Is Jones overrated Defensively?

Orioles2012

So you are saying that his effort is not loose? How would you describe it?

He's way too laid-back out there. He could've easily ran harder or diven to catch that liner by Morales. Instead he is all blase, coasting to balls and dropping them.

I think his level of effort is fine. He's misplaying the ball by attempting to catch the ball a) on the run and b) to the side. He winds up reaching back for the ball and he can't see it hit the mitt. He's played a couple of balls a little differently since the error, turning his body more toward home plate as it gets to him.

I see this as a technique problem; a bad habit. It doesn't mean he isn't trying.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No - most commentators and fans I speak to have it in perspective. He's a very solid defender - and his offense adds to his overall sheen. He's a GREAT player, overall, which is what helps with the GG voting, etc. That's always been the case. Many gold glovers have not been the best defenders at their positions through the years.

I always felt he was solid up until the Yankees drop in the playoffs last year. Jones has got the yips or something. But he also doesnt give 100% chasing these balls either.

Wayne Kirby's famous last words last Saturday after a dropped Jones fly ball:

"That's' the last missed ball you are going to see. I know it," Kirby said. "That's the last one you're gonna see for a long time."

Well, maybe just a few more.

The problem is, is that trying to get to the spot the exact same time the ball does is precisely how any player tracks a fly ball. It is not being lazy or aloof, its how the human brain and eyes figure out where the ball is going to go. Even on a ball hit right at someone, they will constantly move and adjust for just this reason. Here's an article that details this:

http:// http://www.livescience.com/3445-baseball-players-catch-fly-balls.html

Plenty of players are camped under fly balls waiting for them to come down. Adam, not so much.

The problem is, is that trying to get to the spot the exact same time the ball does is precisely how any player tracks a fly ball. It is not being lazy or aloof, its how the human brain and eyes figure out where the ball is going to go. Even on a ball hit right at someone, they will constantly move and adjust for just this reason. Here's an article that details this:

http:// http://www.livescience.com/3445-baseball-players-catch-fly-balls.html

Interesting article. That said I really don't think we're talking guys sprinting to an exact spot and waiting for it. It's a bit more nuanced than that. More to an area while realizing they still have to track the ball and adjust. I suppose integral to that is the read and the route. Neither of which Jones seems to do particularly well. Part of that is also being in better position to not only catch the ball, but also be in better position to throw the ball after catching it. If you watch Mclouth and Markakis (particularly on balls with moderate difficulty) I think you'll be able to pick up the differences.

That fly ball is a routine catch for the majority of the centerfielders in the Majors, crashing into the wall or not.

Yep and if he taken a proper angle/route on the ball, there would have been no reason to hit the wall.

Maybe his amazing range is allowing him to have a chance on balls other center fielders would not?

Objectively, he doesn't have amazing range as compared to other CF's. The two primary advanced defensive metrics (DRS and UZR) have consistently rated him below average to well below average in this category over the past several years.

Archived