We shouldn't take Jim Johnson for granted

Frobby

JJ is one of the anchors of the team, no doubt and moving Manny over would create a major hole at 3rd that Norfolk isn't ready to fill anyway. However, JJ needs to crawl north of the Mendoza line again...I mean they're already carrying Flahrety.

Wait what?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love me some JJ. When he is on (like he is at the moment) he is just fun to watch. Yeah he might not have the K rates of a prototypical closer, but man is he good at doing it his way, knowing how he is going to get guys out, and executing. And man are that hook and change are nasty (not even mentioning that heavy fastball he throws). I think he is next on the player jersey list for me and I hope he is around for a long long time.

Very much agree. He's lights out. Glad he's worked out. I remember seeing his debut at OPACY when he still started. He's come a long way since then. I think while closers may be overrated that they've in a way become underrated. I know I'd rather have Johnson out there in the 9th than anyone else so I really don't think it's as simple as people make it out to be. JJ's fun to watch too. He's not your fireballer type closer but he's quick and keeps the ball in the park.

I am glad the O's have him. I have not understood trading someone that can't be replaced that easily.

The argument for those on my side has always been that you CAN replace him easily. What is helping lean me the other direction is brief fear that perhaps he really is irreplaceable (like a Rivera). There are very very few closers that reach the irreplaceable status and most only reach and hold it for a few brief years. As always, Rivera is the exception. Trading someone who is irreplaceable now (but probably won't be in 3-4 years) for a key building block is how franchises win consecutive division titles.

Does he surpass last years save total?

Probably not, but only because I expect the run differential to be up and "one run games" to be scarcer. That doesn't mean he has significantly fewer appearances or numbers... just fewer situations.

I definitely love me some Johnson (have fun with that one).

That said, I ultimately want to deal him, probably in the off-season due to our hopes of contending, because I don't want 10% of our payroll going to a closer who, as good as he's been, is still just as probable to break down in a couple of years, rather than keep this up.

I LOVED the arguments last year of those who said "closers are overrated! Trade JJ and just put Strop at closer". Then when Strop started to do awful at the end of the year they said "oh no, I meant put O'Day at closer". Fact is that Johnson is the best closer in the league, and having him as our closer allows the rest of our strong bullpen arms stay in the role they are best at. And in my opinion, our bullpen is the main reason we win, and the strongest part of our team. JJ deserves to get paid.

The argument for those on my side has always been that you CAN replace him easily. What is helping lean me the other direction is brief fear that perhaps he really is irreplaceable (like a Rivera). There are very very few closers that reach the irreplaceable status and most only reach and hold it for a few brief years. As always, Rivera is the exception. Trading someone who is irreplaceable now (but probably won't be in 3-4 years) for a key building block is how franchises win consecutive division titles.

This is all well and good, but it's impossible for us to trade JJ unless we can 1) get an absolute stud prospect (which might not be enough) AND 2) replace him internally.

JJ is incredibly important for the 2013 Orioles. The 2013 Orioles want to win the World Series. If you take JJ away, you absolutely have to upgrade somewhere else and probably also have to add a great bullpen piece.

I could imagine this happening if we let Gausman be our David Price circa his rookie year. If Gausman (with his equally incredibly FB/CH combo) can become a temporary rock in our bullpen, you could theoretically afford to trade JJ. Still, I doubt we ever get the value out of him that he's worth, so the liklihood seems miniscule to me.

The second pitch to Colby Rasmus (a breaking ball) was one of the best pitches I've seen in a long time. Elicited a "wow" from Palmer and I had been in the other room for a brief moment, after seeing us close it out had to rewind to see what he was talking about. Wow is right! Anyone got a GIF?

Rivera missed the entire 2012 season, and the Yankess won 95 games with no problem replacing him at closer (Soriano)

I've been pretty amazed by Johnson. For most of last year I thought he was way over rated. I didn't see many games last year and formed my opinion largely based off of box scores and seeing a few games here and there during the season. I bought the mlb.tv package this year and wow, his stuff has been incredibly good. The nasty 95 MPH sinking fastball he threw last night was amazing. Johnson is very impressive.

Archived