Astros & Marlins Ruining MLB

Rene88

As we get closer to the end of May, I thought I'd bump this thread to comment on the horribleness that is the 2013 Miami Marlins.

After today's loss to the Rays, they have ridden an 8 game losing streak to a record of 13 - 40. That's a 24.5% winning percentage. And no, that's not a typo. They lose three-quarters of the games they play.

For perspective on how bad this is, if they continue on this pace for the full season, they'll finish with a record of either 39-123 or 40-122. By winning percentage this would make them the 4th worst team in MLB history, putting them solidly in between the 1916 Philadelphia Athletics (36 - 117, 23.5% WP) and the 1935 Boston Braves (38 - 115, 24.8% WP). A historically bad team and a terrible owner... what a sad time to be a Marlin fan.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For perspective on how bad this is, if they continue on this pace for the full season, they'll finish with a record of either 39-123 or 40-122. By winning percentage this would make them the 4th worst team in MLB history, putting them solidly in between the 1916 Philadelphia Athletics (36 - 117, 23.5% WP) and the 1935 Boston Braves (38 - 115, 24.8% WP). A historically bad team and a terrible owner... what a sad time to be a Marlin fan.

The '16 A's were one of Connie Mack's... I don't know... temper tantrums. The Federal League came in and drove up salaries and Mack was mad at that and the fact that he was upset in the '14 World Series by the Miracle Braves. So he sold off everybody for peanuts and fielded a team of mostly minor leaguers, amateurs pitchers, and a geriatric Nap Lajoie.

The '35 Braves were one of the most inexplicably bad teams of all time. Their winning percentages from '33-38 were: .539, .517, .248, .461, .520, .507. Their manager over most of that time was HOFer Bill McKechnie, and the last year he was replaced by HOFer Casey Stengel. They were literally a .500+ team, a marginal contender, and one year in the middle of that, out of the blue, they won 38 games. There has to be some kind of backstory there. Wally Berger was a nearly 6-win player for the '35 Braves - the rest of the team combined for about 1 rWAR.

It is not June yet, and the Marlins are 20 games back...of the wild card.

I had thought the Astros would make a run at worst record in the 162 game era this year, but I may have overestimated the Marlins.

The Miami Marlins have scored 145 runs in 54 games. The Baltimore Orioles have scored 271 runs in 54 games.

So if the Orioles all got abducted by aliens tomorrow and couldn't play another game this season, the Marlins still wouldn't catch up to them in runs scored until about the All Star Break.

Or to put it another way, if the Marlins had been given five outs in every inning so far this year, they still wouldn't have scored as many runs as the Orioles have with three outs per inning.

Or to put it another way, the Marlins have crossed home plate less times than Adam Jones, Nate McLouth, Manny Machado, and Nick Markakis put together. Yes, the entire Marlins team has scored less runs than the Orioles' 2nd-5th best run scorers, as that list above doesn't even include the Orioles' leading scorer in Chris Davis.

Or to put it one last way, the current Marlins are almost as bad at hitting baseballs as their front office is at human relations and marketing.

So, if the Orioles all got abducted by aliens tomorrow and couldn't play another game this season, the Marlins still wouldn't catch up to them in runs scored until about the All-Star Break.

Actually, if that happened, we would just promote 25 players from our AAA, AA, and Advanced-A teams to come up and play for the major league club, and they still probably wouldn't catch us by season's end.

It's funny that folks want to pick on the Marlins, but they'd be in much the same spot if they had kept their high priced guys and suffered through their injuries and mediocrity this season. Josh Johnson has been hurt and put up an ERA over 6.5, Buehrle's ERA is over 5.5, Reyes has played in 10 games and Bonafacio has a .588 ops.

I understand the bad blood over the new ballpark and the low payroll, but I think the management made the right moves last offseason - moves that will hasten the arrival of the next competitive Marlins team much sooner than if the club had been kept intact.

Florida is looking at high draft picks for the next few years and is/will be developing an exceptionally strong base of prospects from which to construct their next competitive team - besides retaining the ability to add talent from such a low payroll base.

It's funny that folks want to pick on the Marlins, but they'd be in much the same spot if they had kept their high priced guys and suffered through their injuries and mediocrity this season. Josh Johnson has been hurt and put up an ERA over 6.5, Buehrle's ERA is over 5.5, Reyes has played in 10 games and Bonafacio has a .588 ops.

I understand the bad blood over the new ballpark and the low payroll, but I think the management made the right moves last offseason - moves that will hasten the arrival of the next competitive Marlins team much sooner than if the club had been kept intact.

Florida is looking at high draft picks for the next few years and is/will be developing an exceptionally strong base of prospects from which to construct their next competitive team - besides retaining the ability to add talent from such a low payroll base.

First off they separated a man and his dog, that is never cool.

From what I have read the experts were universally underwhelmed by the return the Marlins received for their players. If the owner wasn't so eager to maximize profits they could have done a better job in preparing the team for the future.

No matter what they do they'll next be truly competitive 3-8 years after Loria sells to a non-evil owner.

Archived