We shouldn't take Jim Johnson for granted

Frobby

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I absolutely loved how Joe Angel called the final strike of the game today, so evocative of how Johnson records his saves.

(Paraphrasing here): "And the Blue Jays are down to their last strike. [din of crowd slowly builds] The fans are coming to their feet now - the announced attendance is 13,272, but they sound like 25 thousand right now and they want a strike-out. You'll be able to tell here if it's a strike just by how the crowd reacts. He's coming to set... and the pitch... [pop of the catcher's mitt and immediately the crowd explodes in applause and cheers met while Joe Angel sits back silently for a few moments] ... and there it is! A swing and a miss!"

Just absolutely all-business, nothing flashy, just results.

That was as good as it gets. Joe. Angel.

Do most take him for granted? I love JJ. He's one of my favorite birds. I still wish we'd let him start and I know all the arguments against it. He could throw his fastball at 92 all game, and nothing else, and we could play a 9 man infield.

I think the point was that we're so used to what he does, that we could very well be taking him for granted. In the sense that if he was removed for whatever reason we'd be shocked at the drop off in production.

I absolutely loved how Joe Angel called the final strike of the game today, so evocative of how Johnson records his saves.

(Paraphrasing here): "And the Blue Jays are down to their last strike. [din of crowd slowly builds] The fans are coming to their feet now - the announced attendance is 13,272, but they sound like 25 thousand right now and they want a strike-out. You'll be able to tell here if it's a strike just by how the crowd reacts. He's coming to set... and the pitch... [pop of the catcher's mitt and immediately the crowd explodes in applause and cheers met while Joe Angel sits back silently for a few moments] ... and there it is! A swing and a miss!"

Being there, that's not a bad description of how we loud we got for that final pitch. That place erupted on the K. I was pretty surprised at the level based upon how relatively empty the house was.

I think the point was that we're so used to what he does, that we could very well be taking him for granted. In the sense that if he was removed for whatever reason we'd be shocked at the drop off in production.

It doesn't seem as if kind and gentle folks of the Orioles Hangout would fail to understand how valuable JJ is. Perhaps on the average sports board, or at the tacohangout, but not here. No matter, I agree with what Frobby is saying, as I typically do....JJ is incredibly valuable and I would be sick to see him anywhere else.

Matusz postgame interview: Hunter: Brian, what are you thinking when you see Jim Johnson come on in the ninth.

Matusz: I think I'm about to see a save. (or something to that effect)

Why do they rarely interview Jim Johnson? Does he dislike interviews?

Interviews seem rare. But wildcard posted this ST interview from the radio. JJ is a hoot!

Jim Johnson plays a big role for the O's on and out the field. In this interview with Scott and Jeremy we really get to hear a well rounded Jim. Glad he is on the O's side. Sounds like a real confident guy that sets the tone for the pen crowd. Love the "win them by two" comment.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/03/06/orioles-jim-johnson-talks-spring-training/

71_petty__01968_zoom.jpg

426hemi

I was at the game, but heard that call on the radio highlights on my way home. One of the best game ending calls I have ever heard. Good thing JJ threw a strike!

Frobby's right, JJ provides a certain piece of mind when he enters a game. He's obviously come up big in one run games the last two seasons. He's filthy, major league hitters have a difficult time squaring up on this guy. IMO, I'd love to see him have a Trevor Hoffman type ride with the Orioles.

I hate Hate HATE the save stat and how it is the only statistical definition in sports that determines a player's use.

That said, JJ is just a damn fine relief pitcher - no matter what situation he would be thrust into. On top of that, his effectiveness in his role allows Buck to use O'Day & Matusz (2 guys who might be converted to "closers" in past Oriole bullpens) flexibly in the 6th-8th.

Closers are overrated until you don't have one. I'm sure Jim Leyland and Mike Scioscia would love to have him.

Typically, if you're having issues with your closer, your bullpen in general is a mess. Angels might be an exception to that so far, but my guess is stats will even out over time.

I have and will continue to believe that the Orioles should be looking to trade JJ

however he has been so good that I admit the trade would be difficult to have a clear cut win.

With the Orioles limited payroll we will get to the point where we have to choose between JJ and say a contract extension for Hammel, or Chen and that will be a tough situation.

I've been on the "trade JJ at his highest value" road for a while now.

For the first time in a while, tonight I began to question that conviction. JJ really is pretty high up on list of most valuable assets to the team.

I am glad the O's have him. I have not understood trading someone that can't be replaced that easily.

Archived