Is Jones overrated Defensively?

Orioles2012

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of getting embarrassing now. You wonder if he can catch anything that isn't a can of corn. First he doesn't put down the glove enough. Next time he over extends it. He's glove challenged.

I realize you said this in the moment, but he made a pretty great catch the other day.. He's average. Nothing more. But his bat carries.

I wonder if he is having a problem with his eyes? That's the third ball this year that's hit him off the bottom of his glove like that.

I wondered the same thing, though that would seemingly affect his hitting as well. It seems like he's over-running the ball a bit, just not watching it all the way in.

Always thought he was overrated defensively. He doesn't go all out. He misjudges balls. He is basically nonchalant, as is demonstrated by him blowing bubbles while catching the ball. I remember I started a thread on that very subject and got lambasted. The truth is that it demonstrates his lackadasical effort.

No, not truth. It's your opinion, which is likely misguided.

I wonder if he is having a problem with his eyes? That's the third ball this year that's hit him off the bottom of his glove like that.

Yeah, he does have a problem with his eyes. There's a big bubble there in front of them a second or two before he tries to catch it. All three balls you mentioned this year were like that.

No, not truth. It's your opinion, which is likely misguided.

So you are saying that his effort is not loose? How would you describe it?

He's way too laid-back out there. He could've easily ran harder or diven to catch that liner by Morales. Instead he is all blase, coasting to balls and dropping them.

Even when he catches the ball, Jones look terrible right now. He needs to quit trying to get to the spot at the exact time the ball does. Get there first, get in position and make the catch.

So you are saying that his effort is not loose? How would you describe it?

He's way too laid-back out there. He could've easily ran harder or diven to catch that liner by Morales. Instead he is all blase, coasting to balls and dropping them.

He got an awful read on it. He started back for some reason.

The worst was the way he kept looking around during the pitch after the second drop, trying to see who was looking at him.

Even when he catches the ball, Jones look terrible right now. He needs to quit trying to get to the spot at the exact time the ball does. Get there first, get in position and make the catch.

Wow, I could have wrote that post myself. Exactly Bill.

The problem is, is that trying to get to the spot the exact same time the ball does is precisely how any player tracks a fly ball. It is not being lazy or aloof, its how the human brain and eyes figure out where the ball is going to go. Even on a ball hit right at someone, they will constantly move and adjust for just this reason. Here's an article that details this:

http:// http://www.livescience.com/3445-baseball-players-catch-fly-balls.html

No - most commentators and fans I speak to have it in perspective. He's a very solid defender - and his offense adds to his overall sheen. He's a GREAT player, overall, which is what helps with the GG voting, etc. That's always been the case. Many gold glovers have not been the best defenders at their positions through the years.

Archived