This game is all on Buck

Nicks124

How huge would having Ayala been? Having a 3rd LHP in the bullpen hurt us today when you consider how terrible our RHPs are out there outside of O'Day and JJ. The bullpen is short an effective RHP, period.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck played this game like he wanted to lose it.

Left Gonzalez in much too long. Didn't warm up anyone until it was too late.

Left Matusz in to face a righty...who happens to be the best player on their team.

Put Strop in a tie game...left him in for the 10th.

So he left Matusz in to long and also he let Pedro pitch in the 9th and 10th. Hmm so what was your suggesting. Matusz out Pedro out. Mabe you wanted Davis in there.

If we are concerned with Johnson's overuse, and it's right to be concerned, then why did Buck use him in the 9th of a 7-3 game yesterday? I know Strop is completely unreliable but we have to be more judicious with when J.J. pitches. Put Hunter in, anybody. I usually don't like to blame the manager because it's the players who execute, but every move Buck made today backfired. And it was beyond obvious that Gonzalez had lost the plot in the 6th. Buck waited too long and allowed Oakland back into this thing.

I don't see how this one is on Buck. Not having JJ available really screwed things up. The only think I might have done differently is bring in Hunter instead of Strop. Not that I have faith in Hunter in a close ball game, but I have zero confidence in Strop right now. Either way, Buck didn't allow two two-run homers. I completely supported leaving Matusz in for the 9th. Matusz just didn't do the job. It happens.

I disagree - this one is not on Buck, it def lands on the shoulders of Strope. If he was effective yesterday, than probably would have used Johnson in the 9th today - Strope needs to get sent down, dude is LOST

He's bringing the team down. period

McFarland wasn't available?

Britton wasn't available?

Hunter wasn't available?

All multi inning guys.

Britton is going tomorrow.

If he puts Homerun Hunter and he gives up the homer in the 9th, you guys would be complaining about that. Not every game is going to be executed perfectly, these players are human. 3 out 4...another series win. Man this team has problems!

MG should have been pulled...there is no reason he should of stayed in with runners on first and second after giving up 2. You and I both saw that he lost control of all of his pitches. Matuz should not have pitched anymore than one inning and you also don't put Strop in that situation to "gain his confidence". JJ should have been in there in the 9th inning regardless of him being short on rest. All of these games matter and I am extremely bitter after giving up a 5-0 lead and losing this ball game....its on Buck.

You are right they matter but one game means a lot less then hm comming in and then having arm fatigue and having to go on DL for 15 days.

If we are concerned with Johnson's overuse, and it's right to be concerned, then why did Buck use him in the 9th of a 7-3 game yesterday? I know Strop is completely unreliable but we have to be more judicious with when J.J. pitches. Put Hunter in, anybody. I usually don't like to blame the manager because it's the players who execute, but every move Buck made today backfired. And it was beyond obvious that Gonzalez had lost the plot in the 6th. Buck waited too long and allowed Oakland back into this thing.

We used him because of Strop like you said. The only thing today is I would of used Hunter. This game is on Gonzo, 5 run lead into the 6th and he fell apart, that is all on him.

Buck played this game like he wanted to lose it.

Left Gonzalez in much too long. Didn't warm up anyone until it was too late.

Left Matusz in to face a righty...who happens to be the best player on their team.

Put Strop in a tie game...left him in for the 10th.

So he left Matusz in to long and also he let Pedro pitch in the 9th and 10th. Hmm so what was your suggesting. Matusz out Pedro out. Mabe you wanted Davis in there.

Coming into this game, right-handers were putting up a .067/.222/.067/.289 line against Matusz this year. Cespedes went down, out of the zone and hit a changeup over the fence. It wasn't a great pitch, but sometimes you have to tip the cap to the other guy. With JJ out and O'day already out of the game, there is no one on the team I'd rather have face Cespedes than Matusz. It just didn't work out.

As for Gonzalez, he was cruising and things went to hell quickly. Hard to fault Buck there. I don't have any confidence in Strop, but do you have confidence in Hunter in a tie game? Strop gave up single, misplayed a bunt and then Machado screwed up the next bunt. Bad defense more than bad pitching in the 10th.

Archived