We shouldn't take Jim Johnson for granted

Frobby

That's a really good point.

Because the one things the Marlins love to do is make their highest paid player a reliever, especially when they're on pace to win 60 games.

I'm sure adding JJ makes a ton of sense for them.

Wasn't Heath bell their highest paid player before they unloaded him to Arizona?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that JJ's value now transends his pitching line. It's psychological, it's about the team and Buck's confidence when he's warming up. He makes the Orioles an 8 inning team and when DOD is right, they are a 7 inning team. How do you value that? How did the Yankess value Mariano for all those years - more than just $. But if JJ is going to be

dealt, he has to go to the NL. *pitches 2 pennies*

• 1 month later...

Johnson has it going pretty well again.

I'm glad that Showalter stuck with him through the rough times.

Indeed. Ain't the beer cold.

I hope we'll be able to say the same thing as above but replacing "Johnson" with "Strop" by August or September. It would be huge to be able to promote Strop from mop-up to 7th inning stud, adding another potent arm to the already-potent Hunter, O'Day, Johnson combo. If Strop were playing as well this year as last, he could come in with runners on base and 1 out, hold the line, and pick up a pitch-inefficient starter in the middle of a winnable game, which isn't exactly an uncommon occurrence for our SPs this year (let's face it, they are not consistently going nearly deep enough to keep this bullpen healthy and effective all season). Really hoping that Jim can be the example for Strop to follow: knock off the head case stuff and just get out there and pitch your best stuff at them.

I wish there were no rough times.

Me too. In fact, I wish our starting pitchers almost always went deep into games, our offense almost always scored 5 or more runs, the rest of the bullpen besides Johnson never fell apart, and that our record was 57-13.

Guest rochester
Ten saves in a row since his rough patch. Overall, his save percentage is at 86% this year, which is pretty much exactly average for a closer. So, heading back to the above average range, we hope.

My confidence is back....

Archived