This game is all on Buck

Nicks124

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we are concerned with Johnson's overuse, and it's right to be concerned, then why did Buck use him in the 9th of a 7-3 game yesterday? I know Strop is completely unreliable but we have to be more judicious with when J.J. pitches. Put Hunter in, anybody. I usually don't like to blame the manager because it's the players who execute, but every move Buck made today backfired. And it was beyond obvious that Gonzalez had lost the plot in the 6th. Buck waited too long and allowed Oakland back into this thing.

This is a good point. I was not a fan of Buck bringing JJ into that game yesterday. I just felt it wasn't that big a situation yet. Buck managing today wasn't a problem, but the unavailability of JJ today can be considered Buck's fault. Either way, if Patton doesn't give up a two-run homer to a lefty and Matusz doesn't give up the homer to Cespedes, we win this game. Let's just place blame where it belongs, and that's on the players.

I'll still take 3 out of 4.

Coming into this game, right-handers were putting up a .067/.222/.067/.289 line against Matusz this year. Cespedes went down, out of the zone and hit a changeup over the fence. It wasn't a great pitch, but sometimes you have to tip the cap to the other guy. With JJ out and O'day already out of the game, there is no one on the team I'd rather have face Cespedes than Matusz. It just didn't work out.

As for Gonzalez, he was cruising and things went to hell quickly. Hard to fault Buck there. I don't have any confidence in Strop, but do you have confidence in Hunter in a tie game? Strop gave up single, misplayed a bunt and then Machado screwed up the next bunt. Bad defense more than bad pitching in the 10th.

I agree. Strop should have taken the sure out at first, walked Crisp and hoped for a DP ball.

Once Strop pitched the 9th I would of let him in to pitch the 10th. At that point no need to waste another arm. To me if you are going to question Buck it is why he didn't use Hunter in the 6th or even in place of Matusz in the 9th. I know why he did it, he wants backup for Britton.

We had McFarland britton and hunter all ready to go multiple innings in a tie extra inning ball game.

Sticking with a god awful strop after seeing the debacle yesterday and him walking the first batter he faced tonight was just flat out inexcusable managing.

Put hunter in and take your chances with him but for gods sake, stop letting strop into pressure situations!!!

There was another thread on here this week about Buck's poor management of the bullpen. Today's game seems like another example, as he seemed to go with both Mutusz and Patton one more inning than he should have. I think this is all a product of the team trying to hold on to McFarland and carry an extra position player. I don't know if the pen can continue to dominate at the rate some of our guys are throwing.

Good post. I am sure they can't.

Look I am defending Buck today but to me you don't need 2 longmen. Not the end of the world but I would of used Hunter at some point. McFarland has one inning of work in the last week.

You do when you have our starting rotation.

Why can't we use McFarland in a high-leverage situation? He's been excellent so far.

He's another LHP. 50% of our RHPs in our pen are brutal. You cannot have two effective righties, especially when one is unavailable and the other only gets two outs in a game where your starter only goes 5.1. Matusz can't pitch to Cespedes, but as others have stated, Gonzo screwed them.

The reason Buck stayed with Ginzo so long, and Patton, and Matusz, is the same reason we lost. The pen is close to being fried. If Britton doesn't go deep(fat chance)tomorrow,things will be even worse. We were just lucky this didn't go too far in extra innings today.

Overreaction on your part. The team took 3 of 4 from Oakland. You should be

happy. IMO

What you said has no bearing on the fact that Buck was awful tonight. Those 3 games we won are meaningless for the purposes of discussing how bad he was tonight.

And honestly, he wasn't great yesterday either throwing in strop yesterday too and there by forcing us to burn Jj

Archived