. Good thing - as a roster player he finally earns the minimum ($500,000) now, as opposed the the $250 a week usual minor league wages. (Imagine the life style changes!) :)

Had some success @ AA level starting....11-9 w/3.16 ERA last year.....

145 innings w/167 hits; 91K's 71 BB's.... but 12 HBP and 11 WP. :mad: Oh well, short term success maybe if he can throw strikes.... Below is his Bio:

(from various sources)

Joshua "Josh" Randall Stinson (born March 14, 1988) is a Major League Baseball pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles.

Career

Prior to playing professionally,Stinson attended Northwood High School [more of a football/soccer School] in Shreveport, Louisiana. He was then drafted by the New York Mets in the 37th round of the 2006 amateur draft and began his professional career that season..... [NorthWood, in Football, has won 15 sectional championships, 9 regional championships, 6 semi-state championships, and one state championship. NorthWood's boys' soccer team has captured Sectional Championships in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010. In 2007 the boys soccer team made it to the final 32 teams to still compete in the State playoffs.]

He split 2006 between the GCL Mets and the Hagerstown Suns, going a combined 1-3 with a 1.79 ERA in 12 games (seven starts). In 2007, he pitched for the Savannah Sand Gnats and went 3-11 with a 4.86 ERA in 26 games (21 starts). With the Sand Gnats and St. Lucie Mets in 2008, Stinson posted a record of 3-8 with a 3.96 ERA in 28 games (eight starts). In 2009, he pitched for the Sand Gnats and St. Lucie Mets and went 5-3 with a 2.86 ERA in 50 games (only one start). He pitched for the Binghamton Mets and the Buffalo Bisons in 2010, going 11-5 with a 3.90 ERA in 36 games (18 starts). :scratchchinhmm:

Stinson made his major league debut on September 2, 2011 for the Mets against the Washington Nationals. He pitched 1 ⅔ innings, giving up two hits and no runs. He also drew a walk in his first plate appearance. :clap3::clap3:

The Mets waived Stinson at the end of 2012 spring training, and he was claimed by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Stinson was claimed off waivers by the Oakland Athletics on March 29, 2013.

On April 4, 2013, the Baltimore Orioles claimed Stinson off waivers from the Oakland Athletics

Really sad, with all the talk of our pitching depth we have to give a start to a guy wth a career >1.5 WHIP at AAA

And we signed zero veteran depth because???

This is how long losing streaks get started. Dickey, Stinson, and a 10 game west coast road trip.

If Jurrjens and Garcia aren't veteran depth then I don't know what is. I don't really understand the reason Stinson was promoted over Britton/Garcia/Jurrjens, but I assume it's because DD feels they aren't ready.

Really sad, with all the talk of our pitching depth we have to give a start to a guy wth a career >1.5 WHIP at AAA

And we signed zero veteran depth because???

This is how long losing streaks get started. Dickey, Stinson, and a 10 game west coast road trip.

Or it's because the day that we need him, he was the best option. Would Saunders look better on this team right now, sure, but Duquette wanted to give Arrieta/Matusz/Britton one more chance to show they can be major league starters. He signed Jurjenns, Garcia and acquired Stinson as depth and has Wada and Gausman as possible mid-season replacements. On top of it all, he had Steve Johnson who if he didn't get hurt, may have been the 5th starter by now. That's not the worse depth to have.

Our only hope is that Josh can do to the Jays, what random minor league starters do to us the first time we see them. Hopefully, he can keep them off balance for 6 innings. I wouldn't be opposed to leaving him out there if he's getting shelled, just to save some arms for the road trip.

Our only hope is that Josh can do to the Jays, what random minor league starters do to us the first time we see them. Hopefully, he can keep them off balance for 6 innings. I wouldn't be opposed to leaving him out there if he's getting shelled, just to save some arms for the road trip.

It depends on how our bats are looking, but yeah if we look as inept as we did after the 2nd last night that's a reasonable strategy.

Or it's because the day that we need him, he was the best option. Would Saunders look better on this team right now, sure, but Duquette wanted to give Arrieta/Matusz/Britton one more chance to show they can be major league starters. He signed Jurjenns, Garcia and acquired Stinson as depth and has Wada and Gausman as possible mid-season replacements. On top of it all, he had Steve Johnson who if he didn't get hurt, may have been the 5th starter by now. That's not the worse depth to have.

Here is my take - Stinson(a bit of a journeyman), Britton(who hasnt looked the same as he was early on since before the injury), Jurjenns(meh)... While I know that Steve Johnson has been injured, what he showed us last year to me warrants a legit shot at the 5th spot. I am still one of those guys that doesnt want to give up on Arrieta yet, but he still isnt "fixed". So if this is just a spot start for Stinson(its up to him to make the best of it) - I want Steve Johnson in that 5th spot with at least 4 starts. Just my .02

Archived